Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Please Comment on Rick Scott's Lawsuit Over Hospital Funds and Medicaid Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
    Your boredom has little bearing on my concerns, loony boy.
    Weak shots fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
      Weak shots fired.
      Neo-Con detected.
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

There are levels of survival companies are prepared to accept. Especially when part of HCA, the largest hospital chain in the country.
        World.

Then why weren't the whistleblowers hired among the doctors rather than the managers and accountants? One might think that they had the most to gain.
        1. How would the doctors know?
        2. Do you even know what a whistleblower is? You don't hire "whistleblowers", they blow a whistle, they're the prime mover.

Because Obamacare is head and shoulders more bureaucrat-controlled than the previous arrangements, meaning that he'll have a larger number of blatantly political operatives breathing down his neck for every coding exploit. Also, he happens to actually live in a state with his constituents.
        Then you concede the point that he doesn't shamelessly extract money on his constituents' behalf. Glad we agree.

I'm really not seeing the fact that he 'filled his pockets' as the primary complaint among any of the articles.
        Why would you? It's the argument I"m making counter to your argument that he did it all for charity. Nobody uses your argument so there's no reason for the press to mention it.

It's all RIPPING OFF THE MEDICAID SYSTEM and IMPROPER CODING and ADMITTING PEOPLE TO HOSPITALS WHO DON'T BELONG. On the other hand:

And on the other hand:

And on the other hand...

(Note: The domain on DrRich's original covertrationingblog.com site has expired, but you can now go here to get most of the same articles.)
        What does this have to do with Rick Scott stealing taxpayer dollars to enrich his company (and by connection, his own pockets)? I don't care if the whistleblowers got rich off whistleblowing. They could be Hitler for all I care. Rick Scott himself isn't even denying the lawbreaking and wrongdoing.

There's plenty of historical precedent for the restructuring of the institution of government, and it starts by treating the Cathedral trifecta (media, academia, government) as fundamentally corrupted. Which they are. And which are now in fact losing their power due to their fundamental corruption.
        Conservatives don't want to restructure it, they want to destroy it. Seeing how every people that isn't still rolling around in mud with banana penis sheaths has a government, academia and media it's a move contrary to civilization building and unworthy of consideration from anyone who isn't dreaming of larping Fallout 3.

There are tools which break those who wield them. I encourage people to avoid the fallout of that self destruction rather than picking them up.
        The tool corrupts the man is a very liberal idea. It's why they try to ban guns.

Not saying that jackboots aren't often necessary, but if you rip them right off of a shambling corpse and throw them on without washing them out first, don't come crying to me when you mysteriously start stumbling around with unexplained gangrene and zombie infection.
        Thankfully there is no bacteria on abstract tools.

Do also remember that the boots they have are often extremely well-adapted to one purpose and one purpose only, and you may find some rather nasty surprises among your erstwhile allies if you use them to stomp on evil rather than good or merely decent people.

That's why the goal is both the destruction of the Cathedral and the establishment of a conservative order. Starts with men as heads of household, goes up to guilds, businesses, and craft unions, to government, which, concerning itself only with matters of law rather than micro-life regulation, can in fact operate quickly, efficiently, and powerfully at what it does best, including jackbooting the faces of the proudly unrighteous.
        Bottoms up reform is egalitarian thinking and guaranteed to fail. Liberals corrupted civilization by corrupting the higher institutions first, then corruption trickled down to the masses. The masses follow the elite, not the other way around. It's as ironclad a rule of reality as you can get.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          World.
          'MERICA.

1. How would the doctors know?
          What, you think the doctors would just give up all control of Medicaid coding to the accounting department in return for getting paid reliably and not having to spend hours on doing all of their own accounting/dealing with the federal bureaucracy? What was that fraud again?

cost report fraud, physician kickback fraud, upcoding on inpatient emissions, upcoding on lab procedures and inappropriate lab and in-home visits.
          i.e., the doctors basically went with it, and were complicit.

2. Do you even know what a whistleblower is? You don't hire "whistleblowers", they blow a whistle, they're the prime mover.
          Sorry, I might not have made these incentives clear enough:

anyone who reports Medicaid fraud may be entitled to a reward. To report supected cases of Medicaid fraud, call the Attorney General's Hotline at 1-866-966-7226. Rewards may be up to 25 percent of the amount recovered or a maximum of $500,000 per case.
          Schilling left the company in 1995 and sought whistleblower protection. In 1996, the FBI persuaded him to get back into Columbia/HCA so he could serve as an undercover informant.
          An accountant, not a doctor, got himself into high dudgeon over his bosses getting the most they could out of the Feddle gubmint's badly written and randomly/maliciously enforced coding "guidelines", joined the team with more money and power, and got himself a cushy job on the side of the angels making far more than those small-time plebs who ran the hospital with a modicum of independence. I'm seeing where the cash flows to, but I'm not seeing that the POOR RIPPED OFF SENIORS are better off for having medical coding moved from people who people who made exploiting the codes their full-time job to doctors whose time could be spent, say, actually taking care of seniors. Did you actually click the links? Did you get the atmosphere of what it's like to work in those hospitals?

But I'm only speaking from experience in the field, and you're speaking from....what, now, a servile appreciation of The Powers That Be? A newspaper report by an interested party and all of a sudden We Must Condemn Our Own?

He said he has no firsthand knowledge that Scott was involved but he believes he was not only aware of the fraudulent practices, he sanctioned them.

“I did not have day-to-day communication with Rick Scott. I had only met him once or twice while I was an employee there,’’ Schilling said.

“I’m basing my belief that he knew what was going on based on that he was as very hands on CEO of the company, that he was very involved in the organization and in communicating with employees. I knew that, working with government investigators, they thought he was a target and that he was orchestrating criminal conduct.”
          Yep, on this basis I'm totally going to go along with defaming a guy who actually did manage to keep a hospital running during his tenure.

Then you concede the point that he doesn't shamelessly extract money on his constituents' behalf. Glad we agree.
          There's an inability to do something and an inadvisability to do something. If Obamacare enforcement has more niggardly auditors and dull-witted executors willing to pounce on you specifically, because you were in fact betrayed and defamed by someone who wanted the guaranteed government payout in money and media exposure in the past, then you're probably not going to go the 'accept and subvert' route.

Why would you? It's the argument I"m making counter to your argument that he did it all for charity. Nobody uses your argument so there's no reason for the press to mention it.
          I don't think an aggressive sales team does everything for charity either. Nevertheless, I'll have more sympathy for Team Sales when it goes up against Team Regulatory State and Team Mainstream Media.

What does this have to do with Rick Scott stealing taxpayer dollars to enrich his company (and by connection, his own pockets)? I don't care if the whistleblowers got rich off whistleblowing. They could be Hitler for all I care. Rick Scott himself isn't even denying the lawbreaking and wrongdoing.
          If Rick Scott's a thief for being a Min-Maxing Medicare Code Munchkin, so is everyone at H&R Block. If the Feds want to arrest you, they can indict you on anything, so it's best to not go out like an idiot street thug while the armed men are in the building.

Conservatives don't want to restructure it, they want to destroy it. Seeing how every people that isn't still rolling around in mud with banana penis sheaths has a government, academia and media it's a move contrary to civilization building and unworthy of consideration from anyone who isn't dreaming of larping Fallout 3.
          The Puritans started it, their successors may decide to finish it at any time those institutions are not serving the glory of God and man. People copied them because they had no ideas of their own beyond imitating the already successful, and thus they now cling to the things that rend their hopes, dreams, souls, and families in pieces. You're only going along with it now because it's not affecting a field you care about seeing done right or one in which you have firsthand knowledge.

The tool corrupts the man is a very liberal idea. It's why they try to ban guns.
          It's not a liberal idea when the tools are men, or a facsimile thereof.

Thankfully there is no bacteria on abstract tools.
          To live your life so as to one day serve on the Medicare Oversight Committee is to commit to the diminishment and destruction of your soul to gain a slice of REAL TEMPORAL POWER.....in a committee among those who believe in their own power, and the oppression of the righteous their powers were designed to oppress, wholeheartedly and without reserve. Unlike you, the interloper with the weird unqualified reservations against hitting the Hated Other as hard as D'Quanisha over there.

Stick with guns and the righteous men who wield them as a team. If you don't have them, find them. If you can't find them, pray without ceasing until you do.

Bottoms up reform is egalitarian thinking and guaranteed to fail. Liberals corrupted civilization by corrupting the higher institutions first, then corruption trickled down to the masses. The masses follow the elite, not the other way around. It's as ironclad a rule of reality as you can get.
          One of these things can live without the other, and do much greater things. When you have good men and women, your governing structure is immaterial, and out of those willing children of Abraham we can raise up the stones for any university, government, or news organization you want. But if you want to prove me wrong by taking over responsibility for Baltimore, be my guest.

