Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama's Antagonism toward Netanyahu - HAS to be true - it's in the NYT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Would this be the same Congress that has done everything in its power to block the freely elected president from governing, including inviting a foreign leader to address it on an issue that directly undermined the administration’s policies in Iran? Not to mention the renegade Republican senators who penned a letter to Iran in an attempt to directly sabotage Obama efforts. Not to mention the scores of attempts to block, or successfully block, bills since Obama became President.
    Yes how dare a freely elected congress, say or do something that Tazzy Wazzy disapproves of. I know you really think Obama can do whatever he wants, but have you not read the US Constitution? My guess is... no... correct?
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-21-2015, 08:44 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
      Would this be the same President who has been repeatedly criticised by many for ignoring Congress and the constitution when it suited him to?
      Tazzy Wazzy doesn't like what congress says, so he thinks the president can ignore the constitutionally granted powers of congress and make treaties on his own. IE:

[The President] shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.
      Article II, Section II; US Constitution

Obama doesn't need to follow that pesky Constitution and seek consent of the Senate to make treaties with foreign governments.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        Their traitorous letter to Iran's leadership, saying that the United States, being a democracy, can't be trusted to keep its word in international negotiations and therefore Iran shouldn't make any form of peace treaty with the US, doesn't seem to have worked. So now Boehner is going to go visit his glorious leader Netanyahu during the period that the negotiations with Iran are expected to be finalized.
        Sorry, but Article II, Section II, of the US Constitution specifically says that Obama has no right to enter into a treaty, without US senate approval. Do yourself a favor... stop talking about things you know nothing about. Obama has no right to enter into any treaty, without US senate approval and he is suppose to seek the advice of the senate as well (again it is in the US Constitution). I guess you think Obama can make his own rules and doesn't need to listen to what that silly US Constitution says he has to do? So, has the US Senate been properly advised on any treaty with Iran and has the Obama Administration seeked any advice or approval, of the US Senate, on any peace talks or treaty with Iran? Yes or no?
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-21-2015, 08:51 AM.
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Sorry, but Article II, Section II, of the US Constitution specifically says that Obama has no right to enter into a treaty, without US senate approval. Do yourself a favor... stop talking about things you know nothing about. Obama has no right to enter into any treaty, without US senate approval and he is suppose to seek the advice of the senate as well (again it is in the US Constitution). I guess you think Obama can make his own rules and doesn't need to listen to what that silly US Constitution says he has to do? So, has the US Senate been properly advised on any treaty with Iran and has the Obama Administration seeked any advice or approval, of the US Senate, on any peace talks or treaty with Iran? Yes or no?
          Are you old enough to remember SALT?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            I'm assuming you're not taking about the movie or mineral, but if it is about republicans trying to bypass the Senate, it is no more right when republicans attempt it than it is when democrats attempt it.

Edited to add: Found it. I was -5, when Regan was elected president so yeah... just a little before my time.
            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-21-2015, 09:14 AM.
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yeah, I remember when they told us to be sure to use salt to prevent goiter.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Yeah, I remember when they told us to be sure to use salt to prevent goiter.

So do you also remember when salt was invented?

GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So do you also remember when salt was invented?

Rouge and I weren't there when it was invented, but we helped mine the first batch.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    The context of this discussion is Iran and nuclear power, NOT the many enemies of Israel who want "ALL JEWS DEAD". And the spectacle of the President of the United States being deliberately undermined by his own Congress and the partisan antics of the Jewish warrior leader has been shameful.
                    But he has a cell phone and a pen!

Comment

I'm assuming you're not taking about the movie or mineral, but if it is about republicans trying to bypass the Senate, it is no more right when republicans attempt it than it is when democrats attempt it.
                      SALT I and II, the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks — along with START I and II, the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaties, were nuclear arms limitation agreements between the US and the then-USSR. SALT I led to the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, and START I to the treaty of the same name. Neither SALT II nor START II were ever ratified.

These agreements ran the gamut of administrations from Nixon to Bush the Lesser and like all such agreements, were signed before being submitted to the congress for ratification. While there was a great deal of disagreement and distrust of the Soviets reflected in the Congress, I can't remember any suggestion that the executive branch was constitutionally barred from entering into them at all, or any suggestion the administration could not follow the agreements despite a lack of ratification.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                        Would this be the same President who has been repeatedly criticised by many for ignoring Congress and the constitution when it suited him to?
                        The leftist fringe thinks congress should cooperate with Obama, NOT the other way around. THAT is what real "bipartisanship" is.

Comment

Edited to add: Found it. I was -5, when Regan was elected president so yeah... just a little before my time.
                          And I bet you were a cutie even then.

Comment

And I bet you were a cutie even then.
                            Even you and I were cuties when we were little.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Even you and I were cuties when we were little.
                              And back then, I still had perfect hair, only maybe a bit more of it.

Comment

And back then, I still had perfect hair, only maybe a bit more of it.

And Saturday morning was all about cartoons and westerns. Out of the blue of the western sky comes.....

Comment