Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How All Traffic Stops Should Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    That is an argument from silence.

It isn't.

If only the more sensational incidents are reported in the media that it follows that a lot of police brutality isn't, such as those without photographic/video evidence that can go viral.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    meh, when I was in South Africa, my hijacking never even made the local news apart from the monthly police crime stats.
    That is because the police didn't hijack your car.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    meh, when I was in South Africa, my hijacking never even made the local news apart from the monthly police crime stats.
    To be clear, when you say "my hijacking" are you referring to an incident wherein your car was hijacked by someone else, or do you mean that you personally committed a hijacking?

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by fm93 View Post
    That's all well and good, but what exactly is the point being made? "Hey guys, most officers aren't bad, so stop focusing on obtaining justice for the victims who were abused by bad officers?"
    Do you try to bait us into calling your remarks stupid? Because this looks like top grade chum here. You can't seriously think that was the point I was making. PLEASE tell me you were trying to be facetious... PLEASE??

It's a good thing that nothing bad happened in this instance, but this young man upholding it like it's something special seems odd;
    It's a lesson that is MUCH needed. Don't act like you have something to hide and cooperate with the police when they ask you to do something, and chances are they will return the respect.

it's as if a parent said she was glad that she didn't abuse her children this morning.
    No. it would be as if a person was showing how not to get their behind kicked by not instigating the butt whipping.

Traffic stops should always be perfectly fine, and they usually are, so of course reporters don't need to cover routine harmless traffic stops.
    This was a viral video, not a news report.

I'm fairly certain that the folks protesting recent events are aware that bad officers are in the minority, just as I'm fairly certain that their point is "Even one bad cop is one too many."
    But they STILL need to know that doing what the cop says when he says it will generally lead to peaceful interactions with the cops. The Police are not the enemy, despite how a large swath of the entire culture is trying to portray them.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by fm93 View Post
    That's all well and good, but what exactly is the point being made? "Hey guys, most officers aren't bad, so stop focusing on obtaining justice for the victims who were abused by bad officers?"

It's a good thing that nothing bad happened in this instance, but this young man upholding it like it's something special seems odd; it's as if a parent said she was glad that she didn't abuse her children this morning. Traffic stops should always be perfectly fine, and they usually are, so of course reporters don't need to cover routine harmless traffic stops. I'm fairly certain that the folks protesting recent events are aware that bad officers are in the minority, just as I'm fairly certain that their point is "Even one bad cop is one too many."
    These bad cops are punished.

What is your solution? Treat all cops as bad because a few are? Eliminate police altogether?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Only a dozen?
    I said "dozen" as a number representing a small number. It might be two dozen or so. The point was that the number of such incidents reported is small compared to what is not reported about good cops.

And these can only be the tip of the iceberg, since the ones that are reported in the media tend to be the ones with photographic/video evidence.
    That is an argument from silence. Which is one of the points I was making: that people see a few reports and extrapolate that all (or most) cops are bad, evil stormtroopers. I know several cops and my brother is one. CP used to be one, metro is one. They can testify that most cops are good.

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    http://mic.com/articles/115242/video...tops-should-go

A video of a young black man's reflections on a traffic stop in Lexington County, South Carolina has gone viral for its anti-stereotyping message.

22-year-old Army National Guardsman Will Stack recorded the clip from in his car after being pulled over by a white police officer for crossing a traffic median while making a left turn outside the county courthouse. After a polite, calm encounter in which Stack kept his hands on the wheel and the officer explained Stack's error, Stack drove away without a ticket and none the worse for wear.

In the video, Stack argues that this polite run-in with the cops happened just as it should have. He adds that it demonstrates incidents like the traffic stop shooting of Walter Scott in North Charleston shouldn't be viewed as the norm:

NBC 12 reported that Stack intended the video to be a "positive" counterpart to the overwhelmingly negative media coverage of race relations across the United States.

"I am an African-American male. This gentleman was a Caucasian," Stack says in the two-minute video. "There were no problems."

"He did his job, I did what I was supposed to do, and that was it. You know, I feel like people need to understand that not all officers are crooked. Not all officers are racist, bad people, and not people who get got shot or Tased or arrested by officers are innocent victims," he continued. "You know, just because you're black doesn't mean you're a victim. Just because you're white doesn't mean you're a racist."

It's a good thing that nothing bad happened in this instance, but this young man upholding it like it's something special seems odd; it's as if a parent said she was glad that she didn't abuse her children this morning. Traffic stops should always be perfectly fine, and they usually are, so of course reporters don't need to cover routine harmless traffic stops. I'm fairly certain that the folks protesting recent events are aware that bad officers are in the minority, just as I'm fairly certain that their point is "Even one bad cop is one too many."

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Oyou might see a dozen or so news articles per year about bad cops
    Only a dozen? And these can only be the tip of the iceberg, since the ones that are reported in the media tend to be the ones with photographic/video evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    That's what I mean. The news people love a story like that and so that is what you see and read about. But compared to the number of good cops and good arrests that go on every day, the news articles are only a small percentage, probably less than .1%

You don't read about all of the cars that make it home just fine each day, but you do read about pile ups and wrecks. Same with airlines. How many planes land safely? You never read about them. Just the hijackings and wrecks. If you went by the news, you would never leave your house.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    problem is that the bad eggs (as few as they may be) are making some very noisy and messy international headlines at the moment
    That's what I mean. The news people love a story like that and so that is what you see and read about. But compared to the number of good cops and good arrests that go on every day, the news articles are only a small percentage, probably less than .1%

You don't read about all of the cars that make it home just fine each day, but you do read about pile ups and wrecks. Same with airlines. How many planes land safely? You never read about them. Just the hijackings and wrecks. If you went by the news, you would never leave your house.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    This was the same point I made in another thread. The news just reports the sensational stuff, not the ordinary stuff. There are a lot more good cops than bad ones.

Out of thousands of arrests every day in this country, you might see a dozen or so news articles per year about bad cops. Those that judge all cops by a few bad ones are the very definition of prejudiced. Judging a group by a few people.
    problem is that the bad eggs (as few as they may be) are making some very noisy and messy international headlines at the moment

Leave a comment:

• nickcopernicus
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    NICK!
    #Notttryingtomakeyoucheat

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    What a nice young man Will is...

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    This was the same point I made in another thread. The news just reports the sensational stuff, not the ordinary stuff. There are a lot more good cops than bad ones.

Out of thousands of arrests every day in this country, you might see a dozen or so news articles per year about bad cops. Those that judge all cops by a few bad ones are the very definition of prejudiced. Judging a group by a few people.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    NICK!

Leave a comment: