Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

City ordinances against absentee property owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City ordinances against absentee property owners

In Kansas City, two apartment buildings in a bad part of town have fallen into disrepair and become used for prostitution and drug deals. The newspaper found out that they are owned by two business partners living in Colorado, and one is a city councilwoman in Colorado Springs. They are refusing to do anything about the properties.

The city is considering legislation that would require companies owning rental properties in the city to maintain a representative somewhere in the area (not necessarily within the city limits, but just locally). This seems reasonable to me; what say you?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Obviously this insolent action by local government with delusions of ownership discriminates against oppressed overseas land-buyers and their scrappy holding companies just trying to make it in this harsh world.

But seriously, who better to feel the heat of local government forcing responsibility than the suicidal, sociopathic transplant community?

Comment

Looks like a situation for which the use of eminent domain would be appropriate.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I don't see the point. Other cities have ordinances regulating the upkeep of property to a certain extent. Some aggressively enforce them. After certain due process, the city cleans it up for you and then bills you for it. If you don't pay, they'll put a lien against your property. I've heard of more extreme cases where the owners failed to respond to legal processes. The property was seized and sold by the local jurisdiction to recoup their clean-up costs. No part of the process that I'm aware of requires the owner to be local.
        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
          But seriously, who better to feel the heat of local government forcing responsibility than the suicidal, sociopathic transplant community?
          Kansas City isn't in the west. Or were you intending to post on topic at all?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Did you actually read the article (and look at the map)?
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              Did you actually read the article (and look at the map)?
              Yep. I see Jackson County is red on the map but it's still a very random tangent. Having a random topic generator on here is amusing.
              Last edited by KingsGambit; 04-19-2015, 05:25 PM.

Comment

(And I seriously doubt there are many white neighbors living on Prospect.)

Comment

Suicide rates for white males are second only to native american males and well above black ones.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    When I used the term "feeling the heat" and associated it with the property owners in Colorado, which is and has been considered a primarily Western state, which does show up deep red on the map, especially in the Colorado Springs area, who had the motivation and knowledge necessary to buy land in Kansas city with little to no intention of taking any responsibility for it (possibly exploiting state/federal laws subsidizing low-income housing,) and who became respected members of the local business and governing communities in a state not known for its rootedness or concern for the background of those who settle there, I was, in fact, on both topics. You need to get some life experience before you try to read between the lines.

You should also read through the comments on my link for the proper attitude to take:

Originally posted by Feryl
                    "Why did these suicides out west move there in the first place? That's the big question. It could be that they wanted to escape bitter memories of their pasts and start their lives over,"

Bridge burners they are. Con men and parasites don't move on 'til the mark is on to them. I have a hunch that drifting [expletive deleted] tend to gradually drift towards either Florida or California (Texas to a lesser degree as Texans are more likely to shoot your lyin' Edited by a Moderator off). Inevitably they'll wear out their welcome even in those states and end up in the mountain/desert states. If they're not locked up or dead yet, there's obviously a strong chance that they'll eventually be put out of their misery in the Wild West.

The romantic mythology is that people go out West to seek adventure and possibly a fresh start. The reality is that many of these people just didn't fit into the more responsible, traditional values of the East (or to a lesser extent, the comparative stability of the West Coast).
                    As you aren't an American with strong roots in the nation currently, I will forgive you for not having picked up on the general social and cultural observations. But these stereotypes are stereotypes because they're generally true.

Moderated By: QuantaFille

When you edit for language, make sure you get it all.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 04-20-2015, 02:17 PM.

Comment