Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You Sexist You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hold the door open for women because they're bad at math, is this sexism
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

My point is that they are dramatizing the word "rape" - I agree that looks or whatever might make a woman uncomfortable, but to call it "rape" is total exaggeration. Psychological "Rape" is not RAPE. It is intimidation at best. Once everything is a form of rape, then the word rape has no meaning. And rape is an important issue that we should not trivialize.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        My point is that they are dramatizing the word "rape" - I agree that looks or whatever might make a woman uncomfortable, but to call it "rape" is total exaggeration. Psychological "Rape" is not RAPE. It is intimidation at best. Once everything is a form of rape, then the word rape has no meaning. And rape is an important issue that we should not trivialize.
        I agree with this.

In other contexts, people with an interest in political correctness do seem to recognize this by discouraging people from saying things like "Our football team totally got raped out there." The same principle should apply here.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Sexual harassment being unacceptable doesn't make it "psychological rape."
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Sexual harassment being unacceptable doesn't make it "psychological rape."
            Stop post raping me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Okay. This sentiment I can agree with. I suppose it could be conveyed in terms like "persistent non-physical behavior towards a non-consenting woman is just as inexcusable as physically raping her." But for the sake of consistency, then, should people condone Dr. Craig's usage of phrases like "divine rape" in his debates and articles?
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                Some men practically wax poetic about the need to "shower a lady with respect" and put on a show of being overbearingly courteous to literally every woman, but then often act rudely and disrespectfully towards other men in the same contexts. In instances like that, the clear implication is that if a man is respectful and courteous only towards women, that's not true equality, and that the apparent respect/courtesy is probably phony and condescending. That's a case of false chivalry.
                This is something I have never seen. Sounds like a silly statement.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

and that the apparent respect/courtesy is probably phony and condescending.
                  So everybody who doesn't believe in gender equality (IE: anyone with a functioning brain) is automatically phony and condescending?
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    I saw it in high school. People who'd rudely treat others who weren't in their own in-group, but then would act all charming and courteous towards girls just so they could get those girls to sleep with them.
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

I saw it in high school. People who'd rudely treat others who weren't in their own in-group, but then would act all charming and courteous towards girls just so they could get those girls to sleep with them.
                      I have some bad news for you: the girls probably liked that.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        I have some bad news for you: the girls probably liked that.
                        I'm sure they did. But my point was that that sort of behavior on the part of the boys was indicative of what one might call "benevolent sexism." And a woman who's aware of this might sense that something's wrong if she notices that a guy opens doors and acts courteously only for her and other women but is a rude boor to everyone else. Perhaps she'd suspect that his behavior is fundamentally dishonest and devious.

Comment

I'm sure they did. But my point was that that sort of behavior on the part of the boys was indicative of what one might call "benevolent sexism." And a woman who's aware of this might sense that something's wrong if she notices that a guy opens doors and acts courteously only for her and other women but is a rude boor to everyone else. Perhaps she'd suspect that his behavior is fundamentally dishonest and devious.
                          Why would she think it's dishonest (I mean other than if she were to be retarded)? You do realize that women in general don't mind this kind of thing? Shrieking manly feminists are not the typical woman. I think you're just engaging in wishful thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            It is, just like pretending that everybody would want to be known for the same thing. How does FM know that a rocket scientist wouldn't want to be known first for her role as a wife and mother first and her career second? That is as sexist as can be. I personally would rather be known as a good daughter, sister, wife, and mother first and my career second.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              It is, just like pretending that everybody would want to be known for the same thing. How does FM know that a rocket scientist wouldn't want to be known first for her role as a wife and mother first and her career second? That is as sexist as can be. I personally would rather be known as a good daughter, sister, wife, and mother first and my career second.
                              The point, as the article I specifically linked to explains, is that you know an obituary of a famous male scientist like Einstein wouldn't have a section devoted to exemplifying his family life. His career achievements would stand on their own. Whereas a female scientist's obituary was written by someone who apparently decided that the family life section needed to be there. That's an unequal standard. Either the female scientist's career achievements can also stand on their own, or obituaries of male scientists should also remind the public that men can have exemplary family lives.

Comment

Einstein didn't have an exemplary family life, I can see why someone would leave it off his obituary.

Comment