Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Look how tolerant they are!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    just stop clicking on the link Spart
    1. Raph's response was more amusing, more helpful (and, to a certain extent, helpful precisely because it was amusing), and more timely.

2. Civics threads show up whenever I use the "new posts" feature, meaning I see that there's a thread called "get rid of the Christians" about Christians enlisting less frequently in the military, and one called "more from the religion of peace" about Muslim migrants throwing Christians overboard during the (already dangerous) Mediterranean crossing. You could switch the threads' titles and they'd still make about as much sense.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Which means, Grand Goofus, they the are INTOLERANT.
      Not at all. There is no contradiction between disliking something and tolerating it. In fact, tolerating something implies that one dislikes it, because otherwise one would be accepting it rather than tolerating it.

I tolerate you because I'm commanded to, not because I think you're worth it.
      Why are you behaving like this, Cow Poke?

What happened to those nice, civil posts from a few months ago? Did you decide that changing my username from square_peg to fm93 was grounds to abandon everything you did/said? I haven't called you names or insulted you in this thread, or in any other thread. I haven't been dismissive towards anything you've said; to the contrary, I've engaged with all your posts, wanting to have some reasonable and constructive discussions, but you've gone back to ignoring large swaths of some of my posts.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        1. Being tolerant of someone originally meant being able to live alongside them even though you disagree with them, it did not necessitate you to engage in dialogue with them. Sparko as an owner of this site is allowing you to espouse your viewpoints here even though he seems to largely disagree with you, which means that he is in fact, being tolerant of you.
        I posted a polite, civil response asking some perfectly reasonable questions, and he in return deletes everything I wrote and replaces it with an onomatopoeia of regurgitation. Obviously tolerance doesn't entail that one agrees with another person, but he showed such a stunning lack of respect and basic decency that tolerance just filed a restraining order saying that Sparko is forbidden from being mentioned anywhere within the same sentence as the word tolerance. If you can't spare even a minimal effort in civilly engaging with a post that clearly wanted to civilly engage with you, you most definitely shouldn't be said to be exhibiting a sort of tolerance.

2. You don't know if he read your post.
        It's a reasonable assumption to make, given that the tone and content of my post gave no grounds for responding in such a dismissive manner.

3. Stop misusing asterisks!
        *No.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
          Not at all. There is no contradiction between disliking something and tolerating it. In fact, tolerating something implies that one dislikes it, because otherwise one would be accepting it rather than tolerating it.
          I think you have a total disconnect with regards to "intolerant". I give up on trying to reason that with you.

Why are you behaving like this, Cow Poke?
          Like Paul told Titus "rebuke them sharply".

What happened to those nice, civil posts from a few months ago?
          I have low tolerance for specious attacks on Christianity.

Did you decide that changing my username from square_peg to fm93 was grounds to abandon everything you did/said?
          I had totally forgotten you used to be square_peg, so that has nothing to do with it.

I haven't called you names or insulted you in this thread, or in any other thread.
          Your attempt to equate Christianity with the barbarism of Islam is, indeed, an insult.

I haven't been dismissive towards anything you've said; to the contrary, I've engaged with all your posts, wanting to have some reasonable and constructive discussions, but you've gone back to ignoring large swaths of some of my posts.
          You just keep repeating the same thing over and over, and you are NOT responding to posts in kind.

I ask where whole communities of Christians are rejoicing over the death and destruction carried out by a fellow Christian in the name of Christ - on a par with the way Muslims rejoice over car bombings or suicide murders or decapitations or the murder and rape of innocent children, and you come up with nutty stuff like Christians insulting gays and supporting pizza makers.

Does that really and honestly make any sense to you at all?

And I apologize for calling you a grand goofus - I was joking, but should reserve that for my friends like Sparko and Rogue who would KNOW I was joking.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I posted a polite, civil response asking some perfectly reasonable questions, and he in return deletes everything I wrote and replaces it with an onomatopoeia of regurgitation
            That's actually funny!

A clever "onomatopoeia of regurgitation" in the same sentence where you're claiming to be polite and civil.

I like it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I posted a polite, civil response asking some perfectly reasonable questions, and he in return deletes everything I wrote and replaces it with an onomatopoeia of regurgitation. Obviously tolerance doesn't entail that one agrees with another person, but he showed such a stunning lack of respect and basic decency that tolerance just filed a restraining order saying that Sparko is forbidden from being mentioned anywhere within the same sentence as the word tolerance. If you can't spare even a minimal effort in civilly engaging with a post that clearly wanted to civilly engage with you, you most definitely shouldn't be said to be exhibiting a sort of tolerance.
              None of the behaviour which you described above constitutes intolerancy.

It's a reasonable assumption to make, given that the tone and content of my post gave no grounds for responding in such a dismissive manner.
              No it isn't. It is well within the constraints of plausibility that Sparko thought that the tone and content of your post warranted the sort of dismissive reply that he gave it.

*No.

Comment

OK, I can't.....

Gonna try ONE MORE time with this "tolerance" / "intolerance" thing.

Dear sweet fm:

When I was in Israel recently, there were Mosques and Muslims all over the place. In Old City Jerusalem, you could hardly tell where the Jewish quarter began, and the Muslim or Christian or Armenian quarters ended OR began - everybody was getting along just fine. MOSQUES, fm, in Israel - about TWENTY of them in such a tiny JEWISH country.

In areas where Islam is in control, are Christian Churches allowed to operate? Are nonbelievers (in Islam) allowed to live in peace? Are ancient religious structures allowed to exist?

Now, talk to me about tolerance and intolerance, please.

Your buddy,

CP

Comment

I think you have a total disconnect with regards to "intolerant". I give up on trying to reason that with you.
                  But I am using the dictionary definition of "intolerant." It's with regard to the word "bigot" that I'm telling you what the informal usage seems to be.

Like Paul told Titus "rebuke them sharply".
                  You left out the part that comes after that verse: "...so that they will be sound in the faith."

You're not "rebuking sharply." What Jesus said to the Pharisees, when he condemned them but also made clear what his point was and tied it in to the righteousness of God in showing them the error of their ways, was sharp rebuking. There was a constructive point to it, and an implicit offer for the person being rebuked to better himself. You're just throwing around wrongful insults on my character and integrity.

I have low tolerance for specious attacks on Christianity.

Your attempt to equate Christianity with the barbarism of Islam is, indeed, an insult.
                  But I am absolutely NOT attacking Christianity! What I thought I had made clear in that other thread was that those terrible actions done by some Christians do not represent what Christianity is inherently about--sort of like how terrible actions done by some Muslims do not represent what Islam is inherently about.

As I said in that other thread:
                  And to be clear, I'm not saying that Christianity is inherently a bad thing. I believe it's inherently/ideally a beautiful thing. I don't raise all these examples to cast it in a bad light; rather, I'm trying to show that religiously-motivated atrocities are ultimately a sign of the failing of the human condition, not of some inherent evil in Christianity or in Islam.
                  If you look through my posts, you'll notice that what I say in those is examples is "Christians have done such-and-such bad things," which is factually true, and never "Christianity is bad/false because of what's been done in its name."

You just keep repeating the same thing over and over, and you are NOT responding to posts in kind.
                  How am I "not responding to posts in kind?"

I ask where whole communities of Christians are rejoicing over the death and destruction carried out by a fellow Christian in the name of Christ - on a par with the way Muslims rejoice over car bombings or suicide murders or decapitations or the murder and rape of innocent children, and you come up with nutty stuff like Christians insulting gays and supporting pizza makers.
                  I specifically acknowledged that there are NOT whole communities of Christians celebrating acts of Christian terrorism right now, and that the celebration of people/incidents that insult gay folks is not equivalent to that. I raised it simply to point out that the absence of celebrating terrorism does not mean that certain Christian communities are completely blameless. There is less work to be done than in some Muslim communities, but there nevertheless is still work to be done.

That's actually funny!

