Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Please Comment on Rick Scott's Lawsuit Over Hospital Funds and Medicaid Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Why is Epo sticking up for Rick Scott? Just cause he's a Republican? Seems to me that most politicians of either party aren't the best and most competent people in the world anyways.
    Would you not agree that the more incompetent government is to take good care of us, the less power it should have (contra Epo, who wrote, more power to Scott).
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Regardless of whether one thinks government should have powers, the fact remains that we are stuck within the system/infrastructure we have. While one could probably envision a way to privatize police/fire/etc., we cannot shut down these services overnight. Likewise, I am not okay with letting thousands of people slip through the cracks in the hopes of making a greater philosophical point.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Why is Epo sticking up for Rick Scott? Just cause he's a Republican? Seems to me that most politicians of either party aren't the best and most competent people in the world anyways.
        I'm sticking up for Rick Scott because he is acting and speaking as a man and a leader should...

Originally posted by KingsGambit
        the fact remains that we are stuck within the system/infrastructure we have. I am not okay with letting thousands of people slip through the cracks in the hopes of making a greater philosophical point.
        ...and I am speaking against this Weimar Republicanism in general, because if you let every decision you make be limited by the hypothetical and actual least responsible people in your group, you will ALWAYS be stuck with the system/infrastructure you have, until it dies naturally and abruptly, and kills off far more than any individual political move would, with far less warning!
        Last edited by Epoetker; 04-18-2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
          I'm sticking up for Rick Scott because he is acting and speaking as a man and a leader should...
          Actually as far as I can tell he's a high functioning crook. About his only virtue appears to be that he mostly does what his constituents want him to. Unfortunately his constituents appear to be insane and possibly retarded (Florida Man is a stereotype for a reason) so that doesn't add up to much.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Update on this issue:

http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/226009

Gov. Rick Scott appeared on Fox News Thursday night and accused the federal government of behaving like the mafia and “bullying” the state during negotiations over supplemental Medicaid dollars to pay Florida hospitals.

“This is the Sopranos,” Scott said, referring to the hit HBO show about a New Jersey-based mafia family. “They are using bullying tactics to attack our state. It’s wrong. It’s outrageous they are doing this.”

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              Actually as far as I can tell he's a high functioning crook.
              I do seem to recall that the best leader most can hope for is a stationary bandit.

About his only virtue appears to be that he mostly does what his constituents want him to.
              Which instantly makes him better than someone who does mostly what his handlers want him to do.

Unfortunately his constituents appear to be insane and possibly retarded (Florida Man is a stereotype for a reason) so that doesn't add up to much.
              The first step toward sanity is gratitude toward your betters. Rick Scott doesn't have to choose to live in Florida, any more than Catholicity does. But when you live together in the same place like that an attitude of mutual respect is the first step toward making sure you don't get robbed by any passing thieves.

Comment

Which instantly makes him better than someone who does mostly what his handlers want him to do.
                What's the difference?

The first step toward sanity is gratitude toward your betters. Rick Scott doesn't have to choose to live in Florida, any more than Catholicity does. But when you live together in the same place like that an attitude of mutual respect is the first step toward making sure you don't get robbed by any passing thieves.
                The first step towards sanity is remembering that the average Republican politician is one gas station bathroom away from a wide stance scandal and treat them accordingly.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

What's the difference?
                  One isn't a professional pretender, so you can occasionally get a useful opinion out of him.

The first step towards sanity is remembering that the average Republican politician is one gas station bathroom away from a wide stance scandal and treat them accordingly.
                  Rick Scott, like most actually useful governors, didn't have a career in politics before becoming governor, which is probably why he's the only one in the whole brouhaha with something resembling a plan or principle.

The Republican National Committee, of course, is a different matter entirely.

Comment

One isn't a professional pretender, so you can occasionally get a useful opinion out of him.
                    There is no such thing as a politician who is not a professional pretender.

Rick Scott, like most actually useful governors, didn't have a career in politics before becoming governor
                    Which didn't stop him from robbing taxpayers.

Comment

There is no such thing as a politician who is not a professional pretender.

