Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jazz Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seasanctuary
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    I'm just cutting through the crap because the main issue is that the kid is being exploited. Precisely what part of him is or what it should be called is relatively immaterial.
    Okay, putting you down as someone who thinks no children should be appearing on televisions because that's "exploiting kids." It's a fine position and all, but not relevant to those of us who want to draw a finer distinction.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
    It's unclear what you're saying "Yes" to, since you cut off the quote in such a way that it's a different question.
    I'm just cutting through the crap because the main issue is that the kid is being exploited. Precisely what part of him is or what it should be called is relatively immaterial.

Leave a comment:

• seasanctuary
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Yes.
    It's unclear what you're saying "Yes" to, since you cut off the quote in such a way that it's a different question.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    So...is Triple Mag "literally profiting off of a child
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    It was in that?
    At the end of the last season.

I've been wanting to see the show, well, if I ever get a chance to finish Avatar: The Last Airbender.
    It was really good in the first season. The second season was dreadful, and the third not a lot better. The last season was mostly good, except for the awful but subtle innuendo between Korra and Asami.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    You are referring to Legend of Korra. I agree that there was no sexual content, but overt innuendo is only marginally less bad.
    It was in that?

I've been wanting to see the show, well, if I ever get a chance to finish Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Leave a comment:

• seasanctuary
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The only reason people are asking who she is interested in is because of her gender identity, though. Even if you insist there's no connection, it seems the media audience sees it.
    Sure, transgender identity is the draw. Conflating that with sexuality is what's incorrect.

Here's a fitting analogy: http://www.triplemagtv.com is a reality show about a mother and her two girls who like to hunt. The draw is their gender mixed with a sport that is traditionally male-oriented in our culture.

So...is Triple Mag "literally profiting off of a child's sexuality"?

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    And I will be fair. If anybody claims there is sexual content in that one anime that had a lesbian crush recently or whatever it was, they are wrong; that is not sexual content. They are objecting to homosexuality which does not require outright sexual content to be portrayed.
    You are referring to Legend of Korra. I agree that there was no sexual content, but overt innuendo is only marginally less bad.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    The point I'm trying to make is that there's a tendency to sexualize media that strays from the usual cis/het portrayals.
    This is just a red herring as the only notable thing about the guy is that since age 6 he has become a poster child for acceptance of transsexuality.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    And I will be fair. If anybody claims there is sexual content in that one anime that had a lesbian crush recently or whatever it was, they are wrong; that is not sexual content. They are objecting to homosexuality which does not require outright sexual content to be portrayed.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    The point I'm trying to make is that there's a tendency to sexualize media that strays from the usual cis/het portrayals.
    You are right to some extend, but like KG said, the only reason people are asking who she is interested in is because of her gender identity.

For example, no one bats an eye at the hetero love story stuff in Frozen, but make any of those pairings same-sex and people would claim there's suddenly "sexual content." Or, in this case, a show about a teen girl who's into--say--competative Lego Mindstorms construction and includes occasional mentions that she has boy crushes would be fine, but if she's a trans girl then suddenly it's "exploiting her sexuality."
    Yeah, there is a double standard towards these shows...

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Sure, boys are more likely to be interested in girls and girls are more likely intested in boys, but that holds true of any kids on TV. If it's "exploitive" (as Teallaura puts it) to portray a trans girl because she's interested in boys in the way typical of her age group, then it would be exploitive to show any young teens.

The point I'm trying to make is that there's a tendency to sexualize media that strays from the usual cis/het portrayals. For example, no one bats an eye at the hetero love story stuff in Frozen, but make any of those pairings same-sex and people would claim there's suddenly "sexual content." Or, in this case, a show about a teen girl who's into--say--competative Lego Mindstorms construction and includes occasional mentions that she has boy crushes would be fine, but if she's a trans girl then suddenly it's "exploiting her sexuality."
    The only reason people are asking who she is interested in is because of her gender identity, though. Even if you insist there's no connection, it seems the media audience sees it.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Did you miss the part where this started when the kid was six? Haven't seen it yet but I'm pretty sure Elsa and Anna are a bit older than that.

Leave a comment:

• seasanctuary
    replied
    Sure, boys are more likely to be interested in girls and girls are more likely intested in boys, but that holds true of any kids on TV. If it's "exploitive" (as Teallaura puts it) to portray a trans girl because she's interested in boys in the way typical of her age group, then it would be exploitive to show any young teens.

The point I'm trying to make is that there's a tendency to sexualize media that strays from the usual cis/het portrayals. For example, no one bats an eye at the hetero love story stuff in Frozen, but make any of those pairings same-sex and people would claim there's suddenly "sexual content." Or, in this case, a show about a teen girl who's into--say--competative Lego Mindstorms construction and includes occasional mentions that she has boy crushes would be fine, but if she's a trans girl then suddenly it's "exploiting her sexuality."

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Gender identity and sexuality as separate things. Your statement makes as much sense as pointing at any child actor--noting that they have a gender--and asking why people are profiting off of that child's sexuality. It comes off as a little creepy for you to be asking the question.
    How does changing sexuality to gender identity make it any the less exploitive?

Leave a comment: