Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Flashing lights to warn of speed traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I remember in the old days when you would get a "Trip Tik" from Triple A -- and it would map our your trip with a collection of city and state maps, your route higlighted in yellow or green. And there would be numerous "red stamped" markings like "speed trap" or "Construction". I used to wonder if somebody just sat in a back room indiscriminately stamping "speed trap" at various points along the way, or if they really had reliable information that there WERE speed traps there.
    I used to work for Triple A and yes we had reliable information.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
      I used to work for Triple A and yes we had reliable information.
      You're no fun!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You're no fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The supreme court has determined that freedom of speech doesn't include such things as facilitating illegal activities or engaging in such activities.
          Surely flashing your lights at someone to let them know there is a speed trap ahead is also telling them to slow down and obey the law, and is therefore not facilitating or engaging in illegal activities, but rather encouraging compliance with the law?

ETA: have have zero time for dunk drivers, and if the cops have a road block for doing breath tests, I don't warn people
          Last edited by Raphael; 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM.
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

@CP you should check out this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
              Yeah, I have a Pioneer Radio/GPS, and the guy at Best Buy was telling about the AppRadio stuff.... pretty cool!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm actually personally pretty scrupulous about following the speed limit, which is the less stressful way of handling everything.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I'm actually personally pretty scrupulous about following the speed limit, which is the less stressful way of handling everything.
                  Likewise, although I battled a bit when I first moved to NZ as the speed limits here are lower.
                  100km/h on State Highways (outside of town obviously) compared to the 120km/h in South Africa.
                  50km/h in town compared to 60km/h

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

or you could just go so fast that by the time the cops even see you, you are 2 miles down the road...

Comment

Surely flashing your lights at someone to let them know there is a speed trap ahead is also telling them to slow down and obey the law, and is therefore not facilitating or engaging in illegal activities, but rather encouraging compliance with the law?
                      I see it as such: prior to the flashing some drivers would have been speeding and thus breaking the law. Your flashing of the lights signals them to slow down and thus escape the punishment of having sped.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        I see it as such: prior to the flashing some drivers would have been speeding and thus breaking the law. Your flashing of the lights signals them to slow down and thus escape the punishment of having sped.
                        So if I see you steal something from someone and I tell you to put it back before you get caught, am I helping you escape the punishment of stealing?

I think it boils down to "what is the purpose of speed traps" if they are to get people to drive slower, then giving a warning is going to make them drive slower (mission accomplished). If the purpose is to punish everyone who happened to be speeding somewhere on the road, then why not put in Averaging Speed Cameras.

if the purpose is just revenue gathering.....well the cops shouldn't be doing revenue gathering.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

So if I see you steal something from someone and I tell you to put it back before you get caught, am I helping you escape the punishment of stealing?
                          Are you trying to tell me that after passing the speed trap those who had been speeding would remain below the speed limit for the rest of their journey?

I think it boils down to "what is the purpose of speed traps" if they are to get people to drive slower, then giving a warning is going to make them drive slower (mission accomplished). If the purpose is to punish everyone who happened to be speeding somewhere on the road, then why not put in Averaging Speed Cameras.

if the purpose is just revenue gathering.....well the cops shouldn't be doing revenue gathering.
                          Another possibility: over time through repeated fines to deter habitual speeders.

Comment

Are you trying to tell me that after passing the speed trap those who had been speeding would remain below the speed limit for the rest of their journey?
                            Uhh yes.
                            My last speeding fine happened when I was overtaking someone. In the process of executing a safe overtake I happened to go over the limit. By the time I was back in my lane I was back to doing the posted 90km/h.
                            Other times if I have been doing a little over the limit, and I get flashed by someone, I've slowed down and stuck to the limit for the rest of my journey.

Another possibility: over time through repeated fines to deter habitual speeders.
                            Averaging speed cameras would be the best solution.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Uhh yes.
                              My last speeding fine happened when I was overtaking someone. In the process of executing a safe overtake I happened to go over the limit. By the time I was back in my lane I was back to doing the posted 90km/h.
                              Other times if I have been doing a little over the limit, and I get flashed by someone, I've slowed down and stuck to the limit for the rest of my journey.
                              Are you willing to admit two things: that many people intentionally surpass the speed limit unnecessarily for convenience, that is, break the law in pure selfishness, and that most of such intentional speeding is habitual? If so, my point loses none of its force.

Comment

You all might like to look at Item 12 of this British Parliamentary Report: THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SPEED AND CASUALTIES:
                                "Hit by a car at 40 mph, nine out of ten pedestrians will be killed.

Hit by a car at 30 mph, about half of pedestrians will be killed.

Hit by a car at 20 mph, nine out of ten pedestrians will survive."

Of course, if Americans are as fat on average as often reported, perhaps they roll with the blow better?

Comment