Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Death Or Life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartacus
    replied
    I long ago ceased to be surprised to find people who are angrier at those who draw attention to corruption and abuse of authority than at the people who are actually abusing the authority, or who have more contempt for those among whom law enforcement has a bad name than for those whose conduct actually gives law enforcement a bad name among those people, but that's all a tangent. If you take issue with it, PM me

As for the thread topic, nothing we say here will affect the sentence one way or the other, but it's worth thinking about the message the sentence might send one way or the other (sorry, i have too much rhetorician in me to NOT think about these implications). What would a death sentence say to the people of Massachusetts, who haven't had the death penalty on the books since 1984? To the country as a whole? To the world? What about mercy, however we try to set it up?

aside to hamster: capital punishment in the US is not applied swiftly. There's really no such thing as a speedy execution. The death itself may well be quick, but the lead-up to it almost necessarily takes years and years.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    This is just as dumb as when a TWebber recently tried to generalize all atheists based on the shooting in Chapel Hill.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Because it's totally sound to generalize based on one member of a very large group.

Leave a comment:

• Yttrium
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I guess you haven't seen the news.
    Please don't characterize a group by the actions of a few rogue members. Especially groups that are devoted to protecting the public.

Leave a comment:

• Roy
    replied
    Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    You sir are a jackass . Folks like who impugn for no reason the integrity honor, and courage of those men and women in uniform(civil or military) should crawl under the rocks you come from.
    I guess you haven't seen the news.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    I thought the death penalty was mostly used on people policeman were too lazy to run after.

Roy
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

2edgy4me

Leave a comment:

• hamster
    replied
    Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
    There's no reason to execute people in our society other than satisfaction some people get from killing people. It's legal sadism.
    Is there realistically anything we can do that will not cause him harm/emotional distress? If he isn't executed his freedom will be taken away forever and he'll live the rest of his life on a little compound surrounded by other murderers. Not that I'm for the death penalty (I would rather it wasn't there) but I think it's wrong to act like we're more enlightened because we want someone to suffer in a dungeon for 50+ years rather than face a speedy execution

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    So now we can add "sadistic" to the list of descriptions of people who disagree with seasanctuary.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    There's no reason to execute people in our society other than satisfaction some people get from killing people. It's legal sadism.
    No, legal justice. And yes justice can satisfy our innate moral sense.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    You've made a lot of posts recently that seem to evidence some very intimate knowledge of the motivation of the people who disagree with you. I don't remember you being this utterly negative toward Christians and conservatives.

Leave a comment:

• seasanctuary
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Sheesh Sea, some would simply call this justice. Murder fantasies? Really?

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied
    I thought the death penalty was mostly used on people policeman were too lazy to run after.

Roy
    You sir are a jackass . Folks like who impugn for no reason the integrity honor, and courage of those men and women in uniform(civil or military) should crawl under the rocks you come from.
    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 04-09-2015, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

Roy
    The next time some one is breaking into your house Roy call one of your idiot liberal friends...

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied

Roy
    TOTALLY uncalled for, Roy. Utterly tasteless.

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Yep, religion is good at murder.
    Not as good as Communism!

Leave a comment: