Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hands Up Don't Shoot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    No, but they can provide targets and additional motive. Or perhaps you've never heard of things like copycat killers?

Um, I don't see Chapman claiming that Catcher in the Rye was about Lennon. Fictional vagueries about teenage angst are not the same as intentionally villainizing the police.

Again, more vagueries. The MSM stoked SPECIFIC fears and prejudices into actionable circumstances.
    The MSM never asked for police officers to be murdered. Compare them to Fowles and King, who wrote about specific events that were reenacted. The MSM's characterization of police officers at its possible worst would pale in comparison to the characterization of the Jewish people in Ford's The International Jew.

The Media didn't force Brinsley to commit murder, just like Fowles, King, Salinger, and Ford didn't force the people they "inspired" to kill. I wouldn't have thought the idea that people are responsible for their own action would be controversial. I can only guess you make the connection you did because it suits your narrative rather than because it actually makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    That's the MSM's job: get more eyes watching.
    I couldn't help thinking about this.... THINK about this, PM -- are you conceding that the mainstream media's JOB is to get ratings? And that seems to suggest that "all is fair" in the ratings game? do you REALLY believe that?

And, quite honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if you DID believe that, because the media no longer does hard investigative reporting -- they DO, in fact, cater to the "yeah, I'll watch ANYTHING if there's blood and guts and trickery and deceit" crowd.

I think this reveals a lot about your worldview!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    That's the MSM's job: get more eyes watching.
    No, that's NOT their job - that's what they've become. The have become prostitutes.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    It isn't happening to non-black people at particularly high rates.
    How would you know that?

Er...both sides probably have degrees of guilt in the existence and maintenance of the racial tension, but how would you possibly know "the black community is the chief instigator" of it?
    Because they're relative newcomers (last couple of decades, before that Ferguson was almost entirely white, now it's in full white flight) and turned Ferguson into another ghetto craphole. I agree that white people are partially responsible for it, because the general response of white people is passive aggressive crap. Very few have the stones to bring up the issue publicly (they prefer to use black proxies like Thomas Sowell and the 5 other black conservatives in the country) and in the rare instance when they do the other white people devour them.

Hang on. It says black people who are stopped by police are found with contraband 26% less often than white drivers, not that the total number of stopped black drivers with contraband is 26% less than the total number of stopped white drivers with contraband. If one baseball player has more than twice as many at-bats as another baseball player but gets a hit 26% less often than that other baseball player, you can't say that the second player is actually worse than the first player.
    I didn't say anything about who's worse. Your math is problematic though, because it assumes a random sample, when in reality I'm going by the assumption that the cops search, say, 100 whites and 100 blacks on account of catching some sort of signal that they're hiding something, then an additional 100 people just because they're black (the original report's assumption). But if the additional 100 is purely the product of racism the black contraband numbers should be way lower (50%, actually), since they're just harassing innocent people for being black. Ironically this is where they could probably use more diversity on the police force since black cops have more room to act and to interact with the community.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    I don't think news reports can turn a non-murderer into a murderer.
    No, but they can provide targets and additional motive. Or perhaps you've never heard of things like copycat killers?

No doubt you believe J. D. Salinger is responsible for John Lennon's death,
    Um, I don't see Chapman claiming that Catcher in the Rye was about Lennon. Fictional vagueries about teenage angst are not the same as intentionally villainizing the police.

John Fowles is responsible for the murder of dozens of women, Stephen King responsible for the murder of several students, and Henry Ford responsible for the murder of six million Jewish people?
    Again, more vagueries. The MSM stoked SPECIFIC fears and prejudices into actionable circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    You don' think the tensions were stoked by the media coverage of the Ferguson and NYC incidents? If not, I have a bridge to sell you...
    I don't think news reports can turn a non-murderer into a murderer.

No doubt you believe J. D. Salinger is responsible for John Lennon's death, John Fowles is responsible for the murder of dozens of women, Stephen King responsible for the murder of several students, and Henry Ford responsible for the murder of six million Jewish people?

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Some probably were, but Holder's report is a long way from actually proving it
    Those emails that were sent and circulated by certain officers were undeniably racist. Therefore, it's undeniable that certain officers in the department were racist. Additionally, if video surveillance of an incident shows that a compliant black suspect was indeed being mistreated by an officer who used ECWs on him, then that's an instance in which an officer was unjustified. There's no getting around this--the Ferguson police department had some bad apples.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Nobody was responsible for that murder except for Brinsley. It's foolish to claim otherwise.
    You don' think the tensions were stoked by the media coverage of the Ferguson and NYC incidents? If not, I have a bridge to sell you...

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Tell that to Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu's families.
    Nobody was responsible for that murder except for Brinsley. It's foolish to claim otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by square_pinhead View Post
    I'm really not sure why you and some others are so insistent on calling it a lie, rather than the more likely scenario that some witnesses were simply mistaken. Progress is impossible if both sides keep accusing the other of deliberate conspiracy.
    Holder's report makes no mention of "mistaken" witnesses. On the contrary, it mentions eyewitnesses who were afraid to contradict the liberal narrative. And perhaps you're not aware that the "eyewitnesses" who were paraded around by the media shortly after the shooting weren't eyewitnesses at all. In Holder's own words:

"As detailed throughout this report, some of those accounts are inaccurate because they are inconsistent with the physical and forensic evidence; some of those accounts are materially inconsistent with that witness’s own prior statements with no explanation, credible or otherwise, as to why those accounts changed over time. Certain other witnesses who originally stated Brown had his hands up in surrender recanted their original accounts, admitting that they did not witness the shooting or parts of it, despite what they initially reported either to federal or local law enforcement or to the media. [...] Although some witnesses state that Brown held his hands up at shoulder level with his palms facing outward for a brief moment, these same witnesses describe Brown then dropping his hands and 'charging' at Wilson."
    http://www.justice.gov/sites/default...hael_brown.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by square_pinhead View Post
    As I've pointed out multiple times from the report, there are clear instances in which some of these arrests and citations of black people were NOT justified. Obviously not all police in the world are racist, but it seems clear that in this case, some officers in the department were.
    Some probably were, but Holder's report is a long way from actually proving it and offers zero grounds for suing the entire Ferguson police department. But Holder doesn't care about the facts or what can be reasonably proven in a court of law. This is legacy building, pure and simple. He wants to be known as the Black Attorney General who taught The Man a lesson.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    That's the MSM's job: get more eyes watching. If you're waiting around for the scorpion to apologize for stinging the frog, you're going to be waiting a long time.
    Tell that to Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu's families.

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    You have a theory and think it is "more likely". I have one that I think is "more likely". The fact remains that the MSM made this non-existent thing into a nationwide phenomenon, and still won't accept any of the blame for doing so.
    That's the MSM's job: get more eyes watching. If you're waiting around for the scorpion to apologize for stinging the frog, you're going to be waiting a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You have a theory and think it is "more likely". I have one that I think is "more likely". The fact remains that the MSM made this non-existent thing into a nationwide phenomenon, and still won't accept any of the blame for doing so.
    yeah

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    I know Sparko and Mountain Man are incapable of basic decency and maturity, but come on. I've been serious and straightforward in my posts to you. I'd really appreciate serious, straightforward responses to them.

Leave a comment: