Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Live-Action 'Dumbo': PETA Asks Tim Burton to Change Ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live-Action 'Dumbo': PETA Asks Tim Burton to Change Ending

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ta-asks-780664

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is urging director Tim Burton to give the baby circus elephant star of Disney's upcoming animated classic makeover Dumbo its own taste of freedom in the planned live-action film.

PETA on Wednesday urged the Big Eyes director to give a new ending for Dumbo where the big-eared circus performer is allowed to retire to a sanctuary.

"We're hopeful that in your adaptation of Dumbo, the young elephant and his mother can have a truly happy ending by living out their lives at a sanctuary instead of continuing to be imprisoned and abused in the entertainment industry," PETA senior vp Lisa Lange wrote Burton in an open letter.

The PETA call follows Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus choosing to phase out its iconic elephant acts. Disney's new Dumbo movie, set to mix CGI and live action, is based on the classic 1941 film.

The script was penned by Transformers franchise writer Ehren Kruger. Lange, in her letter, added PETA likes the original Dumbo movie and storyline "because it tells the story of the heartbreaking abuse that elephants in circuses endure."
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Whoa now...there's going to be a live-action Dumbo movie? Man, we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

This is the same organization that asked Fishkill, New York to change its name to PETA's URL.

(Incidentally, the name actually comes from "kill" being the Dutch word for creek.)
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Whoa now...there's going to be a live-action Dumbo movie? Man, we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
        I think that started* a LONG time ago.

*Alvin and the Chipmunks, Underdog, and, ugh, I hate to say it, Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Comment

Yes we must protect the freedom of fictional animal characters in movies and cartoons. Oh the horror and pain they must be going through. Maybe Peta should get them to remake "old Yeller" too. And "Sharknado" - after all those poor sharks being pulled from their home in the ocean and being forced to attack people just to survive.

Comment

giphy.gif
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yes, we need to redo the end of Jaws, so that the shark, after helping to reduce the overpopulation of the planet, is satisfied for now and swims back into the free blue sea.

Comment

Maybe they can convince the Pokémon Company to do a cartoon where Ash Ketchum changes his name to Ash Freeum and releases Pikachu and the other poor critters from a life of imprisonment and abuse where they are forced to fight for the entertainment of others when not confined in a tiny Poké Balls

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah but in Newkirk's reality Dumbo's true liberation only comes when they are euthanized.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ta-asks-780664

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is urging director Tim Burton to give the baby circus elephant star of Disney's upcoming animated classic makeover Dumbo its own taste of freedom in the planned live-action film.

PETA on Wednesday urged the Big Eyes director to give a new ending for Dumbo where the big-eared circus performer is allowed to retire to a sanctuary.

"We're hopeful that in your adaptation of Dumbo, the young elephant and his mother can have a truly happy ending by living out their lives at a sanctuary instead of continuing to be imprisoned and abused in the entertainment industry," PETA senior vp Lisa Lange wrote Burton in an open letter.

The PETA call follows Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus choosing to phase out its iconic elephant acts. Disney's new Dumbo movie, set to mix CGI and live action, is based on the classic 1941 film.

The script was penned by Transformers franchise writer Ehren Kruger. Lange, in her letter, added PETA likes the original Dumbo movie and storyline "because it tells the story of the heartbreaking abuse that elephants in circuses endure."
                    Perhaps they should do The PETA VersionTM. In that version, PETA kidnaps all of the elephants and euthanizes them all. Just to prove how much they love animals.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Maybe they can convince the Pokémon Company to do a cartoon where Ash Ketchum changes his name to Ash Freeum and releases Pikachu and the other poor critters from a life of imprisonment and abuse where they are forced to fight for the entertainment of others when not confined in a tiny Poké Balls

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4600[/ATTACH]
                      You mean stuffing a bunch of creatures, into a tiny ball, and forcing them to fight one another; for our own amusement. Is bad?
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Gotta catch 'em all.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          You mean stuffing a bunch of creatures, into a tiny ball, and forcing them to fight one another; for our own amusement. Is bad?
                          No. It's acting like YOU won that's the problem.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment