Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Watch them turn on each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hamster View Post
    "phobia" doesn't necessarily have to be a fear, just an aversion to something. Like photophobic people aren't scared by light, it just causes them discomfort/pain
    Source: http://content.lib.utah.edu/utils/getfile/collection/ehsl-nam/id/746/filename/747.pdf

The term photophobia is even somewhat of a misnomer. The word comes from two Greek words: photo “light” and phobia “fear or dread of”—hence, “fear of light.”

Photophobia has also been thought to be a psychiatric disorder. In fact, in many neuro-ophthalmic clinics patients present with severe forms of photophobia and photooculodynia where they have virtually retreated from society, living in dark chambers with draperies drawn, wearing multiple pairs of sun-glasses.

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      All words are fabricated.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

People who view homosexuals or transexuals negatively suddenly become etymologists when they get accused of bigotry.
        And people who accuse people who view homosexuals and transsexuals negatively suddenly become clinically trained psychologists who can tell the difference between normal adaptive responses like aversion to unnatural behaviors and an actual clinical "phobia". It makes a mockery of people who actually have an anxiety disorder in the same way that calling someone a "retard" mocks people who actually have a development disorder. But we don't expect consistency from your side, PM...

Clearly, the real issue isn't those words, it's that those words are targeting them.
        No, it's WHY those words are targeting them.

I really didn't have anything to say to Bill's poorly-conceived, hysteric reply except to poke fun at him.
        It's a proper response, just like I cited on "photophobic". Psychologists and medical doctors realize the phrase is a misnomer, although some of the more extreme cases DO in fact rise to the level of fear, as cited above. you have no reply. The term is nothing better than calling us bigots. And the usage is simply to shut us up. It's pathetic.
        That's what
        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          In light of this, can we call people who view Christians negatively "Christianophobes"?
          You have my blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            And people who accuse people who view homosexuals and transsexuals negatively suddenly become clinically trained psychologists who can tell the difference between normal adaptive responses like aversion to unnatural behaviors and an actual clinical "phobia". It makes a mockery of people who actually have an anxiety disorder in the same way that calling someone a "retard" mocks people who actually have a development disorder. But we don't expect consistency from your side, PM...
            That's not what they're doing though. Homophobia isn't an actual phobia.

No, it's WHY those words are targeting them.
            Because the people using those words see a denial of equal rights?

It's a proper response, just like I cited on "photophobic". Psychologists and medical doctors realize the phrase is a misnomer, although some of the more extreme cases DO in fact rise to the level of fear, as cited above. you have no reply. The term is nothing better than calling us bigots. And the usage is simply to shut us up. It's pathetic.
            Why is calling someone a bigot pathetic? It just seems like a plain old label to me. If someone says black people are inferior to white people, they are a racist. So what's wrong with calling them that?

Comment

That's not what they're doing though. Homophobia isn't an actual phobia.
              BINGO!!! It's a club to shut people up. Plain and simple.

Because the people using those words see a denial of equal rights?
              No, it's because they want to shut their opponents up with shaming words. They want compliance.

Why is calling someone a bigot pathetic?
              Because it is a word intended to shut down the conversation and shame the person into silent obeisance.

It just seems like a plain old label to me.
              Because you are a bigot against Conservative values. See how that was used? To try to shut the conversation down by belittling you. It's a pathetic ploy by someone who really has no argument.

If someone says black people are inferior to white people, they are a racist. So what's wrong with calling them that?
              There is no misnomer in the term racist. It isn't "racephobia". But it too is most often a bludgeon used to shut the racist up. How about actually having an argument...
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

BINGO!!! It's a club to shut people up. Plain and simple.

No, it's because they want to shut their opponents up with shaming words. They want compliance.

Because it is a word intended to shut down the conversation and shame the person into silent obeisance.

Because you are a bigot against Conservative values. See how that was used? To try to shut the conversation down by belittling you. It's a pathetic ploy by someone who really has no argument.

There is no misnomer in the term racist. It isn't "racephobia". But it too is most often a bludgeon used to shut the racist up. How about actually having an argument...
                So let me get this straight. I don't want to misinterpret you or put words in your mouth. You don't think people should apply negative labels to anyone because the purpose of those labels is to shut down conversation instead of make an argument? Therefore, nobody should call anyone else a racist, sexist or bigot? What about evil, bad, wrong, or stupid?

Comment

I suggest you learn basic linguistics so you can understand that words don't have to have the same meaning as their combined roots, unless you speak French.
                  I apologize for knowing the meaning of the word phobia.
                  "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                  "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                  Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

So let me get this straight. I don't want to misinterpret you or put words in your mouth. You don't think people should apply negative labels to anyone because the purpose of those labels is to shut down conversation instead of make an argument? Therefore, nobody should call anyone else a racist, sexist or bigot? What about evil, bad, wrong, or stupid?
                    Adults who use the word racist, sexist, or bigot when they really mean evilman, badman, wrongman, stupidman, offensiveman, blasphemousman, hereticalman, disrespectfulman, hard-to-understand-man or Other-man are generally very low-achieving, incapable people and using their made-up words just encourages them in their destruction of self and others, yes. The first people who deserve Othering are the ones who casually promote misunderstanding and mendacity in speech for their own benefit. Perhaps you've also heard of what happens to society when counterfeit money goes into circulation?

Comment

So let me get this straight. I don't want to misinterpret you or put words in your mouth. You don't think people should apply negative labels to anyone because the purpose of those labels is to shut down conversation instead of make an argument?
                      When the intent is to shut down an otherwise necessary or potentially productive conversation, no it shouldn't.

Therefore, nobody should call anyone else a racist, sexist or bigot?
                      Again, depends on the context.

What about evil, bad, wrong, or stupid?
                      Context again.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I prefer "heterosexist" or simply "sexist" to describe what is intended by "homophobe" without allowing the etymology derailment.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                          I prefer "heterosexist" or simply "sexist" to describe what is intended by "homophobe" without allowing the etymology derailment.
                          How about just calling it a different opinion?
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I prefer "normal" since confusion, disgust, and avoidance is the default reaction among a majority of those first experiencing homosexual individuals, and most homophiliac attitudes have to be heavily threatened browbeaten sodomized socialized into people.

Comment

When the intent is to shut down an otherwise necessary or potentially productive conversation, no it shouldn't.

Again, depends on the context.

Context again.
                              Got it.

Comment

Try again. Sexist already has a use and we girls aren't finished with it yet.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment