Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Please Comment on Rick Scott's Lawsuit Over Hospital Funds and Medicaid Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpholding
    replied
    Update on this issue:

http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/226009

Gov. Rick Scott appeared on Fox News Thursday night and accused the federal government of behaving like the mafia and “bullying” the state during negotiations over supplemental Medicaid dollars to pay Florida hospitals.

“This is the Sopranos,” Scott said, referring to the hit HBO show about a New Jersey-based mafia family. “They are using bullying tactics to attack our state. It’s wrong. It’s outrageous they are doing this.”

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    I'm sticking up for Rick Scott because he is acting and speaking as a man and a leader should...
    Actually as far as I can tell he's a high functioning crook. About his only virtue appears to be that he mostly does what his constituents want him to. Unfortunately his constituents appear to be insane and possibly retarded (Florida Man is a stereotype for a reason) so that doesn't add up to much.

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Why is Epo sticking up for Rick Scott? Just cause he's a Republican? Seems to me that most politicians of either party aren't the best and most competent people in the world anyways.
    I'm sticking up for Rick Scott because he is acting and speaking as a man and a leader should...

Originally posted by KingsGambit
    the fact remains that we are stuck within the system/infrastructure we have. I am not okay with letting thousands of people slip through the cracks in the hopes of making a greater philosophical point.
    ...and I am speaking against this Weimar Republicanism in general, because if you let every decision you make be limited by the hypothetical and actual least responsible people in your group, you will ALWAYS be stuck with the system/infrastructure you have, until it dies naturally and abruptly, and kills off far more than any individual political move would, with far less warning!
    Last edited by Epoetker; 04-18-2015, 12:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Regardless of whether one thinks government should have powers, the fact remains that we are stuck within the system/infrastructure we have. While one could probably envision a way to privatize police/fire/etc., we cannot shut down these services overnight. Likewise, I am not okay with letting thousands of people slip through the cracks in the hopes of making a greater philosophical point.

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Why is Epo sticking up for Rick Scott? Just cause he's a Republican? Seems to me that most politicians of either party aren't the best and most competent people in the world anyways.
    Would you not agree that the more incompetent government is to take good care of us, the less power it should have (contra Epo, who wrote, more power to Scott).

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    I seem to recall warning all of you way back in the day that the primary effect of Obamacare would be to decimate the ranks of basic and family practice physicians.
    And you were far from alone on that.

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Considering how much Scott has slashed from medicaid already and that Florida is at the bottom of the barrel for how it treats its citizens who are uninsured or on medicaid I can see why Scott doesn't like this at all. However Florida desperately needs an overhaul. My daughter's dad is severely disabled and remains unable to find a basic family physician aside from a pill mill. I think the feds may need to step in.
    I seem to recall warning all of you way back in the day that the primary effect of Obamacare would be to decimate the ranks of basic and family practice physicians. Why, exactly, are you now crying to the federal government to fix a problem that it created?

Originally posted by Rick Scott
    "Not only does President Obama's end to LIP funding in Florida violate the law by crossing the line into a coercion tactic for Obamacare, it also threatens poor families' access to the safety net health care services they need. The population in Florida served under the LIP program is different from the population that would be covered under any Medicaid expansion, as is well documented in a recent Urban Institute report that said Florida would still have $1.6 billion in uncompensated care costs with or without an expansion of Medicaid.

"We will fight to protect the health care of Floridians, and their right to be free from federal overreach. Our citizens already pay federal taxes that go into the federal LIP program. Now, President Obama has decided that the state must take on a larger Medicaid program, forcing our taxpayers to pay even more to government, before they get their own federal tax dollars back. This is outrageous, and specifically what the Supreme Court warned against.

"Our democracy is designed so that state governments can make the decision to not take on federal programs that will ultimately cost state taxpayers billions of dollars. We will not pass this cost on to our citizens in Florida and we will continue to fight for the federal LIP dollars our citizens already pay for with their federal taxes."
    My sense is that he's not very happy about the Fedgov using its usual workarounds to negotiations that it used in the past, and has therefore decided on the Honey Badger option. More power to him.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Considering how much Scott has slashed from medicaid already and that Florida is at the bottom of the barrel for how it treats its citizens who are uninsured or on medicaid I can see why Scott doesn't like this at all. However Florida desperately needs an overhaul. My daughter's dad is severely disabled and remains unable to find a basic family physician aside from a pill mill. I think the feds may need to step in.

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    From where I sit, it is difficult to understand how suing CMS on Day 45 of a 60-day session regarding an issue the state has been aware of for the last 12 months will yield a timely resolution to the critical health care challenges facing our state," Senate President Andy Gardiner, R-Orlando
    A mealy-mouthed, useless, fact-free bit of political posturing. This sort of attitude is why most Republicans can't be described as representatives in any reasonable sense. If anyone supposedly on my team said this in public in the midst of negotiations, he'd be banned from the party for life. The federal government always, always, always, ALWAYS runs out the clock on these issues if it can get away with it, and half of the negotiations with them are in determining how it plans to do so.

Federal health officials have said they are open to negotiating a successor program, but no deal has been reached.

The negotiations took a turn Tuesday, when CMS told Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration that any decision regarding LIP would be tied to whether the state accepts federal Medicaid expansion money — a politically charged policy option that Scott once supported, but now opposes.

Scott blasted CMS on Thursday, saying that linking the two issues violated a U.S. Supreme Court ruling "that the president cannot force Medicaid expansion on states."

"Not only does President Obama's end to LIP funding in Florida violate the law by crossing the line into a coercion tactic for Obamacare, it also threatens poor families' access to the safety net health care services they need," Scott said.

He called the actions "outrageous and specifically what the Supreme Court warned against."
    Rick Scott's the only one who sounds like he's actually trying to govern and represent his people rather than regurgitate pre-approved talking points in the whole business.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Originally posted by semarmendem View Post
    Yeah, sorry, I didn't see that.
    I'm interested to know if the underlying argument of state's right to Federal Taxes collected from their citizen is ever litigated in court?
    I don't think so ... but I agree that'd be interesting research!

Leave a comment:

• semarmendem
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Florida's Low Income Program is set to expire in June.
    Yeah, sorry, I didn't see that.
    I'm interested to know if the underlying argument of state's right to Federal Taxes collected from their citizen is ever litigated in court?

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Originally posted by semarmendem View Post
    The way I read it, this is just politicians doing what they do best: demanding the benefit but doesn't want to pay the cost. Florida has been given some money (LIP), and Obama wants to tie this with acceptance of his program. Scott wants the money, but doesn't want the coupling. If you think Federal Tax is the right of Federal Govt, then Obama's position of combining carrot with stick is correct. But if you think that since Federal Tax is coming from the citizens of the State, therefore giving some of it back to the state is just common sense, then Scott is right.

Scott basically said the same thing on his statement: "Our citizens already pay federal taxes that go into the federal LIP program."
    Florida's Low Income Program is set to expire in June. The federal government isn't looking, to my knowledge, to tie LIP into the Medicaid expansion ... it's looking to sunset the LIP, as the ACA's Medicaid expansion provision does the same thing better.

If that's the case — if Scott truly is suing to prevent the federal government from simply not renewing a program after its expiration, I'd say that his tactics are simply bush league.

Leave a comment:

• semarmendem
    replied
    The way I read it, this is just politicians doing what they do best: demanding the benefit but doesn't want to pay the cost. Florida has been given some money (LIP), and Obama wants to tie this with acceptance of his program. Scott wants the money, but doesn't want the coupling. If you think Federal Tax is the right of Federal Govt, then Obama's position of combining carrot with stick is correct. But if you think that since Federal Tax is coming from the citizens of the State, therefore giving some of it back to the state is just common sense, then Scott is right.

Scott basically said the same thing on his statement: "Our citizens already pay federal taxes that go into the federal LIP program."

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Originally posted by jpholding View Post
    Medicare, to be specific.
    Right! I don't trust the guy to not attempt to steal more money from hospitals/Medicare/ etc.

Leave a comment: