Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Flashing lights to warn of speed traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHARGES DROPPED against a North Houston man who was arrested in October for holding up a sign warning motorists of a speed trap. Ron Martin was charged with violating a sign ordinance, but he maintained he was exercising his constitutional rights of free speech.

Source: Dallas Morning News

“The Constitution still applies in Frisco, Texas,” Meisinger said. “Ron Martin is not going to be bullied by anyone.”

© Copyright Original Source

http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/201...ce-ahead.html/
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Social media has definitely changed how effective DUI checkpoints are. I just read an article in the paper about how they had one at the I-35 South exit right by a major multi-block bar/clubbing district in Kansas City last night, and they only caught eight people. People are finding out about these ahead of time.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Social media has definitely changed how effective DUI checkpoints are. I just read an article in the paper about how they had one at the I-35 South exit right by a major multi-block bar/clubbing district in Kansas City last night, and they only caught eight people. People are finding out about these ahead of time.
        Yeah, there are apps for that -- even for appradio for your car's GPS/Navi.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A good buddy of mine is a LEO here. I asked him about the flashing lights for warning about police ahead. He said there's no law against it, and our municipal judge would throw out any ticket written for it.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            A good buddy of mine is a LEO here. I asked him about the flashing lights for warning about police ahead. He said there's no law against it, and our municipal judge would throw out any ticket written for it.
            Yeah, I think local municipalities are adding this as a statute so they can write money.

Howdy LJ!!!! So good to see you! Welcome back! Did you know CITE TAGS WORK!?!?!?!

Comment

I didn't even know they were broken... I just got here and boy are my arms tired...

HOWDY CP! Long time no...uhh....talk?
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                I just got here and boy are my arms tired...
                he made you flap your arms the whole way didn't he?
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Why does "freedom of speech" then not include standing outside an abortion clinic and praying?

Or telling people that adultery, fornication and homosexuality are sins in a letter to the editor or online or to a group of people?

Or telling people that without Christ they are bound for an eternity away from the presence of God?

Seems to me that "freedom of speech" is highly subjective.
                  You said it, moss.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment