Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

They Will Ruin Our Military!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Will Ruin Our Military!

This is both dangerous and stupid...

By Rowan Scarborough - The Washington Times - Sunday, April 19, 2015

Two years ago, Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, the nation’s top military officer, laid down an edict on the Obama administration’s plan to open direct land combat jobs to women: If women cannot meet a standard, senior commanders better have a good reason why it should not be lowered.

Today, the “Dempsey rule” appears to have its first test case.

The Marine Corps just finished research to see if female officers could successfully complete its rigorous Infantry Officer Course.

A IOC diploma is a must to earn the designation of infantry officer. Of 29 women who tried, none graduated; only four made it through the first day’s combat endurance test.

Corps public affairs said it did not have the data on which tasks proved the toughest for women. But one particularly demanding upper-body strength test is climbing a 25-foot rope with a backpack full of gear. A candidate who cannot crawl to the top fails the test.

Traditionalists see the 0-29 performance as a call to arms by those inside the Pentagon who are determined to have significant numbers of women in the infantry. They are on the lookout for standards they believe are no longer relevant in today’s battlefield....

....“The pressure is on the services from the White House’s politically correct crowd vis-a-vis Obama’s Pentagon appointees, who will force the services to accept degraded standards,” said Robert Maginnis, a retired Army officer and author of the book “Deadly Consequences: How Cowards Are Pushing Women Into Combat.”
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz3XslnJ6Hd
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

While I wouldn't say that women are ruining our military, I feel that they should be able to hit a certain standard that isn't easy to obtain by either genders.
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Physical strength isn't as important for the military as it used to be. I think the tests should be more endurance-based than strength-based.
      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
        Physical strength isn't as important for the military as it used to be. I think the tests should be more endurance-based than strength-based.
        They should still be able to climb a rope wearing a standard backpack-full of equipment. It still requires a certain amount of upper body strength to get from point A to point B in battle space, which is rarely so convenient a location as an open field.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          They should still be able to climb a rope wearing a standard backpack-full of equipment. It still requires a certain amount of upper body strength to get from point A to point B in battle space, which is rarely so convenient a location as an open field.
          That depends on what a backpack-full of equipment needs to be. Equipment can be made very light these days.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Not only that, but each combatant, when wounded, is dependent upon his/her "buddies", and they need to be able to pull or carry him/her to safety. As long as there are "boots on the ground", there will always be this physical requirement.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That depends on what a backpack-full of equipment needs to be. Equipment can be made very light these days.
              Soldiers cannot me made so light.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Soldiers cannot me made so light.
                Good point. But that's not the point of the rope climb.

Comment

Everything else being equal it's better to have stronger soldiers than weaker soldiers. Lowering standards just because women (or anyone else who can't meet them) want to be soldiers should never, ever be done. Society validates attention whoring too much as it is.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The Israeli Army has been effectively integrated by women since the formation of the State of Israel and before with no problems.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Good point. But that's not the point of the rope climb.
                      In a way, it is - because it's proving upper body strength which is crucial.

Same thing with a lot of fire departments - they lowered their standards for strength because many women couldn't meet the standards, so some big strong firefighter may be totally dependent on some smaller lighter weaker woman to pull him to safety. It puts others at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        The Israeli Army has been effectively integrated by women since the formation of the State of Israel and before with no problems.
                        How do you know there were "no problems"?

Source: WND.com

“History shows that the presence of women has had a devastating impact on the effectiveness of men in battle,” wrote John Luddy in July 27, 1994, for the Heritage Foundation backgrounder.

“For example, it is a common misperception that Israel allows women in combat units. In fact, women have been barred from combat in Israel since 1950, when a review of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War showed how harmful their presence could be. The study revealed that men tried to protect and assist women rather than continue their attack. As a result, they not only put their own lives in greater danger, but also jeopardized the survival of the entire unit. The study further revealed that unit morale was damaged when men saw women killed and maimed on the battlefield,” Luddy said.

Writes Edward Norton, a reservist in the Israel Defense Forces: “Women have always played an important role in the Israeli military, but they rarely see combat; if they do, it is usually by accident. No one in Israel, including feminists, has any objection to this situation. The fact that the Persian Gulf War has produced calls to allow women on the front lines proves only how atypical that war was and how little Americans really understand combat.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2001/08/10269/#0YoFGOlw07Yqz0Ag.99

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-20-2015, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          And, since there is no valid source OTHER than the NYT, let's see what they have to say:

Source: NYTimes

As the United States moves to integrate more women into combat roles, some have looked to Israel, which on paper has one of the most gender-neutral militaries in the world, starting with a universal draft (although, since many do civilian service instead, only half of women enlist, compared with 70 percent of the nation’s men). But the episode near Mount Harif in September highlighted some of the complex realities behind the policies of the Israel Defense Forces, where it remains rare for women to kill or be killed, and questions persist about their fitness.

While more than 92 percent of I.D.F. jobs are now open to women — they are fighter pilots, infantry officers, naval captains and Humvee drivers — just 3 percent serve in combat roles.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

There is also the issue of numbers, which Israel needs and the US does not. It's apples and oranges.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Solid points, Cow Poke. I've been wondering how well women are integrated in the Israeli military.

Comment