// Required code

Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Facebook removes "feeling fat" emoticon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Facebook removes "feeling fat" emoticon

    Because it "could reinforce negative body image."

    I just have one question: what if I want to gender identify as fat? Would this spark a civil war between the anti-body shaming SJWs and the gender-inclusivity SJWs?

    According to the article, the "feeling ugly" emoticon is still available. As a generally unattractive person, I find this highly offensive. It interferes with my ability to love myself and feel comfortable in my body. Body shaming yet pervades our culture. Shame on us all.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

  • #2
    As someone from the adipose gifted community and a preferer of larger women, I am appalled; appalled at this lack of respect in favor of special treatment for the healthy weight hegemony. I'm furiously typing on my tumblr blog as we speak.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Because it "could reinforce negative body image."

      I just have one question: what if I want to gender identify as fat?
      That...doesn't make any coherent sense as a concept. "Fat" isn't even remotely like a gender. You might as well ask "what if orange ideas slept furiously?

      Would this spark a civil war between the anti-body shaming SJWs and the gender-inclusivity SJWs?
      This honestly reads as if you're just posting random words.

      According to the article, the "feeling ugly" emoticon is still available. As a generally unattractive person, I find this highly offensive. It interferes with my ability to love myself and feel comfortable in my body. Body shaming yet pervades our culture. Shame on us all.
      Ah, you're trying to be sarcastic/satirical. Figures.

      In all seriousness, "fat" and "ugly" technically aren't feelings, so Facebook really ought to remove them for the sake of accuracy if nothing else. Personally, I think they ought to remove their emoticons altogether; the way those things are used nowadays, they've basically become a substitute for communication rather than an enhancer of it. But aside from that, I'm really not sure where your tone of veiled exasperation and disgust comes from. Sure, it's an odd reason for removing the emoticon, but sarcasm aside, is anyone's life actually made worse by the fact that the "feeling fat" emoticon is now gone? It just...doesn't seem like it matters particularly much. The cause wasn't that big of a deal, and the effects aren't that big of a deal. So...why make such a big deal of it by devoting a thread to it?

      ETA: Also, am I missing something? I've got Facebook open on another tab, and I don't see any emoticon labeled "feeling ugly."
      Last edited by fm93; 03-12-2015, 06:48 PM.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

      I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fm93 View Post
        That...doesn't make any coherent sense as a concept. "Fat" isn't even remotely like a gender. You might as well ask "what if orange ideas slept furiously?
        Yes, it obviously doesn't make any coherent sense. I'm mocking the people who think that similar gender identifications do make sense. Feel free to ignore that sentence if you want to.

        Originally posted by fm93 View Post
        This honestly reads as if you're just posting random words.



        Originally posted by fm93 View Post
        Ah, you're trying to be sarcastic/satirical. Figures.
        What does this mean?

        Originally posted by fm93 View Post
        In all seriousness, "fat" and "ugly" technically aren't feelings, so Facebook really ought to remove them for the sake of accuracy if nothing else. Personally, I think they ought to remove their emoticons altogether; the way those things are used nowadays, they've basically come a substitute for communication rather than an enhancer of it. But aside from that, I'm really not sure where your tone of veiled exasperation and disgust comes from. Sure, it's an odd reason for removing the emoticon, but sarcasm aside, is anyone's life actually made worse by the fact that the "feeling fat" emoticon is now gone? It just...doesn't seem like it matters particularly much. The cause wasn't that big of a deal, and the effects aren't that big of a deal. So...why make such a big deal of it by devoting a thread to it?

        ETA: Also, am I missing something? I've got Facebook open on another tab, and I don't see any emoticon labeled "feeling ugly."
        I think the emoticons are stupid. I don't care if people want to rally for facebook to remove some, and I don't care if facebook removes them. I posted this here because it amused me.

        As for "feeling fat": have you ever talked to a pregnant woman? Based on what you're saying here, I'm suspecting perhaps not?
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fm93 View Post
          Personally, I think they ought to remove their emoticons altogether; the way those things are used nowadays, they've basically come a substitute for communication rather than an enhancer of it.
          Never!

          In all seriousness, my ex used to get upset over my smiley usage. Use a ":P" in conversation as a sign of happiness and content? Why aren't you taking our relationship seriously?! *cue hour long spat of passive aggressiveness*

          Comment


          • #6
            I can't find the pic now, but the other day I saw a comment by someone who was arguing that people shouldn't use pronouns (e.g., "he," "she") to refer to their pets, because animals can't tell you what gender they identify as.

            But apparently mockery of this magnitude of stupidity is unacceptable? Or am I just bad at it? The latter is a possibility--you know, practice and all that.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Yes, it obviously doesn't make any coherent sense. I'm mocking the people who think that similar gender identifications do make sense. Feel free to ignore that sentence if you want to.
              I, uh...really have no clue what this means or is referring to. "Similar gender identifications?" What?

              What does this mean?
              That your bizarre "questions" make more sense when understood as an attempt at sarcasm instead of as honest questions.

              As for "feeling fat": have you ever talked to a pregnant woman? Based on what you're saying here, I'm suspecting perhaps not?
              I have, and unless I've misunderstood, what they describe would be more accurately labeled "feeling bloated."
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

              I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                I can't find the pic now, but the other day I saw a comment by someone who was arguing that people shouldn't use pronouns (e.g., "he," "she") to refer to their pets, because animals can't tell you what gender they identify as.
                This is akin to making your cat a vegetarian, imo. Even those other species which are nearing human mental activity don't seem to have that extra layer of societal awareness required for gender identity. I expect it's as unique to humans as is actively choosing which foods you do or don't eat for moral or health reasons.


                Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                But apparently mockery of this magnitude of stupidity is unacceptable? Or am I just bad at it? The latter is a possibility--you know, practice and all that.
                You need more practice. You should have asked how people with weight fetishes are supposed to find potential mates.
                I'm not here anymore.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  This is akin to making your cat a vegetarian, imo. Even those other species which are nearing human mental activity don't seem to have that extra layer of societal awareness required for gender identity. I expect it's as unique to humans as is actively choosing which foods you do or don't eat for moral or health reasons.




                  You need more practice. You should have asked how people with weight fetishes are supposed to find potential mates.
                  Ok, I accept that. I'll think more carefully about my posts in the future.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                    I, uh...really have no clue what this means or is referring to. "Similar gender identifications?" What?
                    I could probably find some examples of what I mean, but I think this thread was poorly posted and don't feel the need to right now.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      I could probably find some examples of what I mean, but I think this thread was poorly posted and don't feel the need to right now.

                      I'm on my phone so I'm not gonna look up the picture, but yeah, there was someone on tumblr identifying as "star gender."

                      "Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                      Katniss Everdeen


                      Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I thought the OP was funny.

                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                        My Personal Blog

                        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          You need more practice. You should have asked how people with weight fetishes are supposed to find potential mates.
                          Move to the US of A.
                          ~Formerly known as Chrawnus~

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            Move to the US of A.
                            USA* not U S of eh. We are not Canadian
                            "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                            "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                            Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                              USA* not U S of eh. We are not Canadian
                              Go watch some Borat, you uncultured barbarian.
                              ~Formerly known as Chrawnus~

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seanD, Yesterday, 05:25 PM
                              2 responses
                              51 views
                              3 likes
                              Last Post seanD
                              by seanD
                               
                              Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 01:23 PM
                              4 responses
                              51 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 10:30 AM
                              59 responses
                              330 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Started by Starlight, 10-16-2020, 06:20 PM
                              23 responses
                              208 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post oxmixmudd  
                              Started by Whateverman, 10-16-2020, 06:20 PM
                              16 responses
                              141 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Whateverman  
                              Working...
                              X