Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jazz Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah and the History channel actually showed history. Now it is fake hunts for giants, or bigfoot and UFOs.
    9189283.jpg
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Putting the ethics of transgender issues aside for a moment... does anybody else see this as literally profiting off of a child's sexuality? Why do people not see this as wrong?
      Gender identity and sexuality as separate things. Your statement makes as much sense as pointing at any child actor--noting that they have a gender--and asking why people are profiting off of that child's sexuality. It comes off as a little creepy for you to be asking the question.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
        Gender identity and sexuality as separate things. Your statement makes as much sense as pointing at any child actor--noting that they have a gender--and asking why people are profiting off of that child's sexuality. It comes off as a little creepy for you to be asking the question.
        Really? You don't see how the primary focus of the show is the rarity/oddity of the associated gender identity. You think its a coincidence that the producers just happened to be featuring a show with a kid who identifies as a gender other than the sex they were born with?

What's creepy is that you can't see the obvious side-show freak exploitation of this teen.

Oh...and sexuality is usually related to one's gender identity. Its not like the two are not in some way associated with one another somehow.

Comment

I honestly admit I haven't done all the requisite academic reading on the subject but I don't intuitively see a reason to draw a strict dichotomy between the two concepts (if they are two entirely separate subjects). There seems to be a clear interconnectedness. Per the Wikipedia article, the issue of who Jazz is interested in and how this directly relates to gender identity has come up:

n 2012, she discussed her sexual orientation with Barbara Walters during her 20/20 interview, saying she is attracted to boys and that she was a bit worried about dating because of her transgender identity.[3] In a Q&A video posted to her Youtube Channel in July 2014, Jennings stated that she is pansexual and that she loves people "for their personality" and that she doesn't care if they're "bi, gay, trans, whatever they are"
          Thus, it seems a lot more relevant than your example of noting that any child celebrity (children shouldn't be celebrities IMO but that's a different issue altogether) has a gender.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

How does changing sexuality to gender identity make it any the less exploitive?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sure, boys are more likely to be interested in girls and girls are more likely intested in boys, but that holds true of any kids on TV. If it's "exploitive" (as Teallaura puts it) to portray a trans girl because she's interested in boys in the way typical of her age group, then it would be exploitive to show any young teens.

The point I'm trying to make is that there's a tendency to sexualize media that strays from the usual cis/het portrayals. For example, no one bats an eye at the hetero love story stuff in Frozen, but make any of those pairings same-sex and people would claim there's suddenly "sexual content." Or, in this case, a show about a teen girl who's into--say--competative Lego Mindstorms construction and includes occasional mentions that she has boy crushes would be fine, but if she's a trans girl then suddenly it's "exploiting her sexuality."

Comment

Did you miss the part where this started when the kid was six? Haven't seen it yet but I'm pretty sure Elsa and Anna are a bit older than that.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sure, boys are more likely to be interested in girls and girls are more likely intested in boys, but that holds true of any kids on TV. If it's "exploitive" (as Teallaura puts it) to portray a trans girl because she's interested in boys in the way typical of her age group, then it would be exploitive to show any young teens.

The point I'm trying to make is that there's a tendency to sexualize media that strays from the usual cis/het portrayals. For example, no one bats an eye at the hetero love story stuff in Frozen, but make any of those pairings same-sex and people would claim there's suddenly "sexual content." Or, in this case, a show about a teen girl who's into--say--competative Lego Mindstorms construction and includes occasional mentions that she has boy crushes would be fine, but if she's a trans girl then suddenly it's "exploiting her sexuality."
                  The only reason people are asking who she is interested in is because of her gender identity, though. Even if you insist there's no connection, it seems the media audience sees it.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The point I'm trying to make is that there's a tendency to sexualize media that strays from the usual cis/het portrayals.
                    You are right to some extend, but like KG said, the only reason people are asking who she is interested in is because of her gender identity.

For example, no one bats an eye at the hetero love story stuff in Frozen, but make any of those pairings same-sex and people would claim there's suddenly "sexual content." Or, in this case, a show about a teen girl who's into--say--competative Lego Mindstorms construction and includes occasional mentions that she has boy crushes would be fine, but if she's a trans girl then suddenly it's "exploiting her sexuality."
                    Yeah, there is a double standard towards these shows...
                    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    I support the :
                    sigpic

Comment

And I will be fair. If anybody claims there is sexual content in that one anime that had a lesbian crush recently or whatever it was, they are wrong; that is not sexual content. They are objecting to homosexuality which does not require outright sexual content to be portrayed.

Comment

The point I'm trying to make is that there's a tendency to sexualize media that strays from the usual cis/het portrayals.
                        This is just a red herring as the only notable thing about the guy is that since age 6 he has become a poster child for acceptance of transsexuality.

Comment

And I will be fair. If anybody claims there is sexual content in that one anime that had a lesbian crush recently or whatever it was, they are wrong; that is not sexual content. They are objecting to homosexuality which does not require outright sexual content to be portrayed.
                          You are referring to Legend of Korra. I agree that there was no sexual content, but overt innuendo is only marginally less bad.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The only reason people are asking who she is interested in is because of her gender identity, though. Even if you insist there's no connection, it seems the media audience sees it.
                            Sure, transgender identity is the draw. Conflating that with sexuality is what's incorrect.

Here's a fitting analogy: http://www.triplemagtv.com is a reality show about a mother and her two girls who like to hunt. The draw is their gender mixed with a sport that is traditionally male-oriented in our culture.

So...is Triple Mag "literally profiting off of a child's sexuality"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              You are referring to Legend of Korra. I agree that there was no sexual content, but overt innuendo is only marginally less bad.
                              It was in that?

I've been wanting to see the show, well, if I ever get a chance to finish Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                                It was in that?
                                At the end of the last season.

I've been wanting to see the show, well, if I ever get a chance to finish Avatar: The Last Airbender.
                                It was really good in the first season. The second season was dreadful, and the third not a lot better. The last season was mostly good, except for the awful but subtle innuendo between Korra and Asami.
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment