Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Double Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Why doesn't this surprise me?
    Discrimination is about being negative towards a particular group of people based on their personal characteristics. Do you understand the difference between being negative and positive? Let me explain, because you don't seem to get it.

If someone is having a wedding, and celebrating the happiest day of their life, then baking them a cake and helping them celebrate the happiest day of their life is a nice thing to do. It's something positive. Helping others celebrate their happiness on the most special day of their lives is something something nice, sociable, loving, kind, people would want to do.

Whereas, if you say "no, I can't have you being happy, because you have some personal characteristics I despise and hate, and my religious beliefs tell me to be nasty to you. Therefore rather than help you celebrate your happiness I'm going to be as nasty as possible and express my objection to your wedding even though I wasn't asked, and in no way support you in your celebrations of your happiness and try my best to make you unhappy on your special day." That's a negative thing to do. Being out to stop the happiness of others and doing their best to ruin the most special day in someone else's life is something nasty, anti-social, hate-filled, malicious people would want to do. And doing it due to their personal characteristics (being gay) makes it "discrimination".

Now in this example, the guy wanted "two cakes with anti-gay messages" according to your quoted article. Let me break "anti-gay" down for you. There is the negative component: "anti". And there is the personal characteristic: "gay". Combine those together and you get discrimination. The guy wanted a cake baked with a discriminatory message. The bakery turned him down because the bakery doesn't approve of discrimination. In this example, the man wanting the cakes baked is trying to express nastiness and hate towards a select group of people based on their personal characteristics - he is the one trying to discriminate. Whereas the bakery are the ones refusing to be a part of such an act of discrimination.

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    You don't know what the word "discrimination" means.
    Power Word: Discrimination: enables potentially lucrative, nearly always frivolous legal action against people making personal decisions that offend the user.

No relation to the actual word, meaning "the act of choosing between alternatives."

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    But haven't liberals been telling us that no one should discriminate, for any reason? And of course the decoration was the main part of the order.
    You don't know what the word "discrimination" means.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I suspect the difference in this case is that the baker agreed to make the cakes but wouldn't decorate them as requested.
    But haven't liberals been telling us that no one should discriminate, for any reason? And of course the decoration was the main part of the order.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I suspect the difference in this case is that the baker agreed to make the cakes but wouldn't decorate them as requested.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    started a topic Double Standard?

Double Standard?

Why doesn't this surprise me?

Denver's Azucar Bakery wins right to refuse to make anti-gay cakes

DENVER - Colorado's legal battles between religious freedom and gay rights continue to play out in the not-so-sweet arena of bakery cake requests.

Last week, the Colorado Civil Rights Division ruled that Denver's Azucar Bakery did not discriminate against William Jack, a Christian from Castle Rock, by refusing to make two cakes with anti-gay messages and imagery that he requested last year.

The dispute began March 13, 2014 when Jack went to the bakery at 1886 S. Broadway and requested two cakes shaped like bibles. He asked that one cake have the image of two groomsmen holding hands in front of a cross with a red "X" over them. He asked that the cake be decorated with the biblical verses, "God hates sin. Psalm 45:7" and "Homosexuality is a detestable sin. Leviticus 18:2", according to the Civil Rights Divisions' decision.

On the second bible-shaped cake, Jack also requested the image of the two groomsmen with the red "X". He wanted it decorated with the words "God loves sinners" and "While we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Romans 5:8."

He told the civil rights agency he ordered the cakes with the imagery and biblical verses to convey that same-sex marriage is, in his words, "un-biblical and inappropriate."

Marjorie Silva, the owner of the bakery, told Jack that she would make him the bible-shaped cakes, but would not decorate them with the biblical verses and the image of the groomsmen that he requested. Instead, she offered to provide him with icing and a pastry bag so he could write or draw whatever messages he wished on the cakes.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...-anti-gay-cake