Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Europe ready to put a stop to mass African immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe ready to put a stop to mass African immigration

Anybody else been following the mass migrations from Africa to Europe (with the multiple shipwrecks in the last few days?) Europe is finally ready to say enough; that they can't sustain that amount of population growth. I suspect they're going to have to commit to some sort of Mediterranean military presence to actually do anything though.

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/glo...igrants-314027

In the interests of keeping this thread reasonably on topic, Epo is asked not to post.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

It's a very tough and complex issue. It is not illegal to seek asylum. We have similar issues here in Oz which polarise the population.

My own stance is that European nations should band together and with cooperation of north African nations set up asylum seeker refugee camps that are well run and not punitive to process asylum seeker claims. Asylum seekers who seek to circumvent the process should be returned to these centres and placed at the end of the queue.

I have similar thoughts about our own asylum seeker issues. The object would be to discourage asylum seekers from taking risky sea voyages and to make the services of people smugglers unattractive.

In this discussion, it's worth noting that the proportion of migrants who are asylum seekers and travel by sea is relatively small compared to illegal migrants who arrive by plane and overstay their visas. So population control needs to be addressed broadly rather than focussing on this particular issue imo.

Comment

The problem is (as Australia has found out with dealing with their "boat people") is there isn't an easy answer (i.e. where do you send them).

I hope they can find a solution (I agree the boats need stopping)
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Europe ready to put a stop to mass African immigration
        Let's all say it together: rayciss.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          Let's all say it together: rayciss.
          Preferably you should pronounce the "ss" like a hissing snake, in order to sound excessively rabid.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            Preferably you should pronounce the "ss" like a hissing snake, in order to sound excessively rabid.
            I bow to your superior experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              I bow to your superior experience.
              Thank you.

Comment