Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California Supreme Court Fixes Injustice - 125 Years Late

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • California Supreme Court Fixes Injustice - 125 Years Late

    Now, I don't have an issue with the reversal as long as the didn't waste a lot of time on it. I think living people take priority over dead ones. But seriously, it was already reversed. I'm glad for the family but what legally did it accomplish? I dunno, it was a stupid ruling to begin with, how much more court time should it get?

    http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/630976

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  • #2
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Now, I don't have an issue with the reversal as long as the didn't waste a lot of time on it. I think living people take priority over dead ones. But seriously, it was already reversed. I'm glad for the family but what legally did it accomplish? I dunno, it was a stupid ruling to begin with, how much more court time should it get?

    http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/630976
    Of course such a judgement should be overturned regardless of the time "wasted" on it. ALL injustices should be righted if only to formally recognize the error to the present generation, remove the stigma and educate people about the harm caused by ignorance and bigotry.

    Thus it was appropriate for the Pope to acknowledge that the Church had erred in condemning Galileo 359 years earlier for asserting that the Earth revolved around the Sun.

    And it was appropriate for the Southern Baptist Convention to apologize (only as recently as the 1990’s) to the blacks for supporting slavery and racism during most of its history.

    And for Alan Turing, the Second World War Enigma code breaker who took his own life after undergoing enforced chemical castration following a conviction for homosexuality, to be granted a posthumous royal pardon 59 years after his death.

    Such egregious errors should not have been made in the first place and the very least society can do is publicly acknowledge this fact in the hope that it will profit by it. .
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

    Comment


    • #3
      The article says this case is commonly studied among law students, so it's still fairly prominently known. It looks really bad if these students are all coming across the case and realizing there was never acknowledgment of wrong done.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        remove the stigma
        There's no stigma against chinese people. Unless they try to play basketball or something, but I don't think that has anything to do with this case.

        and educate people about the harm caused by ignorance and bigotry.
        The guy was trying to become a lawyer. Seems that ignorance and bigotry saved his soul from eternal hellfire in this case.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

        There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          There's no stigma against chinese people. Unless they try to play basketball or something
          7' 6" tall Yao Ming -- selected to start for the Western Conference in the NBA All-Star Game eight times, and was named to the All-NBA Team five times -- wants to speak to you outside



          Now if you woulda said Japanese or Filipinos...

          I'm always still in trouble again

          "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            7' 6" tall Yao Ming -- selected to start for the Western Conference in the NBA All-Star Game eight times, and was named to the All-NBA Team five times -- wants to speak to you outside



            Now if you woulda said Japanese or Filipinos...
            Yao Ming is a freak. Anyone over 7 feet tall is a freak. They are on a completely different scale from mere mortals.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

            There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              Of course such a judgement should be overturned regardless of the time "wasted" on it. ALL injustices should be righted if only to formally recognize the error to the present generation, remove the stigma and educate people about the harm caused by ignorance and bigotry.
              What a load of touchy feely nonsense. Awarding a dead man a law license is a complete waste of time and money. Just eliminate the decision from the books. No need to actually award the license at this point. It's frivolous.

              Thus it was appropriate for the Pope to acknowledge that the Church had erred in condemning Galileo 359 years earlier for asserting that the Earth revolved around the Sun.
              Since the Catholic Church relies on Papal infallibility, I think this one is in a different category than the others.

              And it was appropriate for the Southern Baptist Convention to apologize (only as recently as the 1990’s) to the blacks for supporting slavery and racism during most of its history.
              No it wasn't. And I don't see the NAACP apologizing for blacks owning slaves in the sugar cane fields of New Orleans, nor do I see your ilk clamoring for such an apology

              And for Alan Turing, the Second World War Enigma code breaker who took his own life after undergoing enforced chemical castration following a conviction for homosexuality, to be granted a posthumous royal pardon 59 years after his death.
              Waste of time and money. He was dead. Nothing was actually gained by either side besides their feels being stroked.

              Such egregious errors should not have been made in the first place and the very least society can do is publicly acknowledge this fact in the hope that it will profit by it. .
              But there need not be such pomp and circumstance around "formal apologies" and crap like that. The best way to fix an error that can't be fixed with the person themselves is to simply not do it again. Anything more is nothing but a show.
              That's what
              - She

              Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

              I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              Stephen R. Donaldson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                7' 6" tall Yao Ming -- selected to start for the Western Conference in the NBA All-Star Game eight times, and was named to the All-NBA Team five times -- wants to speak to you outside
                When he played for the Houston Rockets, we would have a "Learn How with Yao" moment during the game, where he would teach the crowd a word or two in Chinese.

                I wasn't attending basketball games to learn a foreign language.
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  The article says this case is commonly studied among law students, so it's still fairly prominently known. It looks really bad if these students are all coming across the case and realizing there was never acknowledgment of wrong done.
                  Yes, I agree completely. This is the point of the examples I gave above, namely the formal recognition of errors committed.

                  Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post



                  But there need not be such pomp and circumstance around "formal apologies" and crap like that. The best way to fix an error that can't be fixed with the person themselves is to simply not do it again. Anything more is nothing but a show.
                  There need not be "pomp and circumstance" around the official recognition of valour in battle either, with medal ceremonies etc or state funerals for great public figures. Or the various awards ceremonies - from the Oscars to the Nobel Prizes palaver etc - but they serve a purpose in recognizing achievement just as formal apologies recognize and acknowledge mistakes made.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    There need not be "pomp and circumstance" around the official recognition of valour in battle either, with medal ceremonies etc or state funerals for great public figures.
                    I disagree. Rewarding someone for valor in battle in a public manner is most fitting. Praises about great battle heroes are as old as the human race and gives others a brave standard to strive for.

                    Or the various awards ceremonies - from the Oscars
                    Those on the other hand are nothing but dog and pony shows with no redeeming value.

                    to the Nobel Prizes palaver etc
                    While a nice thing for the recipient, they don't serve any real purpose outside of a small group wanting to give an award to one of their own. Yay...

                    - but they serve a purpose in recognizing achievement
                    Which is fine and dandy, but still just as unnecessary.

                    just as formal apologies recognize and acknowledge mistakes made.
                    Mistakes made BY OTHERS against others, like in this case. It's nothing more than continued offense by proxy. And again, I see no effort made by the "reverend" Jesse Jackson to apologize to white slaves in the sugar cane fields who were owned by free blacks.

                    article-2107458-11F33AE3000005DC-938_470x761.jpg
                    That's what
                    - She

                    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    Stephen R. Donaldson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      When he played for the Houston Rockets, we would have a "Learn How with Yao" moment during the game, where he would teach the crowd a word or two in Chinese.

                      I wasn't attending basketball games to learn a foreign language.
                      Yeah who needs it? The secret to speaking a foreign language is to speak slowly and repeat yourself over and over. Then if that doesn't work, start yelling at them and waving your arms and hands around in a fake sign language. That usually does the trick

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Yeah who needs it? The secret to speaking a foreign language is to speak slowly and repeat yourself over and over. Then if that doesn't work, start yelling at them and waving your arms and hands around in a fake sign language. That usually does the trick
                        Spanish is especially easy. Just add the occasional "El" in front of the English word and tack on an "o" to the end of the words.

                        I'm always still in trouble again

                        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                        Comment

                        Related Threads

                        Collapse

                        Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seer, Today, 06:05 AM
                        0 responses
                        5 views
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seer
                        by seer
                         
                        Started by Maranatha, Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                        16 responses
                        101 views
                        1 like
                        Last Post Starlight  
                        Started by rogue06, Yesterday, 03:56 PM
                        3 responses
                        31 views
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Ronson
                        by Ronson
                         
                        Started by seer, Yesterday, 11:32 AM
                        13 responses
                        80 views
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seanD
                        by seanD
                         
                        Started by rogue06, Yesterday, 09:11 AM
                        1 response
                        32 views
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Sparko
                        by Sparko
                         
                        Working...
                        X