Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

South Bend school field trip causes controversy among some parents

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • South Bend school field trip causes controversy among some parents

    Source: http://www.abc57.com/story/28816153/school-field-trip-causes-controversy-among-some-parents



    A South Bend school field trip turned into a conversation about race after students at local primary schools were offered a chance to visit three area colleges. The trips are only for African-American students.

    Some parents have told ABC 57 they believe this is discrimination but the school corporation says this is all just a misunderstanding and it is not meant to be a discriminatory trip.

    We should be able to do everything together and not separate, says parent Charles Yost.

    I feel like all kids should be going, says Deirdra Mullings who has a son going on one of the field trips.

    It creates a double standard, says parent Kelley Garing.

    Dr. G. David Moss is the director for African-American student/parent services with the South Bend Community Schools Corporation. He says statistically black students are less likely to think of college as a real possibility.

    I want these third graders to have the opportunity to think of themselves as college students, says Dr. Moss.

    Dr. Moss says that's why he organized this initiative for those students to visit higher education institutions around South Bend.

    We take them to a college campus, have them meet African-American students, modeling the idea that as a black person, college is a great place, says Dr. Moss.

    But that didn't sit well with some South Bend parents who say, these trips should include everyone.

    I just think it breeds intolerance and creates misunderstandings, says Garing.

    On the flip side, one mother says she understands Dr. Moss' mission.

    I don't think it's a race issue, I think they're giving black children a chance, says Erika Herron.

    © Copyright Original Source

    That's what
    - She

    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    Stephen R. Donaldson

  • #2
    People get outraged over everything.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

    Comment


    • #3
      I've been saying for quite some time that I wish some black leaders would stand up and be examples to young black people, encouraging them to excel, rather than using race as an excuse for failure.

      Unless there's some hidden component here, it looks to me like that's what's happening in this situation.
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since youve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?

      Comment


      • #4
        I think the intention is a good one but it seems a dumb way to try to handle it.

        Comment


        • #5
          There's a time to encourage people to think about themselves as college students. It's sometime after their SAT scores come in.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I've been saying for quite some time that I wish some black leaders would stand up and be examples to young black people, encouraging them to excel, rather than using race as an excuse for failure.

            Unless there's some hidden component here, it looks to me like that's what's happening in this situation.
            I found the last statement in the cite to be rather ironic.
            That's what
            - She

            Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

            I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            Stephen R. Donaldson

            Comment


            • #7
              It's well intentioned, but I see no reason that the program should not be offered to all students attending the same school. Its unfair.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                I found the last statement in the cite to be rather ironic.
                Yeah, there's that.
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since youve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Are programs that try to put girls (and only girls) in touch with women in engineering and such a problem?
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    It's well intentioned, but I see no reason that the program should not be offered to all students attending the same school. Its unfair.
                    Come on Jim, it's not that hard to say: it's racist.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      For people who disapprove of this trip, I have two alternatives and would like to hear your thoughts.

                      What if they took everyone on these trips and then split them up based on their interest, like "the black college experience", "engineering for women", "pre-med", etc. in the same way students choose electives?

                      or

                      What if this trip was only for black students and later they have a trip for all students with a schedule of meetings and tours applicable to the general student population? In this case the black students would get a trip that caters to their needs but the other students don't miss out on tours exploring the college option.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        For people who disapprove of this trip, I have two alternatives and would like to hear your thoughts.

                        What if they took everyone on these trips and then split them up based on their interest, like "the black college experience", "engineering for women", "pre-med", etc. in the same way students choose electives?

                        or

                        What if this trip was only for black students and later they have a trip for all students with a schedule of meetings and tours applicable to the general student population? In this case the black students would get a trip that caters to their needs but the other students don't miss out on tours exploring the college option.
                        Seems to be a more positive version of "separate but equal" to me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          But why in the world are they taking 3rd graders to college campuses? Junior high seems to me the earliest that college would make any sense to students.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                            Come on Jim, it's not that hard to say: it's racist.
                            Its not racist unless the intent is racist, and I don't believe that to be the case here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Are programs that try to put girls (and only girls) in touch with women in engineering and such a problem?
                              Yes. Feminist social engineering has no business in education (or any other government institution for that matter).
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                              There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Bill the Cat, Today, 02:47 PM
                              1 response
                              12 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Thoughtful Monk, Today, 10:59 AM
                              26 responses
                              79 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Thoughtful Monk  
                              Started by Ronson, 11-21-2020, 09:47 PM
                              46 responses
                              278 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, 11-21-2020, 11:46 AM
                              61 responses
                              386 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, 11-21-2020, 09:34 AM
                              43 responses
                              229 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bill the Cat  
                              Working...
                              X