Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can't We Just Shoot Them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't We Just Shoot Them?

I mean really, don't they have something better to do?

A group of university professors has signed a letter showing their solidarity with students who tried to ban the American flag at the University of California, Irvine – because they said Old Glory contributes to racism.

U.S. nationalism often contributes to racism and xenophobia, and that the paraphernalia of nationalism is in fact often used to intimidate,” read a letter obtained by the website Campus Reform.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...yed-on-campus/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Who knows how many wars we can prevent by removing that flag
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

We can't shoot them if they make bullets illegal!

Comment

We outta give them free passage to the country of their choice.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          We outta give them free passage to the country of their choice.
          What is ironic is that these people are attending (students) and getting paid (faculty) by a college that depends on public government funds. The same government that the flag represents.
          Last edited by Sparko; 03-12-2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

The very definition of educated idiots.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Can't We Just Shoot Them?

UCI Student Support Letter

To the Legislative Council:

We write to support the six members who offered the resolution to remove national flags from the ASUCI lobby. The university ought to respect their political position and meet its obligation to protect and promote their safety. The resolution recognized that nationalism, including U.S. nationalism, often contributes to racism and xenophobia, and that the paraphernalia of nationalism is in fact often used to intimidate. This is a more or less uncontroversial scholarly point, and in practice the resolution has drawn admiration nationally from much of the academic community. In fact, the resolution's perspective has been completely borne out by recent events. Over the weekend, UCI has been inundated with racist, xenophobic comments and death threats against the students from people who are, precisely, invested in the paraphernalia of nationalism. UCI's official Facebook page, for example, has filled up with violent and racist remarks. Its official moderator, representing UCI, has neither repudiated the comments nor deleted them--even the death threats. We are afraid that Chancellor Gillman's response will have the effect of licensing further harassment. We admire the courage of the resolution's supporters amid this environment of political immaturity and threat, and support them unequivocally.

Emphasis added, irony offered gratuitously by the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post

We write to support the six members who offered the resolution to remove national flags from the ASUCI lobby. The university ought to respect their political position and meet its obligation to protect and promote their safety. The resolution recognized that nationalism, including U.S. nationalism, often contributes to racism and xenophobia, and that the paraphernalia of nationalism is in fact often used to intimidate. This is a more or less uncontroversial scholarly point, and in practice the resolution has drawn admiration nationally from much of the academic community. In fact, the resolution's perspective has been completely borne out by recent events. Over the weekend, UCI has been inundated with racist, xenophobic comments and death threats against the students from people who are, precisely, invested in the paraphernalia of nationalism. UCI's official Facebook page, for example, has filled up with violent and racist remarks. Its official moderator, representing UCI, has neither repudiated the comments nor deleted them--even the death threats. We are afraid that Chancellor Gillman's response will have the effect of licensing further harassment. We admire the courage of the resolution's supporters amid this environment of political immaturity and threat, and support them unequivocally.

Oh well, stuff happens...
                Last edited by seer; 03-12-2015, 02:55 PM.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

You could easily say that liberal radical anti-nationalism caused the "xenophobia and racism"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    You could easily say that liberal radical anti-nationalism caused the "xenophobia and racism"
                    Well, no, I couldn't. I personally find it quite difficult to link anti-nationalism to xenophobia.

What I find easy to say is, "Look, a death threat toward these students from seer, in response to a letter supporting the students against death threats. — Let's see how many maroons we can find willing to defend this crap."

Thanks for your contribution.

Next?

Comment

Well, no, I couldn't. I personally find it quite difficult to link anti-nationalism to xenophobia.

What I find easy to say is, "Look, a death threat toward these students from seer, in response to a letter supporting the students against death threats. — Let's see how many maroons we can find willing to defend this crap."

Thanks for your contribution.

Next?
                      Hey Homer, do you really think I was making death threats against these moronic ingrates?

Comment

I too find it quite difficult to link sticking a hungry hippo and a hungry lion in the same cage together with the resulting carnage. Lao tzu will still be protesting his innocence when he is inevitably introduced to the many ways in which work makes him free.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Hey Homer, do you really think I was making death threats against these moronic ingrates?
                          Yes. We understand you're a flake. We understand you have limited comprehension of what you post, and even less discrimination in what you read. No one expects you to go to the trouble to follow your FOX news post back to the actual letter. Because we all know you're a flake.

But do please make the tiny effort needed to find the link between calling for someone to be shot and that person dying.

Comment

Yes. We understand you're a flake. We understand you have limited comprehension of what you post, and even less discrimination in what you read. No one expects you to go to the trouble to follow your FOX news post back to the actual letter. Because we all know you're a flake.

But do please make the tiny effort needed to find the link between calling for someone to be shot and that person dying.
                            Well thank you Homer, I will take that as a no... And yes, I did read the actual letter - and? You are surprised that patriotic Americans were upset with this inane position.
                            Last edited by seer; 03-13-2015, 06:37 AM.

Comment

death threats against the students
                              Can't you liberals at least come up with original ploys for victimhood?

"Oh noes they received death threats how terrible the feels are overwhelming we must view them as victims instead of aggressors"

Comment