A clever "onomatopoeia of regurgitation" in the same sentence where you're claiming to be polite and civil.

I like it.
                  His response to my post was literally an onomatopoeic word referring to regurgitation.

Comment

But I am using the dictionary definition of "intolerant." It's with regard to the word "bigot" that I'm telling you what the informal usage seems to be.
                    I'll wait for your response to my question about Islamic 'tolerance' of Christianity in lands they control.

Comment

None of the behaviour which you described above constitutes intolerancy.
                      So you believe that not even trying to engage with what was really a short post fits with the spirit of tolerance? When I go to sporting events, I dislike seeing fans of the opposing team, but I tolerate them and interact with them if they try to interact with me. Sparko did nothing remotely like that.

No it isn't. It is well within the constraints of plausibility that Sparko thought that the tone and content of your post warranted the sort of dismissive reply that he gave it.
                      For reference, here's what I posted:

Okay, first of all, the groups who support gay rights extend far beyond merely "radical liberals" and gay people. Moderate liberals, moderates, independents, and even some conservatives (such as the Log Cabin Republicans) support gay rights as well, and many of those people are straight.

Second of all, who in the world are you conversing with that actually mentions "tolerance" as a point of argument? I see plenty of gay rights supporters calling conservative Christians bigots and homophobes, but I don't actually see them calling Christians intolerant. It's probably the term that gets thrown around the least, but you focus on it as if it's the one used the most.

Finally, no one in this thread has said anything remotely similar to that, so I have no clue what the relevance of that last post was.

What, pray tell, is in that post that could possibly be reasonable construed as "warranting a completely dismissive faux-reply?"

Then stop spelling words like "behavior" with an "-our" at the end!
                      Last edited by fm93; 04-18-2015, 09:21 AM.

Comment

But I am absolutely NOT attacking Christianity!
                        Yeah, you really are. And not very effectively.

What I thought I had made clear in that other thread
                        WHAT other thread?

was that those terrible actions done by some Christians do not represent what Christianity is inherently about
                        Cool!

--sort of like how terrible actions done by some Muslims do not represent what Islam is inherently about.
                        And, there, you depart from reality.... I'm thinking you really don't understand Islam.

Comment

So you believe that not even trying to engage with what was really a short post fits with the spirit of tolerance?
                          Yes. Tolerance has to do with allowing someone to state their opinions without trying to stop them, it has nothing to do with willingness to engage.
                          For reference, here's what I posted:

What, pray tell, is in that post that could possibly be reasonable construed as "warranting a completely dismissive faux-reply?"
                          You'd have to ask Sparko that, I don't have access to his thought-processes.

Then stop spelling words like "behavior" with an "-our" at the end!
                          Why would I want to go from writing with class to writing like a savage?

Comment

His response to my post was literally an onomatopoeic word referring to regurgitation.
                            Yes, I thought it was clever on your part. And, I guess it was, INDEED, more polite and civil than other words you could have used.

Comment

Why would I want to go from writing with class to writing like a savage?
                              You keep wasting money on buying unnecessary vowels, and you will end up in poverty like a savage*.

*if, indeed, savages generally end up in poverty

Comment

OK, I can't.....

Gonna try ONE MORE time with this "tolerance" / "intolerance" thing.

Dear sweet fm:

When I was in Israel recently, there were Mosques and Muslims all over the place. In Old City Jerusalem, you could hardly tell where the Jewish quarter began, and the Muslim or Christian or Armenian quarters ended OR began - everybody was getting along just fine. MOSQUES, fm, in Israel - about TWENTY of them in such a tiny JEWISH country.

In areas where Islam is in control, are Christian Churches allowed to operate? Are nonbelievers (in Islam) allowed to live in peace? Are ancient religious structures allowed to exist?

Now, talk to me about tolerance and intolerance, please.

Your buddy,

CP
                                Well, generally not...but what exactly does this have to do with what I was saying about how people commonly use the word "bigot" in a way that doesn't necessarily involve intolerance?

Comment