Which didn't stop him from robbing taxpayers.
                      When I get to the meat of the article I find:

The fraud included: cost report fraud, physician kickback fraud,
                      Without which no qualified physicians would actually deign to work for you...

upcoding on inpatient emissions, upcoding on lab procedures
                      Details, this sounds like bureaucratic legerdemain to me. There are all sorts of subjective and regulator-defined legal loopholes in medical coding that would bankrupt most doctors if followed to the letter, since they were in fact designed to save Medicaid money irrespective of how they affected doctor diagnoses.

and inappropriate lab and in-home visits.
                      The doctors weren't adhering to THE 7 MINUTE VISIT rule and the BEST PRACTICES FOR DIAGNOSIS, sounds like.

I'm sensing a pattern here. Basically, whether in business or in government, Rick Scott sought to maximize his organizational ability to extract money from the feds, in the interest of his constituents, whether they were doctors, employees, or patients. That he was utterly shameless in doing so is immaterial, that's exactly what an advocate is supposed to do, and what he's paid for. But whatever, kick him out and let Catholicity keep complaining that she can't find doctors no more so can we please just surrender to Fedgov and take whoever they give us?

Comment

When I get to the meat of the article I find:

Without which no qualified physicians would actually deign to work for you...
                        Does not match reality as the company presumably stopped doing that and they're still going.

Details, this sounds like bureaucratic legerdemain to me. There are all sorts of subjective and regulator-defined legal loopholes in medical coding that would bankrupt most doctors if followed to the letter, since they were in fact designed to save Medicaid money irrespective of how they affected doctor diagnoses.

The doctors weren't adhering to THE 7 MINUTE VISIT rule and the BEST PRACTICES FOR DIAGNOSIS, sounds like.
                        It wasn't the doctors who were getting the money, the doctor charged for X, the company charged the government for Y and pocketed the difference.

I'm sensing a pattern here. Basically, whether in business or in government, Rick Scott sought to maximize his organizational ability to extract money from the feds, in the interest of his constituents, whether they were doctors, employees, or patients.
                        Then why isn't he accepting Obamacare and extracting money from the government there? The answer is obvious: he doesn't want to piss off his constituents, which is the opposite of shamelessly extracting money on their behalf.

That he was utterly shameless in doing so is immaterial, that's exactly what an advocate is supposed to do, and what he's paid for.
                        He was utterly shameless in breaking the law to fill his pockets. But if this is the kind of qualities you appreciate I hear Barack Obama is even more shameless in looting the taxpayer to provide for his constituents.

But whatever, kick him out and let Catholicity keep complaining that she can't find doctors no more
                        I'm sure the reason why Catholicity keeps complaining she can't find doctors is because she can't find doctors rather than because no sane business wants her as a customer.

so can we please just surrender to Fedgov and take whoever they give us?
                        How about we take over Fedgov instead and rather than being the ones taking fraudulently or begging be the ones of whom others beg and try to defraud? There is no historical precedent for the abolishment of the institution of government. Conservatives going that route will find themselves facing guaranteed defeat as they willfully surrender the most powerful human tool in existence to their enemies. You need to purge every libertarian impulse from your body if you hope to get anywhere, the only options in this world is to have your foot in the jackboot or have your skull under it. Since the former position is fiercely competitive those who hunt for a third way will inevitably end up with the consolation prize.
                        Last edited by Darth Executor; 04-19-2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Does not match reality as the company presumably stopped doing that and they're still going.
                          There are levels of survival companies are prepared to accept. Especially when part of HCA, the largest hospital chain in the country.

It wasn't the doctors who were getting the money, the doctor charged for X, the company charged the government for Y and pocketed the difference.
                          Then why weren't the whistleblowers hired among the doctors rather than the managers and accountants? One might think that they had the most to gain.

Then why isn't he accepting Obamacare and extracting money from the government there? The answer is obvious: he doesn't want to piss off his constituents, which is the opposite of shamelessly extracting money on their behalf.
                          Because Obamacare is head and shoulders more bureaucrat-controlled than the previous arrangements, meaning that he'll have a larger number of blatantly political operatives breathing down his neck for every coding exploit. Also, he happens to actually live in a state with his constituents.

He was utterly shameless in breaking the law to fill his pockets. But if this is the kind of qualities you appreciate I hear Barack Obama is even more shameless in looting the taxpayer to provide for his constituents.
                          I'm really not seeing the fact that he 'filled his pockets' as the primary complaint among any of the articles. It's all RIPPING OFF THE MEDICAID SYSTEM and IMPROPER CODING and ADMITTING PEOPLE TO HOSPITALS WHO DON'T BELONG. On the other hand:

Schilling, who won a $100 million judgment with another former HCA official as a result of his whistleblower lawsuit, is now the founding partner of Naples-based Ethics Solutions LLC, a consulting company that specializes in health care fraud investigations and works and supports other whistleblowers with cases similar to his.
                          And on the other hand:

Under Florida law, anyone who reports Medicaid fraud may be entitled to a reward. To report supected cases of Medicaid fraud, call the Attorney General's Hotline at 1-866-966-7226. Rewards may be up to 25 percent of the amount recovered or a maximum of $500,000 per case.
                          And on the other hand...

After all, only a few months ago, when another research study showed that 23% of ICDs were being implanted outside of published guidelines (even though the large majority of those “inappropriate” implants turned out to be actually indicated, but were performed within a 40-day waiting period that the guidelines specified), not only was this violation played up on the evening news and splashed across newspaper headlines, but also the Department of Justice immediately launched an investigation to determine whether it could bring criminal charges against implanting physicians. That is, failing to follow recommended guidelines to the letter is now not merely suboptimal medical practice, but also criminal behavior.
                          (Note: The domain on DrRich's original covertrationingblog.com site has expired, but you can now go here to get most of the same articles.)

I'm sure the reason why Catholicity keeps complaining she can't find doctors is because she can't find doctors rather than because no sane business wants her as a customer.
                          *Reads link, has momentary recall of the woman who called in after firing her web developer with root access and wondered why nothing on her site was working* Crazy time-eating women are still technically....part....of...his...constituency...

How about we take over Fedgov instead and rather than being the ones taking fraudulently or begging be the ones of whom others beg and try to defraud? There is no historical precedent for the abolishment of the institution of government.
                          There's plenty of historical precedent for the restructuring of the institution of government, and it starts by treating the Cathedral trifecta (media, academia, government) as fundamentally corrupted. Which they are. And which are now in fact losing their power due to their fundamental corruption.

Conservatives going that route will find themselves facing guaranteed defeat as they willfully surrender the most powerful human tool in existence to their enemies.
                          There are tools which break those who wield them. I encourage people to avoid the fallout of that self destruction rather than picking them up.

You need to purge every libertarian impulse from your body if you hope to get anywhere, the only options in this world is to have your foot in the jackboot or have your skull under it. Since the former position is fiercely competitive those who hunt for a third way will inevitably end up with the consolation prize.
                          Not saying that jackboots aren't often necessary, but if you rip them right off of a shambling corpse and throw them on without washing them out first, don't come crying to me when you mysteriously start stumbling around with unexplained gangrene and zombie infection.

Do also remember that the boots they have are often extremely well-adapted to one purpose and one purpose only, and you may find some rather nasty surprises among your erstwhile allies if you use them to stomp on evil rather than good or merely decent people.

That's why the goal is both the destruction of the Cathedral and the establishment of a conservative order. Starts with men as heads of household, goes up to guilds, businesses, and craft unions, to government, which, concerning itself only with matters of law rather than micro-life regulation, can in fact operate quickly, efficiently, and powerfully at what it does best, including jackbooting the faces of the proudly unrighteous.
                          Last edited by Epoetker; 04-22-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Update:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...ansion/2226358

TALLAHASSEE — Blaming the federal government for Florida's financial woes, Gov. Rick Scott on Tuesday said he was prepared to call Florida lawmakers back for a special session to complete the budget — and even encourage them to pass a bare-bones budget if necessary.

Scott also suggested one of his top priorities was in jeopardy: $673 million in tax cuts.

"If (lawmakers) fail to cut taxes in this legislative session, it is clear that cutting taxes by more than $1 billion will become the top priority for next year's legislative session when there is no longer any uncertainty around health care funding, which is already over 40 percent of our state's $77 billion budget," he said in a statement.

Comment

The quieter financial devastation and local government treading water side of things is sadly booooooooooooring in the current news cycle. JP, at this point we're more interested in your Old Testament solutions for the shamelessly lawless among the lower classes in Baltimore or the higher classes in Wisconsin. Start with the story of Phinehas and work your way forward. Possibly include some financial statements on how the medical and governmental system found a lot less waste, fraud, and abuse when those with a mind to their heritage and future started ventilating the chronically wasteful, fraudulent, and abusive.

Comment

Your boredom has little bearing on my concerns, loony boy.

Comment