(From what I saw, the Communists only went to the universities when the trade, craft, business, and professional unions rejected them, and rose to power in the universities in direct proportion to their decline into aristocratic incubators. Community colleges and other such forgivers of lack of achievment seem to suit them better. But really, you need to stop speaking abstractly about "power centers" and start describing them concretely if you wish to get any use out of them, or form a team that can willingly sacrifice their lives and fortunes to turn them from wrecks into institutions!)
          Last edited by Epoetker; 04-30-2015, 02:23 AM.

Comment

What, you think the doctors would just give up all control of Medicaid coding to the accounting department in return for getting paid reliably and not having to spend hours on doing all of their own accounting/dealing with the federal bureaucracy? What was that fraud again?
            There you go.

i.e., the doctors basically went with it, and were complicit.
            Well, that answers your question as to why they weren't whistleblowers.

Sorry, I might not have made these incentives clear enough:
            No, I just don't understand their relevance. That someone got paid for whistle-blowing does not change the crime. It is, in fact, irrelevant to the discussion.

An accountant, not a doctor, got himself into high dudgeon over his bosses getting the most they could out of the Feddle gubmint's badly written and randomly/maliciously enforced coding "guidelines", joined the team with more money and power, and got himself a cushy job on the side of the angels making far more than those small-time plebs who ran the hospital with a modicum of independence. I'm seeing where the cash flows to, but I'm not seeing that the POOR RIPPED OFF SENIORS are better off for having medical coding moved from people who people who made exploiting the codes their full-time job to doctors whose time could be spent, say, actually taking care of seniors. Did you actually click the links? Did you get the atmosphere of what it's like to work in those hospitals?
            The people who made exploiting the codes their full-time jobs were the ones working for Rick Scott. Government employees are frequently overpaid but the biggest thefts and fraud always occurs in the private sector. The US federal government is still mostly restrained by the constitution and increasingly decrepit judges. There's nothing stopping corporations from deciding what perversion you will accept (or else) though:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...s_freedom.html

And I probably click your links more than anyone else here, even when they are frequently incoherent or of questionable relation to the subject at hand.

But I'm only speaking from experience in the field, and you're speaking from....what, now, a servile appreciation of The Powers That Be? A newspaper report by an interested party and all of a sudden We Must Condemn Our Own?
            Sure, a newspaper report, an actual conviction and an admission of wrong by the guilty party. Meanwhile you have... yourself? Even the guilty party has the sense not to make up arbitrary excuses.
            Yep, on this basis I'm totally going to go along with defaming a guy who actually did manage to keep a hospital running during his tenure.
            I'm sure the hospital also appreciated the fine and reputation hit. They appreciated it so much they gave him a rais... oh wait they fired him.

There's an inability to do something and an inadvisability to do something.
            Scott Walker doesn't seem like the type of guy who lets the law get in his way.

I don't think an aggressive sales team does everything for charity either. Nevertheless, I'll have more sympathy for Team Sales when it goes up against Team Regulatory State and Team Mainstream Media.
            I myself save sympathies for actual tragedies. At the end of the day Team Sales getting hammered doesn't bother me. They're just as complicit as Team Media in selling perversions to the idiot masses and considerably more toxic than boring regulatory state accountants.

If Rick Scott's a thief for being a Min-Maxing Medicare Code Munchkin, so is everyone at H&R Block.
            Yeah all he was doing was Min-Maxing on Simply Accounting.

The Puritans started it, their successors may decide to finish it at any time those institutions are not serving the glory of God and man. People copied them because they had no ideas of their own beyond imitating the already successful, and thus they now cling to the things that rend their hopes, dreams, souls, and families in pieces. You're only going along with it now because it's not affecting a field you care about seeing done right or one in which you have firsthand knowledge.
            Where do you get the idea that "I'm going along with it"? I'm probably the biggest advocate for militant Christianity here, limited in advocacy only by the rules of the house I am currently posting in. And I'm fairly sure Academia, Government and Media existed long before the Puritans shot braying out of Satan's behind and will be around long after they're gone. What I won't go along with is conservatives who think stealing from "the government" is in any way civilized, just, or, in fact, conservative seeing how the state's money was taken from working people.

