Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

UVA 'Jackie' Story: Police Say They Can't Confirm Gang Rape Described in R.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVA 'Jackie' Story: Police Say They Can't Confirm Gang Rape Described in R.S.

Source: NBC News

Police said Monday that they could not substantiate the claim of a gang rape at a fraternity house made by a University of Virginia student in an explosive Rolling Stone story last fall.

"We have no basis to conclude that anything happened at that fraternity house," Chief Timothy Longo of the Charlottesville police told reporters.

He said that the student, identified in the article as Jackie, refused to give a statement or answer questions when she met with police in December, two weeks after the article was published.

In the article, "A Rape on Campus," Jackie described being attacked by seven men in a dark room at a Phi Kappa Psi fraternity party when she was a freshman, in September 2012. She said some of her friends urged her not to report the crime.

Rolling Stone backed away from the story, and ultimately apologized for it, after major elements were disputed by The Washington Post and other news outlets. The magazine said that it had never contacted the man who was alleged to have orchestrated the sexual assault.

Longo said that police found no evidence that any party took place at Phi Kappa Psi on the night in question.

He stressed that the conclusion did not mean that "something terrible didn't happen to Jackie," only that police could not corroborate it. He characterized the investigation as suspended, not closed.

"I'm not in a position where I can say, based on all the evidence that we've developed, that something terrible didn't happen to that young lady that night," he said. "All I can tell you is there's no substantive basis to conclude that what is described in that article happened that night."

Palma Pustilnik, a legal aid lawyer who has spoken for Jackie, declined comment.

The police chief also said that he hoped there would be no "chilling effect" discouraging women from coming forward to report sexual assault.

After the article appeared, the university suspended all fraternity activities for two months. The university reinstated Phi Kappa Psi in January and said that police had yet to find corroboration for the account.

"We look forward to working with all fraternities and sororities in enhancing and promoting a safe environment for all," the university president, Teresa A. Sullivan, said at the time.

The Columbia University graduate school of journalism is conducting a review on behalf of the magazine. The managing editor said over the weekend that Rolling Stone would publish the results.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm shocked. SCHOCKED I tell you.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Jesse, what in the article shocked you?
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
      (pssst.. imagine sarcasm tags around Jesse's comment)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        Oops. I am sorry about that, Truthseeker. That was sarcasm on my part.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

That reminds me of the 2006 Duke lacrosse case.
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment