Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Who Didn't See This Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His sarcasm seems obvious to me
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm sure the People's Democratic Republic of New Yawk would LOVE the "honor". I mean, they're already marrying family members in this degenerate state.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        I don't know why, but my instincts are telling me to invoke Poe's law.
        I was exploring the possibilities, with some parody thrown in.

Polygamy would really have to become a popular idea across the US, then become a majority view in at least one state, then become legal in at least one state. It would take a very long time for that kind of thing to happen. On the other hand, if people like Seer keep insisting that Progressives should approve of polygamy, they might just convince the Progressives in time. Personally, I hope that doesn't happen.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post

Polygamy would really have to become a popular idea across the US, then become a majority view in at least one state, then become legal in at least one state. It would take a very long time for that kind of thing to happen. On the other hand, if people like Seer keep insisting that Progressives should approve of polygamy, they might just convince the Progressives in time. Personally, I hope that doesn't happen.
          No you don't have to have a majority, you just need courts to say that denying polygamists the right to marry is unconstitutional. After all it was the courts that over turned the will of the voters in state after state.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            No you don't have to have a majority, you just need courts to say that denying polygamists the right to marry is unconstitutional. After all it was the courts that over turned the will of the voters in state after state.
            The courts aren't inclined to do something like that without popular support, and it's not going to stick in a state until a majority is willing to put up with it. There has to be a societal trend pushing things along. As more and more people go along with the idea, more and more courts move the same way. At least at the beginning. Sure, later on the higher courts can impose things on more states without majority approval in those states.

Comment

The courts aren't inclined to do something like that without popular support, and it's not going to stick in a state until a majority is willing to put up with it. There has to be a societal trend pushing things along. As more and more people go along with the idea, more and more courts move the same way. At least at the beginning. Sure, later on the higher courts can impose things on more states without majority approval in those states.
              That is just false. The courts, from the get go, ruled against the majority.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Do you think interracial marriage should have been legalized when it was? An even greater percentage of the country was against it then.

Comment

From the get go? I'm not seeing it. Keep in mind that the will of the majority changes over time, and laws passed by a majority in the past may lose popularity over time, sometimes quickly.

Comment

Maybe, or...
                    • Let some of those on the left discover that a majority of those involved in polygamous relationships rely on public assistance (welfare and food stamps) to help raise the children and folks like Nancy Pelosi would likely trip over themselves rushing to support it (especially since they claim that food stamps is such a boon for the economy).
                    • Let some Muslims start screaming "Islamophobia" for not allowing them to have up to four wives and watch how many start supporting it either because of multiculturalism or fear of violent reprisals if they don't
                    • Let the Democrats win the presidency in 2016 and appoint a couple more Supreme Court justices and you may see polygamy being mandated by court order using foreign legal decisions as justification (many liberal judges have already cited foreign laws to support their decisions already)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Let some of those on the left discover that a majority of those involved in polygamous relationships rely on public assistance (welfare and food stamps) to help raise the children and folks like Nancy Pelosi would likely trip over themselves rushing to support it (especially since they claim that food stamps is such a boon for the economy).
                      I wouldn't be surprised.

Let some Muslims start screaming "Islamophobia" for not allowing them to have up to four wives and watch how many start supporting it either because of multiculturalism or fear of violent reprisals if they don't
                      Possible, but not really a big enough trend for the US. I like the Nancy Pelosi one better.

Let the Democrats win the presidency in 2016 and appoint a couple more Supreme Court justices and you may see polygamy being mandated by court order using foreign legal decisions as justification (many liberal judges have already cited foreign laws to support their decisions already)
                      Are there notable liberal countries in which polygamy is legal? I don't know about that one...

Comment

Btw, welcome to Tweb, Yttrium

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Btw, welcome to Tweb, Yttrium
                          Thanks. I was a member from the first year in the old forums, although I wasn't a frequent poster. I changed my forum handle to something that looks a bit less like my real name.

Comment

Here's one for ya.
                            -------------------------------
                            Mother Jones Explains Why Eating 3 Square Meals A Day Is Actually Racist
                            According to an essay by Mother Jones Senior Editor Kiera Butler, eating three meals a day is “anti-science, racist, and might actually be making you sick.”

Butler’s astounding proclamation that three square meals is “racist” is supported by her interview with Historian Abigail Carroll, who wrote the book Three Squares: The Invention of the American Meal:

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/03/2646...mpaign=Culture

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              According to an essay by Mother Jones Senior Editor Kiera Butler, eating three meals a day is “anti-science, racist, and might actually be making you sick.”
                              Well... good. I don't eat breakfast, so now I feel justified. I mean, by the sciency part, not the racismy part. Of course, considering the liberal nonsense involved in linking three meals to racism, I suppose I should take the science part with a grain of sea salt too.

Comment

When I was younger I used to eat just one big meal each day. Then I began eating 3 smaller meals and I have aged tremendously. Why was I not warned earlier?
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment