Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tribe Going After The EPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoetker
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    LOL... See that is what I mean - just a harmless little fuzz ball!
    Actually true:

tumblr_njgcv5VG5s1r7p8tto1_500.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam View Post
    You just restated the point I made and then chalked it up to "liberal herd-instinct".
    Accurately so.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    As opposed to conservative crowds and you in particular?
    Well I admit I am inclined to froth at the ignorance of your posts these last few months. What happened to you while you were away?

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Fixed.

Projection of the liberal herd-instinct. As far as I can tell seer is merely laughing at the liberal infighting; you're the one who first made any comment pertaining to the correctness of Tribe's stance, his motivations or how great it is that Tribe thinks Alike.
    You just restated the point I made and then chalked it up to "liberal herd-instinct".

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    But one can hardly point out an inconvenient fact and not expect a liberal to disqualify the people involved
    Fixed.

What you're trying to do here isn't show how right Tribe's argument is (you haven't bothered to mention it, even). All you're trying to do is say "Here's an accomplished liberal lawyer who thinks (in the most simplistic terms) like we do!! Even the liberals think this is unconstitutional!!"
    Projection of the liberal herd-instinct. As far as I can tell seer is merely laughing at the liberal infighting; you're the one who first made any comment pertaining to the correctness of Tribe's stance, his motivations or how great it is that Tribe thinks Alike.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5409[/ATTACH]
    LOL... See that is what I mean - just a harmless little fuzz ball!

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Of course, I'm just a big lovable teddy bear!
    tumblr_njgkqyigBu1r7p8tto1_500.jpg

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    Of course, I'm just a big lovable teddy bear!

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Hmmm....one enormous group has to make its money before it pays its advocates, the other can print all the money it wants to pay its own.

Really not seeing how who's funding whom is relevant. Presumably, Mr. Tribe could use his legal skills to argue for anyone, but he chose the coal companies even though people like Sam have dat knee-jerk BIG ENERGY COMPANY BAD, EPA REGULATORS GOOD AND AGENDA-FREE attitude so carefully inculcated by the educational system, which is-surprise!-guvment owned and operated, and tending to produce people credulous of the reasoning abilities/disinterestedness of civil servants vs. private citizens. Sometimes it is warranted, more often not, especially at the highest levels of government, where all follow the pull of the greatest institutional prejudices.

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    But liberal crowds are always frothing...

"Projection is a defense mechanism that involves taking our own unacceptable qualities or feelings and ascribing them to other people..."

http://psychology.about.com/od/theor...ensemech_7.htm

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    He may very well believe it (it's notable that Tribe has been on the "other side" of a constitutional issue with Obama before). And if you read Chait's article, Tribe defends his advocacy as being sincere. But it's not "poor Mr. Tribe," in the sense that he's propagating an obvious if inconvenient truth in front of a frothing liberal crowd. He's a lawyer whose getting paid to lawyer — the sincerity or value of his arguments are to be seen in that light, for good or bad.

What you're trying to do here isn't show how right Tribe's argument is (you haven't bothered to mention it, even). All you're trying to do is say "Here's an accomplished liberal lawyer who thinks (in the most simplistic terms) like we do!! Even the liberals think this is unconstitutional!!"

And it's worth noting just how worthless that kind of argument is in light of Tribe's paid advocacy. A discussion on the merits of his argument and legal precedent would be much more fruitful.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    LOL, so because Tribe is getting paid it means that he doesn't really believe that Obama is “burning the Constitution.” That means that any scientist getting funding from a Green group must be suspect. I will remember that going forward. And BTW the other "law professors" you mentioned could not hold a candle to Tribe's accomplishments. Sour grapes and envy.
    He may very well believe it (it's notable that Tribe has been on the "other side" of a constitutional issue with Obama before). And if you read Chait's article, Tribe defends his advocacy as being sincere. But it's not "poor Mr. Tribe," in the sense that he's propagating an obvious if inconvenient truth in front of a frothing liberal crowd. He's a lawyer whose getting paid to lawyer — the sincerity or value of his arguments are to be seen in that light, for good or bad.

And it's worth noting just how worthless that kind of argument is in light of Tribe's paid advocacy. A discussion on the merits of his argument and legal precedent would be much more fruitful.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    "Poor Mr. Tribe" happens to be being paid for his opposition to the EPA, here:

Source: Why Is a Liberal Professor Helping Mitch McConnell Fight for Coal Companies?. Jonathan Chait. NYMag.com. 2015/03/25

None of these conservatives managed to note, even parenthetically, what may be a salient fact: Tribe is being paid for his advocacy by a coal company called Peabody Energy. Only the Journal comes close to disclosing the relationship by noting, “Mr. Tribe joined with the world’s largest private coal company,” though “joined with” makes it sound like Tribe volunteered to endorse Peabody's argument, as opposed to being hired to do so.

Tribe is playing an important legal role, which has to be evaluated on its own terms. Other law professors, like Richard Revesz, Jody Freeman, and Richard Lazarus, have called Tribe’s legal argument frivolous and absurd. Tribe has responded. But aside from the legal case Tribe has devised, his advocacy is also playing a crucial public role in the debate — even liberal professor Laurence Tribe noted that Obama’s climate regulations must be unconstitutional, which sounds very different from even coal company lawyer Lawrence Tribe agrees that Obama’s climate regulations must be unconstitutional. Should anybody put weight on Tribe’s endorsement of the anti-Obama lawsuit, any more than they should have taken Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz’s word for it that O.J. Simpson was innocent?

© Copyright Original Source

LOL, so because Tribe is getting paid it means that he doesn't really believe that Obama is “burning the Constitution.” That means that any scientist getting funding from a Green group must be suspect. I will remember that going forward. And BTW the other "law professors" you mentioned could not hold a candle to Tribe's accomplishments. Sour grapes and envy.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Because it only counts as legit if someone does it for free?

Oh wait, sorry I am being rude to you again Sam. I better go google it.
    That's hardly necessary, as you can see from the first line of the second paragraph cited that Chait isn't making that argument:

Source: Ibid

Tribe is playing an important legal role, which has to be evaluated on its own terms.

© Copyright Original Source

But one can hardly point out that uber-liberal Lawrence Tribe is arguing that the EPA's action is unconstitutional and not expect someone to bring up the counterpoint that Lawrence Tribe is getting paid to argue that the EPA's action is unconstitutional. His point may end up still being valid (though it very probably isn't) but the cackling over a liberal lawyer with monetary ties to the coal industry makes about as much sense as when Conservatives were snickering about Allison Grimes' genuflections to the coal industry. If the point is that a liberal is opposing another liberal's intent, we should ask why that's so. In both cases mentioned, "follow the money" satisfies Occam's Razor pretty well.

Leave a comment: