Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You Sexist You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Sexist You!

We just can't win!

Benevolent sexism makes men more smiley when they interact with women, and that's bad news. Men who put women on a pedestal may be the wolves in sheep clothing hindering gender equality.

A new study examining the nonverbal cues thrown out during interactions between men and women finds that men who have high ratings of "benevolent sexism" — attitudes towards women that are well-intentioned but perpetuate inequality — finds that smiling and other positive cues increase when this kind of sexism is prevalent.

It's a very paternalistic, protective view of women, and it seems kind of appealing as a sort of chivalry," Goh said, "But it does contribute to inequality, because these men don't expect women to achieve high goals...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/s...e-study-finds/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

What do you find wrong with the article? I often see conservatives accusing liberals and moderates of essentially engaging in benevolent racism (i.e acting as if minorities can't take care of or better themselves without help). But benevolent sexism sounds problematic?
    Last edited by fm93; 03-11-2015, 03:00 PM.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
      What do you find wrong with it? I often see conservatives accusing liberals and moderates of essentially engaging in benevolent racism (i.e acting as if minorities can't take care of or better themselves without help). But benevolent sexism sounds problematic?
      So you think they are both good things?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

No, neither benevolent racism nor benevolent sexism are good things. By "wrong with it" I was referring to the article pointing out the study about benevolent sexism. You seemed to be complaining about the article.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Grain of truth, but now smiling will be used as evidence of sexism. Scientists discover dangerous new wave of microagressions
          "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
            Grain of truth, but now smiling will be used as evidence of sexism. Scientists discover dangerous new wave of microagressions
            Meh, that sounds like a stretch. I doubt it'll go that far. I think by "benevolent sexism" they had something more like this in mind:

For a very recent example of how benevolent sexism might play out in our everyday lives, take a look at this satirical piece, which jokingly re-writes Albert Einstein’s obituary.

To quote:

He made sure he shopped for groceries every night on the way home from work, took the garbage out, and hand washed the antimacassars. But to his step daughters he was just Dad. ”He was always there for us,” said his step daughter and first cousin once removed Margo.

Albert Einstein, who died on Tuesday, had another life at work, where he sometimes slipped away to peck at projects like showing that atoms really exist. His discovery of something called the photoelectric effect won him a coveted Nobel Prize.

Looks weird, right? Kind of like something you would never actually see in print?

Yet the author of rocket scientist Yvonne Brill’s obituary didn’t hesitate before writing the following about her last week:

She made a mean beef stroganoff, followed her husband from job to job, and took eight years off from work to raise three children. “The world’s best mom,” her son Matthew said.

But Yvonne Brill, who died on Wednesday at 88 in Princeton, N.J., was also a brilliant rocket scientist, who in the early 1970s invented a propulsion system to help keep communications satellites from slipping out of their orbits.

In fact, Obituaries editor William McDonald still sees nothing wrong with it. In his words, he’s “surprised…[because] it never occurred to [him] that this would be read as sexist,” and if he had to re-write it again, he still “wouldn’t do anything differently.”

I want to make one thing perfectly clear. There’s not a problem with mentioning Brill’s family, friends, and loved ones. It’s not a problem to note how wonderfully Brill balanced her domestic and professional lives. Brill was a female scientist during a time when very few women could occupy that role in society, and that means something truly important.

But the problem here is really that if “Yvonne” were “Yvan,” the obit would have looked fundamentally different. If we’re talking up the importance of work-life balance and familial roles for women but we’re not also mentioning those things about men, that’s a problem. If a woman’s accomplishments must be accompanied by a reassurance that she really was “a good Mom,” but a man’s accomplishments are allowed to stand on their own, that’s a problem. And lest you think that I only care about women, let’s not act like this doesn’t have a real and dangerous impact on men, too. If a man spends years of his life as a doting father and caring husband, yet his strong devotion to his family is not considered an important fact for his obituary because he’s male…then yes, that’s also a big problem.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...volent-sexism/

Comment

I have already read of women who find men opening doors for them objectionable. This is just a formalization of that same garbage.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                I have already read of women who find men opening doors for them objectionable. This is just a formalization of that same garbage.
                In the post literally right above yours, I shared an analysis of how benevolent sexism probably refers to something more serious.

Comment

In the post literally right above yours, I shared an analysis of how benevolent sexism probably refers to something more serious.
                  But would you agree that a woman finding a man opening a door for her offensive is an unreasonable extreme?
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    But would you agree that a woman finding a man opening a door for her offensive is an unreasonable extreme?
                    Generally, yes. Although I suppose it could be a warranted reaction if, say, a woman noticed that a particular man opened doors for women but never for men.

Comment

Generally, yes. Although I suppose it could be a warranted reaction if, say, a woman noticed that a particular man opened doors for women but never for men.
                      Hmm...as a general rule, I'll only open a door for a guy if he's with a woman, disabled, carrying something big, etc. Perhaps I am a "benevolent sexist"?

Comment

Hmm...as a general rule, I'll only open a door for a guy if he's with a woman, disabled, carrying something big, etc. Perhaps I am a "benevolent sexist"?
                        So...you often/always hold the door open if a woman's close behind you, regardless of whether she's disabled or carrying something big, but only hold doors open for men under those specific conditions?

Comment

So...you often/always hold the door open if a woman's close behind you, regardless of whether she's disabled or carrying something big, but only hold doors open for men under those specific conditions?
                          Generally, yeah. I'm genuinely curious if this makes me sexist.

Comment

Generally, yeah. I'm genuinely curious if this makes me sexist.
                            Er...well, what's your reason for doing that?

Comment

Er...well, what's your reason for doing that?
                              You can call me a sexist if you really think I am one; it won't bother me. I'm actually almost laughing about this.

My reason? I was raised to show respect to women, and to treat them differently than men. Nothing particularly groundbreaking. I am also willing to call good male friends of mine doofus, idiot, etc. I would be much more hesitant to call a lady friend any of those things.

Comment