Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Jacobins nominate themselves as guillotine candidates-Wisconsin edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberal Jacobins nominate themselves as guillotine candidates-Wisconsin edition

In Wisconsin, it's apparently A-OK to call in the SWAT team to raid private homes of people on the slimmest of pretenses:

The article describes how these raids were conducted as part of “John Doe” investigations into whether conservative groups had “coordinated” with Scott Walker in violation of campaign finance laws. I believe such “coordination” is First Amendment activity. If I want to take out full-page newspaper ads about how great Ted Cruz is, and I get ideas that convince me from Cruz’s campaign, I believe that should be covered by the First Amendment. But even if my pro-speech view is not accepted (and so far it has not been), the fact remains that a judge later ruled that there was no legal basis for the investigation that justified these raids, and quashed all the subpoenas.

The investigations were conducted at the behest of a prosecutor whose offices “were festooned with the ‘blue fist’ poster of the labor-union movement.” According to one prosecutor who spoke to journalist Stuart Taylor, the wife of the lead prosecutor, John Chisholm, was “a teachers’-union shop steward who was distraught over Act 10’s union reforms” — and Chisholm “felt it was his personal duty” to stop the reforms. Pursuant to the politically motivated subpoenas lacking in probable cause, prosecutors subpoenaed electronic data such as emails and conducted these abusive raids.

It’s the type of activity you would expect to see from the Stasi in East Germany. Conservative activists in Wisconsin literally do not feel safe.
    The cops who participated in this action have just given homeowners carte blanche to shoot anyone, police or not, who attempts to invade their houses under any circumstances. Here's an example of the wrong conservative/libertarian response:

Originally posted by Glenn Reynolds
    Is this un-American? Yes, yes it is. And the prosecutors involved — who were attacking supporters of legislation that was intended to rein in unions' power in the state — deserve to be punished. Abusing law enforcement powers to punish political opponents, and to discourage contributions to political enemies, is a crime, and it should also be grounds for disbarment.
    I believe he meant to use the term "execution." A prosecutor merely disbarred in the Noble Struggle Against Rethuglicanism will find too many sympathizers and consulting opportunities among the Tassmans and Starlights of the world. This man needs to be made an example of as soon as possible, or the Powers that Be are going to be The Powers that Were much sooner than they think.

John Birch and Joe McCarthy, as always, were right.

Fascism, plain and simple!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Wrong word alert! It can't be fascism. It may be wrong (from this rather biased perspective) but it can't be 'fascism'. That word means something else.

Comment

Re-reading Epo's first post, I note he's calling for the death certain 'enemies' of his point of view. I know it's a just Epo venting but I don't believe a civil community should tolerate calls for death.

Comment

Using the cops to suppress political opponents is precisely the short of thing that should guarantee a summary execution.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
            Re-reading Epo's first post, I note he's calling for the death certain 'enemies' of his point of view. I know it's a just Epo venting but I don't believe a civil community should tolerate calls for death.
            No, he's calling for the 'execution' of certain people.

Comment

Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post
              No, he's calling for the 'execution' of certain people.
              Execution involves death.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Using the cops to suppress political opponents is precisely the short of thing that should guarantee a summary execution.
                I can't imagine what life is like inside your head: so much anger and violence. If I was a Christian, I'd be praying for you. Unfortunately, you'll have to make do with my good hopes and intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Execution involves death.
                  Same result, different connotation.

Comment

Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post
                    Same result, different connotation.
                    One has to ask, apart from over the top rhetorical flourish, is it reasonable or virtuous to call for the 'execution' guilty of a political crime. It seems a tad disingenuous when his complaint is about someone who used the law for political ends.

Comment

I can't imagine what life is like inside your head: so much anger and violence.
                      Anger?
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

One has to ask, apart from over the top rhetorical flourish, is it reasonable or virtuous to call for the 'execution' guilty of a political crime.
                        One has to ask "Why not?"

You've made a lot of noise but have not suggested any reason to not do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                          One has to ask "Why not?"

You've made a lot of noise but have not suggested any reason to not do it.
                          I don't know, I seem to recall somebody saying not to murder people, that and the historical happiness that has resulted from a policy of executing one's political opponents be they left or right.

Comment

I don't know, I seem to recall somebody saying not to murder people, that and the historical happiness that has resulted from a policy of executing one's political opponents be they left or right.
                            Capital punishment is not murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              Capital punishment is not murder.
                              I don't think Epo was advocating a lawful capital punishment but rather a revolutionary house cleansing, rather like ethnic cleansing but instead liberal cleansing. He is advocating executions that as the law stands now would be illegal.

Comment