Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Weird legal case: Barack Obama on Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird legal case: Barack Obama on Twitter

Here's a very strange legal case that I thought I'd run past some of you:

A New York woman was held in a psych ward involuntarily for claiming that Barack Obama follows her on Twitter. She was told she could go if she simply retracted the claim, but she didn't.

As it turns out, she IS followed by the account @BarackObama... but that account is run by some of his campaign people and not actually by Obama himself, so it may not be strictly accurate to say the president does follow her.

Of course, she is suing for the $13K she is being charged for the psych hold.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...kind-of-right/
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Here's a very strange legal case that I thought I'd run past some of you:

A New York woman was held in a psych ward involuntarily for claiming that Barack Obama follows her on Twitter. She was told she could go if she simply retracted the claim, but she didn't.

As it turns out, she IS followed by the account @BarackObama... but that account is run by some of his campaign people and not actually by Obama himself, so it may not be strictly accurate to say the president does follow her.

Of course, she is suing for the $13K she is being charged for the psych hold.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...kind-of-right/
    I didn't know you could be held in a psych ward for that...
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      I didn't know you could be held in a psych ward for that...
      They just thought she was obviously delusional. There was a context to her saying that: She was already in a police station being suspected of marijuana use, and she mentioned it as a (strange) attempt to vouch for her own character.

I'd say it was a bad hold; even if her statement wasn't technically true, I think it's reasonable to think she believed she was telling the truth.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'd like to think that there's more reasoning behind the hold. But, if there isn't? Sounds like she's got a large check coming her way. Oh well, guess that why doctors pay for malpractice insurance.
        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
          I'd like to think that there's more reasoning behind the hold. But, if there isn't? Sounds like she's got a large check coming her way. Oh well, guess that why doctors pay for malpractice insurance.
          Based on the article it does seem she seemed a little... off.

Comment

They just thought she was obviously delusional. There was a context to her saying that: She was already in a police station being suspected of marijuana use, and she mentioned it as a (strange) attempt to vouch for her own character.

I'd say it was a bad hold; even if her statement wasn't technically true, I think it's reasonable to think she believed she was telling the truth.
            I understand that. It just seems...excessive to me. With the amount of truly mentally ill out on the streets, this seems like nothing really. I agree with Myth, there has to be more to it. If there isn't, yeah, she is going to win.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Um, wait, don't most psych hold laws require 'danger to self or others'?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Agree with you Teallaura

Comment

Wow, they would put most of tweb on psych hold using something that weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Wow, they would put most of tweb on psych hold using something that weak.
                    How about the entire human species?
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      How about the entire human species?
                      Barak Obama follows the twitter feeds of all humanity?

Comment

Barak Obama follows the twitter feeds of all humanity?
                        That all humans are a bit crazy.
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          That all humans are a bit crazy.
                          I'm not.

Comment

I'm not.
                            Says an owner of TWeb.

Comment

Based on the article it does seem she seemed a little... off.
                              Being a little... off should not be grounds to put someone into a psych ward against their will or else most of the TWeb membership would be packing a toothbrush for an extended stay.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment