Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Israel refuses to recognise Armenian genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel refuses to recognise Armenian genocide

Israel does not plan to recognize the Armenian genocide perpetrated by Turkey, Rafael Harpaz, Israel's ambassador to Azerbaijan, told Azeri website Trend. “Israel is a democratic country, everybody has two opinions, not one opinion,” Harpaz said. “The government has a very clear opinion.”

He said Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman had made Israel's policy clear.
    The irony is immense given their own history; the continuing refusal can only spur more Holocaust denial.
    Last edited by Paprika; 04-20-2015, 03:32 AM.

very sad!!!
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The United States won't recognize it either. Barack Obama made a big deal about it... until he became president and realized the foreign policy implications involving Turkey.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Must be jealousy against the only group outside of Greeks being higher-functioning gypsies than themselves. Armenians seem to be a people who tend to invite genocide when organized as a people:

The density of diversity in L.A. County provides a critical mass that allows the bad apples to find each other. In most of the U.S., for instance, Armenians are well-behaved. In Southern California, however, there are 170,000 Armenians, enough to furnish an Armenian street gang, Armenian Power, as well as transnational mafias with roots in the old Soviet Union.
        I hasten to remind the various leftists here that the worst of them were the ones who grew up under Communism:

In addition to the critical mass issue, one of the interesting things about Armenian criminality, whether in LA or NY, is that it’s skewed overwhelmingly toward people from Soviet Armenia rather than Lebanon or Syria or Turkey or Egypt. And this is despite the fact that the immigrants from the former Soviet Armenia are almost all the first cousins, literally, of the people who came from the non-Soviet middle east, because the people emigrating from Armenia are those (plus their children and grandchildren) who made aliyah, as it were, to Armenia after WWII by the tens of thousands. The ones who stayed in Syria and Iraq etc. and then came to the US are basically successful middle class immigrants but their first and second cousins who lived under communism were basically wrecked, morally, by the experience.
        A much bigger step forward would be for Israel to recognize and repudiate the Ukrainian genocide:

The Ukrainians, in any event, clearly have as good a claim as the Armenians to being victims of genocide, perhaps better, as the famine was clearly both intentional and centrally directed, whereas there is some ambiguity about the Armenian case as to both the objective – eliminate the Armenian nation or forcibly remove it? – and the degree to which it was centrally planned....

Whatever its precise magnitude, the Ukrainian Holocaust is perhaps the most ignored event of the 20th Century. The only persons I’ve ever heard use the phrase “Ukrainian Holocaust” on television have been Pat Buchanan and Mel Gibson during the “Passion of the Christ” brouhaha. I imagine the phrase went right over the heads of 99% of the people watching the interview, but I also suspect (although without much evidence) that Mel was aiming it to be a thumb in the eye to Abe Foxman of the ADL and the like to show them that he knows that they know the secret of the Ukrainian Holocaust.

What is the secret?

The reason you almost never hear about the Ukrainian Holocaust, unlike, say, the Armenian Holocaust of 1915, is that among “Stalin’s Willing Executioners” (to use Berkeley historian Yuri Slezkine’s phrase in his landmark 2004 book, The Jewish Century, which restores the dignity of Jews, after decades of being portrayed solely as passive victims of history, by showing how Jews, qua Jews, were among the most dynamic actors in the central events of the 20th Century) in the Ukraine, secular Jews were vastly over-represented in proportion to their small numbers

Stalin went out of his way to assign Jewish secret policemen to the homicidal collectivization of Ukrainian agricultural because, being a close student how he could exploit all that is twisted and hate-ridden in history, he knew that Jewish Communists would be the least likely to show mercy to the Ukrainian peasants due to the ancient ethnic animus between the farmers and the Jews employed by the ruling Polish nobles as rent and tax collectors, a hostility which culminated in the pogroms of the 1648 anti-Polish uprising in the Ukraine.
        If you're organized, powerful, and dignified enough to have your own nation, you're organized, dignified, and powerful enough to take your own responsibility for your own people when they participate in the crimes of nations. A public apology would be nice, especially given that the Jews were actually the primary actors there, whereas the responsibility for recognition of the Armenian genocide rests entirely on whoever inherited the Ottoman Empire's legacy (not Israel.)

Comment

Saying that a group "invites" genocide on themselves is pretty low, even for you, Epo.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
            The irony is immense given their own history; the continuing refusal can only spur more Holocaust denial.
            Given that the Armenian genocide was precedential for the Holocaust, quite.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
              Must be jealousy against the only group outside of Greeks being higher-functioning gypsies than themselves. Armenians seem to be a people who tend to invite genocide when organized as a people:

snip

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Saying that a group "invites" genocide on themselves is pretty low, even for you, Epo.
                If your blood relatives, cousins, partially inbred extended family, and people behave terribly, cruelly, and destructively when organized as a people, then I have little instinctual hatred for those who band together to destroy that people, even if the ones who band together to do so commit the grievous and unpardonable sins of being the majority ethnic group in the region. I will never criticize the Germans for killing Gypsies, the Russians for killing Chechens, or even the South Africans for killing Nigerian crime syndicates and other immigrant opportunists. If the key to success in criminality is to claim membership among the Oppressed Minorities, then too bad for the oppressed minorities.

Really, I've maintained this position and defended its variants for quite a long time, did you really expect it was held lightly, or thrown away because Jews and Arminians had special exemptions? Have you read the Old Testament?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Did the Amalekites invite genocide on themselves?
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is in your link, Italians also formed mafias at some point. Armenia's crime rates are very low and the presence of some small time gangs that just kill each other is meaningless without statistics as you can find gangs of just about anybody.

On top of that historically Armenians were quite subdued and the Ottoman genocide was an expression of Muslim supremacy rather than hatred because of a non-existent criminal reputation.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Have you read the Old Testament?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          I don't see what the big deal is in your link, Italians also formed mafias at some point.
                          Are you aware of any group that doesn't have organized crime gangs? It is hardly unique to the Italians.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Given that the Armenian genocide was precedential for the Holocaust, quite.
                            On August 22, 1939, in preparation for the invasion of Poland which took place a week later, Hitler gave a speech to Reichmarshal Hermann Goering and the Wehrmacht commanders at his Obersalzberg home in which he infamously remarked "Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?" while summarizing his genocidal plans for the Poles.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Are you aware of any group that doesn't have organized crime gangs? It is hardly unique to the Italians.
                              I'm unaware of any Danish ethnic gangs in the US. I'm sure I could name a bunch of countries that probably don't have them, actually. I name-dropped Italians because Italy is a modern western country and their mafia is fairly well known.

Comment