Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Death Or Life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Mat 5.38: "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' 39"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40"If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.…" But fear not, with some creative exegesis you can support your bias.
    OH MY GOD HOW DID WE NEVER SEE THAT VERSE BEFORE

It's an act of protest against an overwhelming power meant to shame the oppressor in a honor/shame culture. It has absolutely nothing to do with government policy. What you call "creative exegesis" is what the rest of us call "education".

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    If someone intentionally removes another's life, then that person has forfeited their own right to live.
    Mat 5.38: "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' 39"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40"If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.…" But fear not, with some creative exegesis you can support your bias.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    And then there's the civilised solution of abolishing capital punishment altogether. What is it with Christians with their desire to punish and exact revenge, is it the heaven or hell mentality?
    Unlike you we are still humans. It's your mentality that is abnormal and a product of being sheltered from reality by the civilizations Christians built without your help or the help of your ideological peers. Don't worry, as you bring your nations to your knees you and your descendants (assuming you ever actually get any, statistics aren't in your favor on this one either) will be reminded the hard way why justice is not mocked.

Just look at the nations worldwide that the Christian USA identifies with in this regard - none from the developed world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_...ent_by_country
    I don't see the Roman Empire or the British Empire or any of the other great civilizations of the past on that list. Maybe that's why we don't have any great modern civilizations, just a dying superpower surrounded by weak european and pseudo-european poofs?

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    I'd change "intentionally" to "unlawfully" in that sentence, but otherwise true. There are people whose lives very much need to be willfully and intentionally removed if we're to have any hope of returning true love or hate to the world in our lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
    There's no reason to execute people in our society other than satisfaction some people get from killing people. It's legal sadism.
    If someone intentionally removes another's life, then that person has forfeited their own right to live.

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I'm sure there's a middle of the road solution between executing them before the trial and 20 years of appeals.
    And then there's the civilised solution of abolishing capital punishment altogether. What is it with Christians with their desire to punish and exact revenge, is it the heaven or hell mentality? Just look at the nations worldwide that the Christian USA identifies with in this regard - none from the developed world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_...ent_by_country

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    I'm sure there's a middle of the road solution between executing them before the trial and 20 years of appeals.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    I'm not fiscally conservative but even if I was there are ways to expedite the process.
    Sure, execute them before the trial. Saves everyone a lot of time and money.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Like Rick Perry? Unfortunately with the death penalty, there's no way to undo it once you later find out that they were innocent.

Not to mention that seeking the death penalty is generally not fiscally conservative, as it results in massive additional trial costs.
    I'm not fiscally conservative but even if I was there are ways to expedite the process.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    ISIS is "villainised" for executing anybody at all. Capital Punishment is barbaric, not the behaviour of a civilised nation and nor is it practised by any of the Western powers apart from the Christian USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_...ment_by_nation

My own country, Australia abolished it 50 years ago, because it couldn't be justified as a deterrent. It's not, it's nothing more than cheap revenge.
    I can see why the descendants of a prison colony might be a bit jumpy at the thought of swinging in the winds, necks held firmly by Grandfather Rope. I suspect liberals in general feel a touch of existential dread nudging at their hind brain, as if you know deep inside that you deserve a grim end for your atrocities, which manifests itself in a pretty hysterical manner.

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    ISIS is villainized for executing innocent people, I doubt any of us cares if they executed, say, an abortionist.
    ISIS is "villainised" for executing anybody at all. Capital Punishment is barbaric, not the behaviour of a civilised nation and nor is it practised by any of the Western powers apart from the Christian USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_...ment_by_nation

My own country, Australia abolished it 50 years ago, because it couldn't be justified as a deterrent. It's not, it's nothing more than cheap revenge.
    Last edited by Tassman; 04-12-2015, 11:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    ISIS is villainized for executing innocent people
    Like Rick Perry? Unfortunately with the death penalty, there's no way to undo it once you later find out that they were innocent.

Not to mention that seeking the death penalty is generally not fiscally conservative, as it results in massive additional trial costs.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    ISIS is villainized for executing innocent people, I doubt any of us cares if they executed, say, an abortionist.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    The people who rule us have about as much interest in legal consistency as Tassman or Starlight.
    Given we're from countries that haven't had the death penalty in 50 years, we've kind of just not got much interest in it, period.

I'll say this: If you're going to have state-sanctioned murder, then it would seem a case like this (where (a) no one is disputing the fact that the guy did it, and (b) he intentionally killed multiple people and harmed numerous others) would seem a reasonable instance to being doing it.

Just bear in mind every time you try to villainize ISIS for executing someone, it simply reminds me of the US and your Saudi Arabian allies.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    The people who rule us have about as much interest in legal consistency as Tassman or Starlight. Still technically Holder's Justice Department, after all.
    Where's the inconsistency? He was tried by the feds, it doesn't matter what Mass. law by judicial fiat says.

Leave a comment: