Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ravi Zacharias on Josef Stalin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ravi Zacharias on Josef Stalin

On one occasion, so it was narrated, Stalin called for a live chicken and proceeded to use it to make an unforgettable point before some of his henchmen.

Forcefully clutching the chicken in one hand, with the other he began to systematically pluck out its feathers. As the chicken struggled in vain to escape, he continued with the painful denuding until the bird was completely stripped.

“Now you watch,” Stalin said as he placed the chicken on the floor and walked away with some bread crumbs in his hand. Incredibly, the fear-crazed chicken hobbled toward him and clung to the legs of his trousers.

Stalin threw a handful of grain to the bird, and it began to follow him around the room, he turned to his dumbfounded colleagues and said quietly, “This is the way to rule the people. Did you see how that chicken followed me for food, even though I had caused it such torture? People are like that chicken. If you inflict inordinate pain on them they will follow you for food the rest of their lives.”
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    On one occasion, so it was narrated, Stalin called for a live chicken and proceeded to use it to make an unforgettable point before some of his henchmen.

Forcefully clutching the chicken in one hand, with the other he began to systematically pluck out its feathers. As the chicken struggled in vain to escape, he continued with the painful denuding until the bird was completely stripped.

“Now you watch,” Stalin said as he placed the chicken on the floor and walked away with some bread crumbs in his hand. Incredibly, the fear-crazed chicken hobbled toward him and clung to the legs of his trousers.

Stalin threw a handful of grain to the bird, and it began to follow him around the room, he turned to his dumbfounded colleagues and said quietly, “This is the way to rule the people. Did you see how that chicken followed me for food, even though I had caused it such torture? People are like that chicken. If you inflict inordinate pain on them they will follow you for food the rest of their lives.”
    Kind of like people on the dole always voting for liberals...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yup, "teach a man to fish, and he can eat for life - otherwise, he ends up being a Democrat".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Source: Urban Dictionary on the entry on crock

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat forever." Unless of course, the man gets tired of eating fish, because no human can eat the same thing for their entire life without getting pissed off at it. And unless, the fish is poisoned, not cleaned properly before eaten, etc. Definitely a crock.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Democrats get hurt and still vote D because they're fed. Republicans get hurt and still vote R because ...

The truth is people vote for leaders who hurt them because democracies favor politicians who have wide appeal, so everyone ends up settling. But that doesn't fit the sectarian narrative people like to take away from these stories.
            Last edited by Psychic Missile; 03-23-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
              Republicans get hurt ...
              Example?
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Example?
                "Less government" becomes "more government".

Comment

"Less government" becomes "more government".
                  Example, not buzz words please
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Example?
                    http://thehayride.com/2013/06/on-twi...ration-debate/

(possible language warning)
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The story is likely apocryphal although still instructive. Several versions of it have circulated over the years including this
                      When Josef Stalin was on his deathbed he called in two likely
                      successors, to test which one of the two had a better knack for ruling
                      the country.

He ordered two birds to be brought in and presented one bird to each
                      of the two candidates.

The first one grabbed the bird, but was so afraid that the bird could
                      free himself from his grip and fly away that he squeezed his hand very
                      hard, and when he opened his palm, the bird was dead.

Seeing the disapproving look on Stalin's face and being afraid to
                      repeat his rival's mistake, the second candidate loosened his grip so
                      much that the bird freed himself and flew away.

Stalin looked at both of them scornfully. "Bring me a bird!" he ordered.

They did.

Stalin took the bird by its legs and slowly, one by one, he plucked
                      all the feathers from the bird's little body.

Then he opened his palm. The bird was laying there naked, shivering,
                      helpless.

Stalin looked at him, smiled gently and said, "You see... and he is
                      even thankful for the human warmth coming out of my palm."

This one is obviously false in that he died rather suddenly.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Example, not buzz words please
                        The GWB presidency.

Comment

The GWB presidency.
                          As I said, example, not buzz words.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment