Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jazz Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
    Gender identity and sexuality as separate things. Your statement makes as much sense as pointing at any child actor--noting that they have a gender--and asking why people are profiting off of that child's sexuality. It comes off as a little creepy for you to be asking the question.
    I honestly admit I haven't done all the requisite academic reading on the subject but I don't intuitively see a reason to draw a strict dichotomy between the two concepts (if they are two entirely separate subjects). There seems to be a clear interconnectedness. Per the Wikipedia article, the issue of who Jazz is interested in and how this directly relates to gender identity has come up:

n 2012, she discussed her sexual orientation with Barbara Walters during her 20/20 interview, saying she is attracted to boys and that she was a bit worried about dating because of her transgender identity.[3] In a Q&A video posted to her Youtube Channel in July 2014, Jennings stated that she is pansexual and that she loves people "for their personality" and that she doesn't care if they're "bi, gay, trans, whatever they are"
    Thus, it seems a lot more relevant than your example of noting that any child celebrity (children shouldn't be celebrities IMO but that's a different issue altogether) has a gender.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
    Gender identity and sexuality as separate things. Your statement makes as much sense as pointing at any child actor--noting that they have a gender--and asking why people are profiting off of that child's sexuality. It comes off as a little creepy for you to be asking the question.
    Really? You don't see how the primary focus of the show is the rarity/oddity of the associated gender identity. You think its a coincidence that the producers just happened to be featuring a show with a kid who identifies as a gender other than the sex they were born with?

What's creepy is that you can't see the obvious side-show freak exploitation of this teen.

Oh...and sexuality is usually related to one's gender identity. Its not like the two are not in some way associated with one another somehow.

Leave a comment:

• seasanctuary
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Putting the ethics of transgender issues aside for a moment... does anybody else see this as literally profiting off of a child's sexuality? Why do people not see this as wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah and the History channel actually showed history. Now it is fake hunts for giants, or bigfoot and UFOs.
    9189283.jpg

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    When I think of TLC, I think of the hip-hop group. Don't go chasing waterfalls...

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
    It sucks because I remember when I was 9 years old and my dad told me to watch this mini-series on TLC, War and Civilization. Before that I used to love dinosaurs but since then I've been enamored by history.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1084636/
    Yeah and the History channel actually showed history. Now it is fake hunts for giants, or bigfoot and UFOs.

Leave a comment:

• Knowing Thomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    I've taken to calling it The Loser Channel.
    It sucks because I remember when I was 9 years old and my dad told me to watch this mini-series on TLC, War and Civilization. Before that I used to love dinosaurs but since then I've been enamored by history.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1084636/

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    The TLC network has gone down the tubes in the last few years. It's all about catering to the gawker at the freak show type consumer.

They know that people like to gawk at freaks, or train wrecks, or anything outlandish. So their shows are all about two headed girls, midgets, huge families, polygamy, hoarders, overweight people, redneck life, and sexual aberrations.

They are the Barnum and Bailey sideshow act of the 21st century.
    I've taken to calling it The Loser Channel.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    The TLC network has gone down the tubes in the last few years. It's all about catering to the gawker at the freak show type consumer.

They know that people like to gawk at freaks, or train wrecks, or anything outlandish. So their shows are all about two headed girls, midgets, huge families, polygamy, hoarders, overweight people, redneck life, and sexual aberrations.

They are the Barnum and Bailey sideshow act of the 21st century.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Tassman, I don't think you'll find anybody on this site who believes Burpo's stories. And, yes, child beauty pageants are pedophile magnets that should be shut down.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    It is certainly less exploitive than say, child beauty pageants:
    Exploitation is exploitation, Tass. It's all disgusting.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Why do people not see this as wrong?
    Because it advances the progressive agenda, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    Jazz Jennings is a 14 year old transgender activist/celebrity. Born male, Jazz started "transitioning" to female at age six, and has appeared on various TV shows, is doing commercials, and is going to be the focus of an upcoming show on the TLC network.

Putting the ethics of transgender issues aside for a moment... does anybody else see this as literally profiting off of a child's sexuality? Why do people not see this as wrong?
    Jazz Jennings was diagnosed with gender dysphoria. She was treated by the appropriate professionals and has subsequently appeared in public forums talking about the challenges of growing up a transgender child. She appears to be a poised, well balanced individual and her case is not necessarily one of child exploitation. It is certainly less exploitive than say, child beauty pageants:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-2...-in-wa/5554364

OR:

The boy, Alex Malarkey, who supposedly came back from a trip heaven, but who later admitted he fabricated the claim - just one of several children in the “heaven tourism industry”. Colton Burpo is another - there's a movie being made about his fantasies. And that's not exploitative?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/heaven.asp

OR:

Pushy show-biz mothers!

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
    http://adam4d.com/momdad/

I think it would be very telling looking at the parents themselves. I wouldn't be surprised to see these "parents" using their child's problems as a way to get kudos and prestige from their circle of liberal friends. Kinda like "my child is an honor roll student" but way more messed up.

"Oh you have a homosexual son? Well our daughter is transfemale genderqueer demisexual plant-kin."

This is all Ill-informed conjecture. You don't know any of this.

Leave a comment:

• Knowing Thomas
    replied
    http://adam4d.com/momdad/

I think it would be very telling looking at the parents themselves. I wouldn't be surprised to see these "parents" using their child's problems as a way to get kudos and prestige from their circle of liberal friends. Kinda like "my child is an honor roll student" but way more messed up.

"Oh you have a homosexual son? Well our daughter is transfemale genderqueer demisexual plant-kin."

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Another issue that comes to mind... this child has become a celebrity and thus has a lot socially and financially invested in this identity. Sexuality can be fluid in the teenage years, and there's a not-low chance that there might be a change of mind. If this isn't something they really want to do, it seems to seriously shoehorn them into that role at this time.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 03-17-2015, 09:43 PM. Reason: meant to type "identity" instead of "environment"

Leave a comment: