Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Planet Fitness revokes woman's membership after transgender complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by sylas View Post
      So the question is... when it comes to accepting boundaries. Can we accept a company that adopts policies and boundaries against disruption to members by a disgruntled individual returning daily to stir up the matter? It seems to me that this becomes a safety issue also.

Cheers -- sylas
      From what I have read here and on the linked blog, the woman is unhappy that she was never informed that this was their locker-room policy. IOW nothing was stated in the rules and policies of the place on signing up. She is just informing other women of this policy as she obviously felt compromised by the non-disclosure. I think she has a right to protest about that and find it troubling that you are content to have her silenced.

Comment

Originally posted by sylas View Post
        I have a bit of a double take at this post. I appreciate your irenic and unaggressive approach; but don't you have the example backwards? The person not accepting established boundaries, in this case, was the person who kicked up an enormous and disruptive fuss because they didn't like the boundaries that were in place.
        I was thinking more of "traditional" or instinctual boundaries that separate the sexes in places like changing rooms and bathrooms

Some places might have policies that would exclude or limit you on the basis of your orientation. Most places don't. (And I think that's good. I hope you do as well!)
        I wouldn't use the word "exclude" unless they refused to provide me with any place to get changed or whatever. I think in the best circumstance a place like that would have a gender-neutral place for people like that to use. A smaller place that provides more individual privacy. I don't think I have a natural "right" to change or shower with other males when I'm a different "kind" of male from them
        You say you would accept and understand if you were banned. That's generous; seriously. The question I'm begging to ask -- would you accept and understand a place that decided you would REMAIN welcome, and would rather enforce their established boundaries against being disruptive? That's what happened here. Isn't PlanetFitness due some understanding as well, for their boundaries against disruption of other members, and expectation of how members should manage any complaints?
        PlanetFitness can enforce whichever policy they think is right but I don't think it would be best or comfortable for most people. If they ultimately don't agree with this woman than that woman should just take her business elsewhere.

I use mens' rooms and locker rooms and such when I have to. I'm a VERY shy person and can barely make eye contact with people let alone try and exploit such a situation ... but I have to admit, sometimes I feel like a bit of a peeping tom.. Like its not wholly honest of me to be in places like that, even if I'm not going in there with unwholesome motives. They were designed with the assumption that one's sexual psychology would match their anatomy

To get a comparable situation, you have to consider a place where you are welcome, and not banned; and then one individual cannot accept this, and disrupts the establishment to try and change their welcoming and inclusive boundaries in order to exclude you.

Cheers -- sylas
        Just to clarify again I'm not saying that places like planet fitness should ban people who are gay, intersex, or transgender from being at the gym at all. Just to maybe recognize that there's a distinction between us and most people and provide us with an alternative that won't make anyone feel uncomfortable.

As for how I would deal with such a situation, it depends on how the other person acts.. if they were just expressing concern and discomfort that's something I can respect and I think we have a responsibility to accommodate each others' boundaries when they're reasonable
        "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          An article I read about this made it clear that this was talking about a locker room and that that changing rooms are single-person locked stalls. So there is no reason any transgender person would see something they shouldn't. (Though it left me a bit unclear on why they even bother to gender-segregate the locker room itself in the first place, so maybe I'm missing something?)
          Generally at gyms the changing rooms are inside the locker rooms. And so are the showers. So going into the locker room would give access to both the changing rooms and the showers. And people don't generally go from the shower to the changing room in clothes, just a towel or robe. And if the changing rooms do have doors, that makes it even easier for some rapist to lie in wait for some woman to come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Generally at gyms the changing rooms are inside the locker rooms. And so are the showers. So going into the locker room would give access to both the changing rooms and the showers. And people don't generally go from the shower to the changing room in clothes, just a towel or robe. And if the changing rooms do have doors, that makes it even easier for some rapist to lie in wait for some woman to come in.
            Some don't even use a towel.

Speaking from past traumatic experiences here.

ETA: Technically it wasn't a gym though. I mean, there were areas with gym equipment, but this place was primarily about swimming pools. It was apparently a natural lake at one point, and the filled it in and turned it into a really cool place to swim. They even have a special dome over it in winter in order to let you swim then.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Women outnumber transgendered people. If women are made uncomfortable in their bathroom by the presence of a transgender male, why do the feelings and comfort of the women not matter? Why do the feelings of a few (an extreme minority) take precedence over the feelings of a large percentage of the population?
              Because trans trumps womyn.

In other news a 'trans woman' launches a protest against being forced to use toilets meant for his sex, calling it "disgusting" and "dangerous".

trans5.jpg
              Last edited by Paprika; 03-10-2015, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Why don't they just make gender-neutral bathrooms for people who have a problem with using the bathroom of their sex. That would resolve this kind of thing amicably for everyone as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                  Why don't they just make gender-neutral bathrooms for people who have a problem with using the bathroom of their sex. That would resolve this kind of thing amicably for everyone as far as I can see.
                  How about anatomical males go to the mens room and anatomical women go to the ladies room. And stop all this BS. Being held hostage by a minority of confused individuals.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    How about anatomical males go to the mens room and anatomical women go to the ladies room. And stop all this BS. Being held hostage by a minority of confused individuals.
                    I'm currently forced to agree with seer. I have a hard time accepting the psychological-but-not-anatomical transgender argument, especially since it can be abused so easily.

I think we might end up with nothing but private rooms if this goes on.
                    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                      I have a hard time accepting the psychological-but-not-anatomical transgender argument, especially since it can be abused so easily.
                      Yes me too and am not that interested either, however since these people seem to stop at nothing until they get what they want, isn't it just easier to give them their own bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                        Yes me too and am not that interested either, however since these people seem to stop at nothing until they get what they want, isn't it just easier to give them their own bathroom.
                        Consider another context: isn't it just easier to give them civil unions or domestic partnerships? Surely they'd be satisfied with that

Comment

article-0-18CCDDC800000578-616_634x379.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                            Consider another context: isn't it just easier to give them civil unions or domestic partnerships? Surely they'd be satisfied with that
                            And how repealing don't ask and don't tell will not change anything! Nothing to see here...

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...tch-Hunt-Is-On!
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                              you have a good point since they do seem to be after Christians as Seer's link shows.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                And how repealing don't ask and don't tell will not change anything! Nothing to see here...

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...tch-Hunt-Is-On!
                                I thought that was a wonderful thing for the chaplain's son to hear about his father.

Comment