Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Get Rid Of The Christians....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Rid Of The Christians....

Sure get rid of the Christians there will be helpful. All because of political correctness...

By Jacqueline Klimas - The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Soon there may only be atheists in the foxholes.

Christians are leaving the U.S. military or are discouraged from joining in the first place because of a “hostile work environment” that doesn’t let them express their beliefs openly, religious freedom advocates say.

Michael Berry, senior counsel at the Liberty Institute, a Texas-based legal organization dedicated to defending religious liberty in America, said recent high-profile cases of military chaplains facing punishment for private counseling sessions that reflected the teachings of their religion could cause devout Americans who are qualified for military service to think twice about joining the military.

In December, a chaplain for a Ranger training battalion received an administrative letter of concern after a soldier complained that he advocated Christianity and used the Bible during a mandatory unit suicide-prevention training session. The Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers said the chaplain “used his official position to force his personal religious beliefs on a captive military audience” in an article the group posted on its website.

And, last month, a Navy chaplain was removed from his post and may lose his career after some sailors complained about his private counseling, in which he reportedly advocated against homosexuality and sex outside of marriage.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz3XTfoBol0
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

What the heck do they think a chaplain is for, then?

Obviously, chaplains are no longer needed. Let the State deal with whatever "spiritual" issues the military might think it has. That is in essence what is happening anyway, looks like.

And if it means fewer believers sign up, oh well.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      What the heck do they think a chaplain is for, then?

Obviously, chaplains are no longer needed. Let the State deal with whatever "spiritual" issues the military might think it has. That is in essence what is happening anyway, looks like.

And if it means fewer believers sign up, oh well.
      Considering what the Chaplin service was instituted for:http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel04.html

Military Chaplains Pay

This resolution directed that military chaplains, appointed in abundance by Congress during the Revolutionary War, were paid at the rate of a major in the Continental Army.

Morality in the Army

Congress was apprehensive about the moral condition of the American army and navy and took steps to see that Christian morality prevailed in both organizations. In the Articles of War, seen below, governing the conduct of the Continental Army (seen above) (adopted, June 30, 1775; revised, September 20, 1776), Congress devoted three of the four articles in the first section to the religious nurture of the troops. Article 2 "earnestly recommended to all officers and soldiers to attend divine services." Punishment was prescribed for those who behaved "indecently or irreverently" in churches, including courts-martial, fines and imprisonments. Chaplains who deserted their troops were to be court-martialed.

Morality in the Navy

Congress particularly feared the navy as a source of moral corruption and demanded that skippers of American ships make their men behave. The first article in Rules and Regulations of the Navy (below), adopted on November 28, 1775, ordered all commanders "to be very vigilant . . . to discountenance and suppress all dissolute, immoral and disorderly practices." The second article required those same commanders "to take care, that divine services be performed twice a day on board, and a sermon preached on Sundays." Article 3 prescribed punishments for swearers and blasphemers: officers were to be fined and common sailors were to be forced "to wear a wooden collar or some other shameful badge of distinction."
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

It's like our Founding Fathers never heard of "separation of church and state".
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          It's like our Founding Fathers never heard of "separation of church and state".

Yes, read some of the stuff in my link. The problem is "separation" never meant what the modern liberals claim it means.

Comment

I guess the armed services now will go the direction of Star Trek ... having the counselors instead of chaplains. Maybe both are needed now with the first being sort of an atheist chaplain.

I sort of wonder what these guys expected when they went for counseling with a chaplain -- maybe that he hand out protection?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              I sort of wonder what these guys expected when they went for counseling with a chaplain -- maybe that he hand out protection?
              Like they didn't expect religious views?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Yes, read some of the stuff in my link. The problem is "separation" never meant what the modern liberals claim it means.
                Bingo. They didn't want the government suppressing religious freedom. They never, in their wildest dreams, expected future Americans to interpret this to mean that religion should be abolished from all public life.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  I guess the armed services now will go the direction of Star Trek ... having the counselors instead of chaplains. Maybe both are needed now with the first being sort of an atheist chaplain.

They expected exactly the same thing that militant gays expect when they go to a Christian business owner and ask him to participate in a gay wedding. Christians are being specifically targeted and silenced.

Comment

They expected exactly the same thing that militant gays expect when they go to a Christian business owner and ask him to participate in a gay wedding. Christians are being specifically targeted and silenced.
                    yep...

Comment

I'm highly skeptical that this actually happened, unless you're trying to twist "Hi, could you please bake some cake/pizzas for my gay wedding" into literally participating in the wedding.
                      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Talking about getting rid of Christians:

Your god fearing ways, especially if you worship the god known as Allah, the supreme god and creator of the universe, will lead to murder. All gods love a killer – don’t ya think? To put it another way, gods make killing respectable; a matter of honour.

“Italian police say they have arrested 15 Muslim migrants after they allegedly threw 12 Christians overboard following a row on a boat heading to Italy. The Christian migrants, said to be from Ghana and Nigeria, are all feared dead.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32337725
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          Talking about getting rid of Christians:

Your god fearing ways, especially if you worship the god known as Allah, the supreme god and creator of the universe, will lead to murder. All gods love a killer – don’t ya think? To put it another way, gods make killing respectable; a matter of honour.

“Italian police say they have arrested 15 Muslim migrants after they allegedly threw 12 Christians overboard following a row on a boat heading to Italy. The Christian migrants, said to be from Ghana and Nigeria, are all feared dead.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32337725
                          Matthew 5:43-45New International Version (NIV)

Love for Enemies
                          43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Romans 12:16-18New International Version (NIV)

16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[a] Do not be conceited.

17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Comment

Well. It is possible the guys sought counsel for the purpose of laying a trap.

One thing that comes to mind (without having read up on the situation) is that the chaplain may have provided as much help as possible within a neutral context. He may have simply made a careful and brief statement that he understood from scripture that one should avoid sexual relations outside of a biblical marriage. The guy being helped then got upset at the bias.

But in the theoretical situation that a homosexual was asking for actual counseling, what was he expecting? Maybe a simple "these things happen in life, you will get past your present depression"? And the chaplain probably gave as much of this sort of generic support as possible.

Maybe I'm dwelling on the insignificant points.

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                              I'm highly skeptical that this actually happened, unless you're trying to twist "Hi, could you please bake some cake/pizzas for my gay wedding" into literally participating in the wedding.
                              I'm not twisting anything. I just don't accept the false distinction between providing a good/service and participation. If you're a caterer, and you provide catering service at an event, then you have participated in that event. If you're a baker, and you provide goods for an event, then you have participated in that event. It's why freedom of association is such an important right.

Comment