It's not a liberal idea when the tools are men, or a facsimile thereof.
            It is. Original conservatism lasted for at least a millennium and a half. Your brand of conservatism will be lucky to last half a century, because it already adopted progressive core values like manipulating the state apparatus into stealing from taxpayers.

To live your life so as to one day serve on the Medicare Oversight Committee is to commit to the diminishment and destruction of your soul to gain a slice of REAL TEMPORAL POWER.....in a committee among those who believe in their own power, and the oppression of the righteous their powers were designed to oppress, wholeheartedly and without reserve. Unlike you, the interloper with the weird unqualified reservations against hitting the Hated Other as hard as D'Quanisha over there.

Stick with guns and the righteous men who wield them as a team. If you don't have them, find them. If you can't find them, pray without ceasing until you do.
            I have no reservations about hitting the Hated Other. I have reservations about stealing from working people. I have even bigger reservations about shilling for people who steal from working people. Since Rick Scott just brainlessly apes Republican talking points he doesn't even qualify as necessary evil.

Neither can live without the other. At least not as civilized men. The only egalitarian societies you can find on this planet have pictures of naked ladies in National Geographic.

When you have good men and women
            Which pop out of thin air as soon as the government dissolves.

, your governing structure is immaterial, and out of those willing children of Abraham we can raise up the stones for any university, government, or news organization you want. But if you want to prove me wrong by taking over responsibility for Baltimore, be my guest.
            Sure, repeal the constitution and crown me American Emperor. Then I will take responsibility for Baltimore.

(From what I saw, the Communists only went to the universities when the trade, craft, business, and professional unions rejected them, and rose to power in the universities in direct proportion to their decline into aristocratic incubators. Community colleges and other such forgivers of lack of achievment seem to suit them better. But really, you need to stop speaking abstractly about "power centers" and start describing them concretely if you wish to get any use out of them, or form a team that can willingly sacrifice their lives and fortunes to turn them from wrecks into institutions!)
            Communism is far from the worst manifestation of the Hated Other, even Uncle Joe had the sense to put gays in mental institutions, for example. Come to think of it we are getting to the point where Soviet communism, with a few adjustments, would be preferable to the Republican party, which is quickly turning into an all you can eat gay buffet:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ay-rights.html
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Weak shots fired.
              I would sooner use a cannon to slay a flea than waste my intellect on a spoiled and indifferent brat like you.

Comment

I would sooner use a cannon to slay a flea than waste my intellect on a spoiled and indifferent brat like you.
                IIRC there was a king in England a long time ago who had a gun made specifically for executing fleas. I can't find anything on it though, maybe that was made up. It was in some sort of weird trivia book I read a long time ago at school.

Comment

Spare yourself the tears for the bald man, idiot. He took responsibility for what happened under his watch -- once he was safe from prosecution.

Idiots like you voted this criminal into office here TWICE. I spent months debating your clones incognito as part of my research for this ebook...which still continues. So again, the boredom of a lone jackass who thinks links to amateur wacko websites like "unz.com" are worthy of any intelligent or careful consideration is of no concern to me whatsoever.

For those who do have a brain and a interest beyond their own selfishness, however, the latest news is revealing enough.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...ession/2227342

Florida's Legislature collapsed into chaos Tuesday as the House unilaterally ended the annual session with more than three days left, leaving dozens of major bills dead and escalating tensions between the House and Senate over their health care stalemate.

The state Senate responded by remaining in session for two more hours and announcing plans to return Wednesday, an attempt to send the message that they are willing to work through the impasse that has bitterly divided Republicans, and frayed emotions.

"Nobody won today," said Senate President Andy Gardiner, R-Orlando, after the Senate adjourned for the day. "Nobody won. Taxpayers lost. It's an unfortunate turn of events."

House Speaker Steve Crisafulli, R-Merritt Island, gaveled the legislative session to a close at 1:15 p.m. Tuesday. "We didn't get everything we wanted, and we won't get everything that we hoped, but we have done all that we can do for this session," he said. He then told House members to go home "until the Senate decides they are ready to negotiate."

I already know the idiot here thinks that this is the FL House showing "leadership". But I'd be interested in what the intelligent readers have to say also.
                  Last edited by jpholding; 04-30-2015, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    IIRC there was a king in England a long time ago who had a gun made specifically for executing fleas. I can't find anything on it though, maybe that was made up. It was in some sort of weird trivia book I read a long time ago at school.
                    Hmm, seems to have been Queen Christina, in Sweden. Maybe this is the book?

https://books.google.com/books?id=3X...cannon&f=false

Comment

Hmm, seems to have been Queen Christina, in Sweden. Maybe this is the book?

https://books.google.com/books?id=3X...cannon&f=false
                      My memory may not be what it used to be, but I'm positive that it was a King, and that it was a gun*, not a crossbow. That's not the book either. Mine was quite a bit older(few pictures, and no color), and pretty worn out. That's still pretty interesting though, thanks!

*As an old book maybe they got a few facts confused.

Comment

Spare yourself the tears for the bald man, idiot. He took responsibility for what happened under his watch -- once he was safe from prosecution.

Idiots like you voted this criminal into office here TWICE. I spent months debating your clones incognito as part of my research for this ebook...which still continues. So again, the boredom of a lone jackass who thinks links to amateur wacko websites like "unz.com"
                        If you think unz.com is "an amateur wacko website", you've been pretty sheltered for the past 10 years or so. It's Steve Sailer's new home, it's a searchable repository of periodicals going back pretty far, and the guy who runs it so far seems to be actually keeping to its mission statement:

Originally posted by Unz.com
                        A Collection of Interesting, Important, and Controversial Perspectives Largely Excluded from the American Mainstream Media
                        are worthy of any intelligent or careful consideration is of no concern to me whatsoever.
                        You spent all those months in the shadows debating my clones and you only respond 4 pages in? Links or it didn't happen.

For those who do have a brain and a interest beyond their own selfishness, however, the latest news is revealing enough.
                        I have no particular interest in Florida specifically. I do, however, have in interest in those who think that the first and most necessary step toward having an independent hand to clean up their state is to......curse their elected leaders with actual governing experience when they go up against the Feds. My position on Rick Scott is that he's the best Florida can get unless George Zimmerman runs for office, so you might as well deal with him.

I already know the idiot here thinks that this is the FL House showing "leadership".
                        Obviously they should follow John Boehner's example and get along to go along instead. Being willing to shut down the government is less leadership than simple backbone. Leadership is arresting the Democratic party operatives for racketeering.

But I'd be interested in what the intelligent readers have to say also.
                        It seems that me and Darth are in fact the most intelligent readers who're actually bothering to post in your thread without general appeal to those without knowledge of how hospitals work. I do, Darth wants to and may in fact do the research on how medicine is actually practiced, so I find it a good diversion. But most people really aren't going to do any research beyond the initial article, maybe an anecdote if you're lucky. The GREAT WAR OF INTREPID ACCOUNTANTS AND DUTIFUL REGULATORS AGAINST EVIL DOCTORS AND THE CEOS WHO ENABLE THEM is going to be pretty tough reading for most people. Maybe you can make a comic?

Comment

If you think unz.com is "an amateur wacko website", you've been pretty sheltered for the past 10 years or so.
                          The only "shelter" I live in here is constructed of the bricks of a professional researcher, and by standards of the profession, it is amateur wacko junk on the order of, "My Brony Blog."

It's Steve Sailer's new home,
                          Oh...excuse me, was that meant to impress me? Er, NOT. Also a loon. That will get you far, a loon recommending a loon.

You spent all those months in the shadows debating my clones and you only respond 4 pages in? Links or it didn't happen.
                          Oh, the links will come out all right -- when I'm done with my ebook. At least, those links which still exist. Ricky Scott's kissy boys were so offended by the way I trashed their hero that I ended up banned and all my commentary ended up deleted, from one of the major venues at least. Maybe more since I last checked. You see, that's how loons deal with it when the facts fail them.

I have no particular interest in Florida specifically.
                          Then keep your mouth politely shut when I'm doing business here.

I do, however, have in interest in those who think that the first and most necessary step toward having an independent hand to clean up their state is to......
                          How presumptively arrogant of you to think it was my FIRST step simply because it is the only thing within your limited mental and visual horizon. Who do you think you're dealing with here, your classmate in VPK?

My position on Rick Scott is that he's the best Florida can get unless George Zimmerman runs for office, so you might as well deal with him.
                          And a nicely contorted circus position it is! The joke here is that a ham sandwich would have been a better deal than Scott. In real life, Charlie Crist, for all his flaws, would have been a better deal; that is how bad Scott is, how corrupt he is, how ignorant he is. A man so stupid he thought we needed a STUDY to decide if texting while driving was dangerous; a man so dumb he thought a study for the practicality of using rainwater to supply drinking water for prisons was actually a study to decide if it was physically possible to capture rainwater in a bucket.

I'm dealing with him all right, and with miseducated toadstools who think he's "the best" we can get.

Obviously they should follow John Boehner's example and get along to go along instead. Being willing to shut down the government is less leadership than simple backbone. Leadership is arresting the Democratic party operatives for racketeering.
                          Your typical vague, no-substance, irrelevant gibble-gabble, I see. Spare me the patronizing; people like YOU are the source of the problem; Boehner et al are merely the symptoms.

It seems that me and Darth are in fact the most intelligent readers who're actually bothering to post
                          Well, someone like you has to be second, even if you are 100 million miles behind.

in your thread without general appeal to those without knowledge of how hospitals work. I do,
                          No, you don't...I do. And because of that, I know your treatment is superficial, jaundiced, and crafted to serve your agenda. Your comments on coding, for example, are so twisted and void of substance as to be laughable. I have the ICD9 roster of books right here in this room with me now. It's a standard reference work -- crafted well enough to avoid any misunderstandings, if you're honest enough; the lack it has, in specificity, is inevitable in a field where knowledge expands so rapidly. So don't try that scam of posturing expertise with me.

But most people really aren't going to do any research beyond the initial article, maybe an anecdote if you're lucky. The GREAT WAR OF INTREPID ACCOUNTANTS AND DUTIFUL REGULATORS AGAINST EVIL DOCTORS AND THE CEOS WHO ENABLE THEM is going to be pretty tough reading for most people. Maybe you can make a comic?
                          If I do, your commentary will be first rate for it! And your Mickey Mouse ears will be polished and ready!

But spare me otherwise....the experiment I'm doing here doesn't require that people do research.

Comment

JP: Unless you flat out kick him out of the thread, it's difficult to prevent any Civics thread here from Epo finding a way to turn it into a rant against black people, no matter how tenuous the angle.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What is epo's deal anyways? He doesn't want to become a bad guy, does he? Isn't he SUPPOSED to be a Christian? Has he been exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit?
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                Florida's Low Income Program is set to expire in June. The federal government isn't looking, to my knowledge, to tie LIP into the Medicaid expansion ... it's looking to sunset the LIP, as the ACA's Medicaid expansion provision does the same thing better.

If that's the case — if Scott truly is suing to prevent the federal government from simply not renewing a program after its expiration, I'd say that his tactics are simply bush league.
                                Originally posted by semarmendem View Post
                                Yeah, sorry, I didn't see that.
                                I'm interested to know if the underlying argument of state's right to Federal Taxes collected from their citizen is ever litigated in court?

Um, guys, the problem was the linkage - the expiration news was old but the linkage, as I read it, was new.

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                What is epo's deal anyways? He doesn't want to become a bad guy, does he? Isn't he SUPPOSED to be a Christian? Has he been exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit?
                                Dunno...

Back on the actual topic: I've worked indirectly with Medicaid (EPSDT is still one of the best programs ever) and support its existence. But Federal expansions don't just spend Federal dollars - and few states can afford to take on all the extra spending. Sadly, because 'but its money on the table' argument tends to win the day no matter how much the state is gonna end up coughing up and because politicians like getting re-elected almost all states take on way more than they should. The results are painful in the long term and detrimental to both the individual state and the federal system (not Federal government - the balance of power between the various levels of government) as a whole. I can't speak to Scott's motives but he's correct on two points: the Fed (government) is indeed pulling a squeeze play that is probably not constitutional (based solely on the article) and the Fed did not deal squarely on this one.

Whether or not a given state should consider the expansion depends on that state's finances. Alabama opted out - our budget is constitutionally required to be balanced and believe me, proration hurts the little guy a lot more than not taking the money in the first place. Florida's finances are very different from ours (lucky dogs with no income tax!) so I'd need a good bit more info to speak knowledgeably about that.

Tactically, it's a reasonable move. Gets the blood pumping, the liberals howling and, best of all, puts Obamacare back in the sites. Will it work? Dunno, no court is that predictable. My guess is it will have a political effect first - it's probably gonna get some if not all concessions once the hoopla dies down a bit. Bureaucrats hate being dragged from their nice offices into a courtroom, if nothing else.

Tired now - will check back later.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment