Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Look how tolerant they are!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
    I see plenty of gay rights supporters calling conservative Christians bigots and homophobes, but I don't actually see them calling Christians intolerant.
    Bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

EPIC fail
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

John 15:18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me.
      I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        That's what I thought
        Sparko: "I'm going to make an annoying meme scolding hypocritical people for not being tolerant themselves!"

*is so intolerant of me that he won't even look at my post
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

EPIC fail
          That isn't what they have in mind when they use the term "bigots," however. They clearly mean something more like this:

a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

Legendary fail.
          Last edited by fm93; 04-17-2015, 04:11 PM.
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

That isn't what they have in mind when they use the term "bigots," however. They clearly mean something more like this:

a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

Legendary fail.
            So if someone refuses to accept the members of a particular group, wouldn't you say that they're intolerant of that particular group?
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              So if someone refuses to accept the members of a particular group, wouldn't you say that they're intolerant of that particular group?
              Certainly, but the first part, which is what people usually focus on when they use the word "bigot," doesn't necessitate that.

Comment

Certainly, but the first part, which is what people usually focus on when they use the word "bigot," doesn't necessitate that.
                In my experience they seem to be used largely interchangeably.

Comment

You and I are interacting with completely different people, I guess.

In all seriousness, do you interact with people who actually specifically mention "intolerance?"

Comment

You and I are interacting with completely different people, I guess.

In all seriousness, do you interact with people who actually specifically mention "intolerance?"
                    I don't actually do that much interaction, but yeah, I've seen "intolerance" specifically mentioned. Anyway, just my experience.

Btw, it'd be kind of weird if you and I were interacting with the same people, wouldn't it?

Comment

Sparko: "I'm going to make an annoying meme scolding hypocritical people for not being tolerant themselves!"

*is so intolerant of me that he won't even look at my post
                      1. Being tolerant of someone originally meant being able to live alongside them even though you disagree with them, it did not necessitate you to engage in dialogue with them. Sparko as an owner of this site is allowing you to espouse your viewpoints here even though he seems to largely disagree with you, which means that he is in fact, being tolerant of you.

2. You don't know if he read your post.

3. Stop misusing asterisks!

Comment

Legendary fail.
                        Which means, Grand Goofus, they the are INTOLERANT.

Catastrophic fail.

I tolerate you because I'm commanded to, not because I think you're worth it.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Unless you just want to argue, in which case you can be a buttkuss and claim that you know better what somebody means than they do.

Comment

Legendary fail.
                            intolerant
                            [in-tol-er-uh nt]
                            Spell Syllables
                            Synonyms Examples Word Origin
                            adjective
                            not tolerating or respecting beliefs, opinions, usages, manners, etc., different from one's own, as in political or religious matters; bigoted.
                            unable or unwilling to tolerate or endure (usually followed by of):
                            intolerant of very hot weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              intolerant
                              [in-tol-er-uh nt]
                              Spell Syllables
                              Synonyms Examples Word Origin
                              adjective
                              not tolerating or respecting beliefs, opinions, usages, manners, etc., different from one's own, as in political or religious matters; bigoted.
                              unable or unwilling to tolerate or endure (usually followed by of):
                              intolerant of very hot weather.

He ain't gonna gets it no matter what we say - let's stop trying to confuse him with the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                                alternatively ... is there any way I can ignore the entire civics sub-forum?
                                just stop clicking on the link Spart

Comment