Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Netanyahu Likud party storms to victory

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Netanyahu Likud party storms to victory

    So says the headlines of the Deccan Herald...

    Source: DH

    Israel election: Netanyahu Likud party storms to victory

    Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu today appeared headed for a record fourth term after his Likud party emerged as the surprise winner in Israel's general elections based on a campaign revolving around no compromise attitude on Palestine's statehood.

    With nearly all votes counted, Netanyahu's party is set to emerge as the single largest party with 29 seats in the 120-member Parliament -- the Knesset -- five seats more than the closest rival the Zionist Union led by Isaac Herzog in a mandate considered a clear victory in the fractured Israeli polity.

    The party registered victory on a campaign revolving around strong security for the Jewish state focused on denying Iran nuclear capability and a non-compromising attitude in the peace process with the Palestinians.

    It was a stunning turnabout from the last pre-election polls published on Friday, which showed the Zionist Union with a four or five seat lead.

    © Copyright Original Source



    This is a bit surprising, as I have been hearing "razor thin" and "too close to call", and forecasts of doom for Netanyahu.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  • #2
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

    This is a bit surprising, as I have been hearing "razor thin" and "too close to call", and forecasts of doom for Netanyahu.
    Many liberals didn't want him to win.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      Many liberals didn't want him to win.
      That's part of what got me to thinking about this - maybe the "gloom and doom" was part of the "we can't have another term of this guy" mindset.

      I don't think it's any secret that Obama can't stand the guy.
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • #4
        That's what
        - She

        Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

        I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        Stephen R. Donaldson

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

          I don't think it's any secret that Obama can't stand the guy.
          Which makes this election win all the more sweeter.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
            Which makes this election win all the more sweeter.
            Netanyahu - like him or not - carries himself like a world leader. Our president carries himself like a late night talk show host.
            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

            Comment


            • #7
              Netanyahu's last-minute gains can probably be attributed to his last-minute turn towards apartheid and racism, where he officially rejected the two-state solution and warned about Arab voters being "bussed in." Likud's gains, given that the Zionist-Union got its expected 24 seats, came from voters on the hard-right factions crossing over to Likud.

              The official time-of-death of the two-state solution, increased Israeli settlements in Palestinian land, and heightened racial tensions in Israel itself are not things to celebrate.
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Netanyahu's last-minute gains can probably be attributed to his last-minute turn towards apartheid and racism, where he officially rejected the two-state solution and warned about Arab voters being "bussed in." Likud's gains, given that the Zionist-Union got its expected 24 seats, came from voters on the hard-right factions crossing over to Likud.

                The official time-of-death of the two-state solution, increased Israeli settlements in Palestinian land, and heightened racial tensions in Israel itself are not things to celebrate.
                A "two state solution" was dead out of the starting gate. So it's "time of death" was a LONG time ago. It has been, and will remain a situation where Israel has to defend itself from it's neighbors because they want Israel wiped off the map. They don't want a little bit of territory, or peace. They want to destroy anything remotely Jewish/Israeli, and they want to destroy all but Islam. I think it's kind of hard to heighten racial tensions from the state it was already in. I also think that only a collapse of Islam will do anything to lessen the tension currently there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Netanyahu's last-minute gains can probably be attributed to his last-minute turn towards apartheid and racism...
                  WOW!!! Apartheid and racism! One side is hellbent on the DESTRUCTION of Israel, vowing to "wipe it off the face of the earth" or "push it into the sea", and you play the racism card!

                  If you were here, I would whack you in your left knee with a nurf bat!

                  PLEASE tell me you just forgot to use sarcasm tags!
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Netanyahu's last-minute gains can probably be attributed to his last-minute turn towards apartheid and racism, where he officially rejected the two-state solution and warned about Arab voters being "bussed in." Likud's gains, given that the Zionist-Union got its expected 24 seats, came from voters on the hard-right factions crossing over to Likud.

                    The official time-of-death of the two-state solution, increased Israeli settlements in Palestinian land, and heightened racial tensions in Israel itself are not things to celebrate.
                    So, the "other side" wants ALL Jews dead. What, in your mind, would be a good compromise, Sam? 75% of Jews dead? 50%? 25%?
                    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      A "two state solution" was dead out of the starting gate. So it's "time of death" was a LONG time ago. It has been, and will remain a situation where Israel has to defend itself from it's neighbors because they want Israel wiped off the map. They don't want a little bit of territory, or peace. They want to destroy anything remotely Jewish/Israeli, and they want to destroy all but Islam. I think it's kind of hard to heighten racial tensions from the state it was already in. I also think that only a collapse of Islam will do anything to lessen the tension currently there.
                      Yup. That's the wing-nuttery that saved Bibi's job.

                      If all the neighboring states wanted to really "wipe Israel off the map," they could've easily done it by now. Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia ... no real push there since the Six Day War and no indication that any of them today would even want to try to mount the air and ground offensive necessary to defeat, let alone obliterate, Israel.

                      And while a hearty portion of folks in Israel and the USA imagine existential threats to the Israeli state, the open-air prison camp that is Gaza will continue indefinitely.

                      On the plus side, officially abandoning the two-state solution puts Netanyahu in a poor position with the international community. Netanyahu and his like will only continue to degrade support for an illegal and unacceptable status quo.
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One only needs to look at Europe (or the US for that matter) to see how much social unrest the presence of a small number of muslim causes. Sam's kumbayah visions of the future are a downright denial of human nature.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                        There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Yup. That's the wing-nuttery that saved Bibi's job.

                          If all the neighboring states wanted to really "wipe Israel off the map," they could've easily done it by now. Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia ... no real push there since the Six Day War and no indication that any of them today would even want to try to mount the air and ground offensive necessary to defeat, let alone obliterate, Israel.

                          And while a hearty portion of folks in Israel and the USA imagine existential threats to the Israeli state, the open-air prison camp that is Gaza will continue indefinitely.

                          On the plus side, officially abandoning the two-state solution puts Netanyahu in a poor position with the international community. Netanyahu and his like will only continue to degrade support for an illegal and unacceptable status quo.
                          Have you ever actually BEEN to Israel, Sam?
                          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Have you ever actually BEEN to Israel, Sam?
                            I have close friends who were there at the start of the Second Intifada. That count?
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              If all the neighboring states wanted to really "wipe Israel off the map," they could've easily done it by now. Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia ... no real push there since the Six Day War and no indication that any of them today would even want to try to mount the air and ground offensive necessary to defeat, let alone obliterate, Israel.
                              Israel has nuclear weapons and a kick-butt military. The Arab nations around them know it. Nuclear deterrence keeps them at bay.
                              That's what
                              - She

                              Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                              I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              Stephen R. Donaldson

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rogue06, Yesterday, 09:13 AM
                              13 responses
                              102 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post mossrose  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, 11-29-2020, 09:32 AM
                              27 responses
                              178 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Electric Skeptic  
                              Started by mossrose, 11-28-2020, 03:05 PM
                              26 responses
                              279 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Juvenal
                              by Juvenal
                               
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, 11-28-2020, 01:53 PM
                              26 responses
                              136 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Starlight, 11-27-2020, 11:51 PM
                              4 responses
                              45 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Working...
                              X