Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jazz Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Jennings

Jazz Jennings is a 14 year old transgender activist/celebrity. Born male, Jazz started "transitioning" to female at age six, and has appeared on various TV shows, is doing commercials, and is going to be the focus of an upcoming show on the TLC network.

Putting the ethics of transgender issues aside for a moment... does anybody else see this as literally profiting off of a child's sexuality? Why do people not see this as wrong?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Because we are no longer (as a nation) interested in what is right, only what is entertaining.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Because we are no longer (as a nation) interested in what is right, only what is entertaining.
      I guess I don't get how anybody could even see this as entertaining.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I guess I don't get how anybody could even see this as entertaining.
        Same reason they rubberneck at accidents.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Another issue that comes to mind... this child has become a celebrity and thus has a lot socially and financially invested in this identity. Sexuality can be fluid in the teenage years, and there's a not-low chance that there might be a change of mind. If this isn't something they really want to do, it seems to seriously shoehorn them into that role at this time.
          Last edited by KingsGambit; 03-17-2015, 09:43 PM. Reason: meant to type "identity" instead of "environment"

Comment

http://adam4d.com/momdad/

I think it would be very telling looking at the parents themselves. I wouldn't be surprised to see these "parents" using their child's problems as a way to get kudos and prestige from their circle of liberal friends. Kinda like "my child is an honor roll student" but way more messed up.

"Oh you have a homosexual son? Well our daughter is transfemale genderqueer demisexual plant-kin."

Comment

Jazz Jennings is a 14 year old transgender activist/celebrity. Born male, Jazz started "transitioning" to female at age six, and has appeared on various TV shows, is doing commercials, and is going to be the focus of an upcoming show on the TLC network.

Putting the ethics of transgender issues aside for a moment... does anybody else see this as literally profiting off of a child's sexuality? Why do people not see this as wrong?
              Jazz Jennings was diagnosed with gender dysphoria. She was treated by the appropriate professionals and has subsequently appeared in public forums talking about the challenges of growing up a transgender child. She appears to be a poised, well balanced individual and her case is not necessarily one of child exploitation. It is certainly less exploitive than say, child beauty pageants:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-2...-in-wa/5554364

OR:

The boy, Alex Malarkey, who supposedly came back from a trip heaven, but who later admitted he fabricated the claim - just one of several children in the “heaven tourism industry”. Colton Burpo is another - there's a movie being made about his fantasies. And that's not exploitative?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/heaven.asp

OR:

Pushy show-biz mothers!

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
              http://adam4d.com/momdad/

I think it would be very telling looking at the parents themselves. I wouldn't be surprised to see these "parents" using their child's problems as a way to get kudos and prestige from their circle of liberal friends. Kinda like "my child is an honor roll student" but way more messed up.

"Oh you have a homosexual son? Well our daughter is transfemale genderqueer demisexual plant-kin."

This is all Ill-informed conjecture. You don't know any of this.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Why do people not see this as wrong?
                Because it advances the progressive agenda, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  It is certainly less exploitive than say, child beauty pageants:
                  Exploitation is exploitation, Tass. It's all disgusting.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Tassman, I don't think you'll find anybody on this site who believes Burpo's stories. And, yes, child beauty pageants are pedophile magnets that should be shut down.

Comment

The TLC network has gone down the tubes in the last few years. It's all about catering to the gawker at the freak show type consumer.

They know that people like to gawk at freaks, or train wrecks, or anything outlandish. So their shows are all about two headed girls, midgets, huge families, polygamy, hoarders, overweight people, redneck life, and sexual aberrations.

They are the Barnum and Bailey sideshow act of the 21st century.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        The TLC network has gone down the tubes in the last few years. It's all about catering to the gawker at the freak show type consumer.

They know that people like to gawk at freaks, or train wrecks, or anything outlandish. So their shows are all about two headed girls, midgets, huge families, polygamy, hoarders, overweight people, redneck life, and sexual aberrations.

They are the Barnum and Bailey sideshow act of the 21st century.
                        I've taken to calling it The Loser Channel.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          I've taken to calling it The Loser Channel.
                          It sucks because I remember when I was 9 years old and my dad told me to watch this mini-series on TLC, War and Civilization. Before that I used to love dinosaurs but since then I've been enamored by history.
                          http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1084636/

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                            It sucks because I remember when I was 9 years old and my dad told me to watch this mini-series on TLC, War and Civilization. Before that I used to love dinosaurs but since then I've been enamored by history.
                            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1084636/
                            Yeah and the History channel actually showed history. Now it is fake hunts for giants, or bigfoot and UFOs.

Comment

When I think of TLC, I think of the hip-hop group. Don't go chasing waterfalls...

Comment