Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

N.J. man goes out of business over 'White History Month'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.J. man goes out of business over 'White History Month'

You could say he dug his own grave with his mouth, and now he wants help getting out from under.

Jim Boggess, whose "White History Month" sign at his New Jersey deli ignited a firestorm, has posted a new placard.

This one says: "Forced Out of Business." And he's also posted a GoFundMe page pleading for money from strangers.

On the crowd-sourcing site, Boggess writes, "On march 1st, I hung a sign in my deli window saying, 'Celebrate your white heritage in March, White History Month' ... Then the bottom dropped out and customers were no longer coming into my deli."

Saying he was forced to close his dying business, Boggess bemoans his fate and says he lost "my American dream."
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

I don't see anything wrong with the sign and while I don't agree with the customers' decisions to stop going, hey, it's their business. Similarly, if people want to give him money, that would also be their business.

Comment

Hmm, in a country that has more white history taught in schools than any other group, that has had the KKK and still has some neo nazis and other white supremissists popping up in a few places, if he is white (or white-ish) he should check his privilege (or perceived privilege) and market better. Celebrate your European history would have been a little better. Celebrate your German/Italian/Polish/Scandinavian/Slavik history would have been better yet.
      Last edited by Ana Dragule; 04-18-2015, 01:05 PM.
      I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
        Hmm, in a country that has more white history taught in schools than any other group, that has had the KKK and still has some neo nazis and other white supremissists popping up in a few places, if he is white (or white-ish) he should check his privilege (or perceived privilege) and market better. Celebrate your European history would have been a little better. Celebrate your German/Italian/Polish/Scandinavian/Slavik history would have been better yet.
        I'd question the premise that "White history" is taught more in schools.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

"White" isn't an ethnicity, is it?
          "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I'd question the premise that "White history" is taught more in schools.
            Yes, well, my white history isn't even acknowledge by my government, but I learned more European history than Asian, African, or Latin American, unless much has changed since I was in school. European Americans formed the dominant people of the first American colonies, they formed a lot of inventors we learned about, the soldiers we learned about in the revolutionary and civil wars, the presidents we learned about... They may not have had their whiteness celebrated the way that other groups have in their "history months" but they still formed a lot of the history I learned about.
            I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
              Nope. A race. And includes people who are discriminated against because they aren't the bright white of parts of Europe and people that honestly look more brown than white, but if post-9/11 taught us a couple things about this country, they don't know their browns and tans very well.
              I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
                Yes, well, my white history isn't even acknowledge by my government, but I learned more European history than Asian, African, or Latin American, unless much has changed since I was in school.
                Was it labeled as European history specifically? Or was it simply major historical events that happened to influence the path toward the forming of the US?

European Americans formed the dominant people of the first American colonies, they formed a lot of inventors we learned about, the soldiers we learned about in the revolutionary and civil wars, the presidents we learned about...
                Exactly. But it was because of what they did, not what color their skin was. And there was much in those events that intersected with other races. History classes that my children have had are replete with the events of the Native Americans, the South American empires, the African empires, the Oriental dynasties and hoards, and a host of other events that are not simply included because they are "white". It's history.

They may not have had their whiteness celebrated the way that other groups have in their "history months" but they still formed a lot of the history I learned about.
                And I'd bet that most of those stories involved other races when they were important to the actual events. The point I am making is exactly that. There is really no such thing as "white history" outside of discussions like this.
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I didn't hear a single thing about it from the national media, so I'm going to go waaaaaay out on a limb and say this is a false flag cash-in on the Pizzagate issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                    I didn't hear a single thing about it from the national media, so I'm going to go waaaaaay out on a limb and say this is a false flag cash-in on the Pizzagate issue.
                    I thought I put the link in...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nj-...nth/ar-AAbaGjM
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I think there's more to this story.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

From The Blaze:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...t-of-business/

NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2189508

A host of other sites have the story.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So, hearing nothing about this from the national media in March, having the tagline officially be "Then the bottom dropped out and customers were no longer coming into my deli," i.e., something no one who actually operates a business in the public eye would ever post if they were actually asking for money, having all sorts of public comments making him look as bad as possible, having the GoFundMe page be the only link to the actual issue.

All signs point to FAKE. It's pretty simple: Liberals in the media are still butthurt over the GoFundMe issue, so they're following their time-honored tradition of creating a fake victim and fake advocates/teachable contributors for that victim, so they can link that strawman to actual victims of media overreach like George Zimmerman and Memories Pizza. You should be ashamed of yourself for unthinkingly reposting it, it's like reposting a Rolling Stone article as news.

Comment

Did you know you can't amen a post of someone on your ignore list?

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
                              Not even close. White denotes pale skin of mainly European Middle Eastern the Indian subcontinent which is better described as Caucasian. However many Indians who are born in the us or Europe are born with very fair skin. Ancestry indicates most can be traced back to north Africa. We are all just mutts really. Although since whites can trace this back to North Africa I think Epo should be aware of this.
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment