// Required code

Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Please Comment on Rick Scott's Lawsuit Over Hospital Funds and Medicaid Expansion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please Comment on Rick Scott's Lawsuit Over Hospital Funds and Medicaid Expansion

    I'm posting this here as an experimental study in the process of compiling an upcoming ebook. I'd like for posters here to comment on the following story:

    http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...unding/2225790

    Specifically, I am looking for discussion of Scott's tactics in this matter.

    I am not looking for opinions about Obamacare or Medicaid expansion as such.

    With that I'll just lean back and watch, and say no more unless someone has questions. I'm trying to not bias an outcome.

  • #2
    I'm not quite sure I understand the article. So, I'm not the best to be commenting on it.

    Comment


    • #3
      The problem is that he doesn't see his own uninsured citizens as anything more than pawns in his own political game. This problem is hardly unique to him.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

      Comment


      • #4
        Isn't he the guy that STOLE from medicaid? Maybe he wanted to get a new yacht.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          Isn't he the guy that STOLE from medicaid? Maybe he wanted to get a new yacht.
          Medicare, to be specific.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jpholding View Post
            Medicare, to be specific.
            Right! I don't trust the guy to not attempt to steal more money from hospitals/Medicare/ etc.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

            Comment


            • #7
              The way I read it, this is just politicians doing what they do best: demanding the benefit but doesn't want to pay the cost. Florida has been given some money (LIP), and Obama wants to tie this with acceptance of his program. Scott wants the money, but doesn't want the coupling. If you think Federal Tax is the right of Federal Govt, then Obama's position of combining carrot with stick is correct. But if you think that since Federal Tax is coming from the citizens of the State, therefore giving some of it back to the state is just common sense, then Scott is right.

              Scott basically said the same thing on his statement: "Our citizens already pay federal taxes that go into the federal LIP program."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by semarmendem View Post
                The way I read it, this is just politicians doing what they do best: demanding the benefit but doesn't want to pay the cost. Florida has been given some money (LIP), and Obama wants to tie this with acceptance of his program. Scott wants the money, but doesn't want the coupling. If you think Federal Tax is the right of Federal Govt, then Obama's position of combining carrot with stick is correct. But if you think that since Federal Tax is coming from the citizens of the State, therefore giving some of it back to the state is just common sense, then Scott is right.

                Scott basically said the same thing on his statement: "Our citizens already pay federal taxes that go into the federal LIP program."
                Florida's Low Income Program is set to expire in June. The federal government isn't looking, to my knowledge, to tie LIP into the Medicaid expansion ... it's looking to sunset the LIP, as the ACA's Medicaid expansion provision does the same thing better.

                If that's the case if Scott truly is suing to prevent the federal government from simply not renewing a program after its expiration, I'd say that his tactics are simply bush league.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Florida's Low Income Program is set to expire in June.
                  Yeah, sorry, I didn't see that.
                  I'm interested to know if the underlying argument of state's right to Federal Taxes collected from their citizen is ever litigated in court?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by semarmendem View Post
                    Yeah, sorry, I didn't see that.
                    I'm interested to know if the underlying argument of state's right to Federal Taxes collected from their citizen is ever litigated in court?
                    I don't think so ... but I agree that'd be interesting research!
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      From where I sit, it is difficult to understand how suing CMS on Day 45 of a 60-day session regarding an issue the state has been aware of for the last 12 months will yield a timely resolution to the critical health care challenges facing our state," Senate President Andy Gardiner, R-Orlando
                      A mealy-mouthed, useless, fact-free bit of political posturing. This sort of attitude is why most Republicans can't be described as representatives in any reasonable sense. If anyone supposedly on my team said this in public in the midst of negotiations, he'd be banned from the party for life. The federal government always, always, always, ALWAYS runs out the clock on these issues if it can get away with it, and half of the negotiations with them are in determining how it plans to do so.

                      Federal health officials have said they are open to negotiating a successor program, but no deal has been reached.

                      The negotiations took a turn Tuesday, when CMS told Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration that any decision regarding LIP would be tied to whether the state accepts federal Medicaid expansion money — a politically charged policy option that Scott once supported, but now opposes.

                      Scott blasted CMS on Thursday, saying that linking the two issues violated a U.S. Supreme Court ruling "that the president cannot force Medicaid expansion on states."

                      "Not only does President Obama's end to LIP funding in Florida violate the law by crossing the line into a coercion tactic for Obamacare, it also threatens poor families' access to the safety net health care services they need," Scott said.

                      He called the actions "outrageous and specifically what the Supreme Court warned against."
                      Rick Scott's the only one who sounds like he's actually trying to govern and represent his people rather than regurgitate pre-approved talking points in the whole business.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Considering how much Scott has slashed from medicaid already and that Florida is at the bottom of the barrel for how it treats its citizens who are uninsured or on medicaid I can see why Scott doesn't like this at all. However Florida desperately needs an overhaul. My daughter's dad is severely disabled and remains unable to find a basic family physician aside from a pill mill. I think the feds may need to step in.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          Considering how much Scott has slashed from medicaid already and that Florida is at the bottom of the barrel for how it treats its citizens who are uninsured or on medicaid I can see why Scott doesn't like this at all. However Florida desperately needs an overhaul. My daughter's dad is severely disabled and remains unable to find a basic family physician aside from a pill mill. I think the feds may need to step in.
                          I seem to recall warning all of you way back in the day that the primary effect of Obamacare would be to decimate the ranks of basic and family practice physicians. Why, exactly, are you now crying to the federal government to fix a problem that it created?

                          Originally posted by Rick Scott
                          "Not only does President Obama's end to LIP funding in Florida violate the law by crossing the line into a coercion tactic for Obamacare, it also threatens poor families' access to the safety net health care services they need. The population in Florida served under the LIP program is different from the population that would be covered under any Medicaid expansion, as is well documented in a recent Urban Institute report that said Florida would still have $1.6 billion in uncompensated care costs with or without an expansion of Medicaid.

                          "We will fight to protect the health care of Floridians, and their right to be free from federal overreach. Our citizens already pay federal taxes that go into the federal LIP program. Now, President Obama has decided that the state must take on a larger Medicaid program, forcing our taxpayers to pay even more to government, before they get their own federal tax dollars back. This is outrageous, and specifically what the Supreme Court warned against.

                          "Our democracy is designed so that state governments can make the decision to not take on federal programs that will ultimately cost state taxpayers billions of dollars. We will not pass this cost on to our citizens in Florida and we will continue to fight for the federal LIP dollars our citizens already pay for with their federal taxes."
                          My sense is that he's not very happy about the Fedgov using its usual workarounds to negotiations that it used in the past, and has therefore decided on the Honey Badger option. More power to him.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                            I seem to recall warning all of you way back in the day that the primary effect of Obamacare would be to decimate the ranks of basic and family practice physicians.
                            And you were far from alone on that.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Why is Epo sticking up for Rick Scott? Just cause he's a Republican? Seems to me that most politicians of either party aren't the best and most competent people in the world anyways.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seanD, Yesterday, 05:25 PM
                              2 responses
                              50 views
                              3 likes
                              Last Post seanD
                              by seanD
                               
                              Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 01:23 PM
                              4 responses
                              51 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 10:30 AM
                              59 responses
                              330 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Started by Starlight, 10-16-2020, 06:20 PM
                              23 responses
                              208 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post oxmixmudd  
                              Started by Whateverman, 10-16-2020, 06:20 PM
                              16 responses
                              141 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Whateverman  
                              Working...
                              X