Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hands Up Don't Shoot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Not everyone would kill in the same situation, so discounting the last two of your points, certain people can be said to be more inclined to kill.
    I never said anything about everyone killing in the same situation. People's motives for killing are their own. If I were in a jewelry store I would never consider robbing or killing someone to get rich. Some others would though. It doesn't mean they are crazy. Just greedy and evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I never said anything about everyone killing in the same situation. People's motives for killing are their own. If I were in a jewelry store I would never consider robbing or killing someone to get rich. Some others would though. It doesn't mean they are crazy. Just greedy and evil.
      Right, and the argument I was making that you quoted was that certain types of people are inclined to kill. Media like then news or comic books or novels won't cause a disinclined person to kill, so they cannot be blamed. The cause and blame rest with the murderer.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        Right, and the argument I was making that you quoted was that certain types of people are inclined to kill. Media like then news or comic books or novels won't cause a disinclined person to kill, so they cannot be blamed. The cause and blame rest with the murderer.
        You said, "People don't kill people because of a news story. People kill people because of mental problems."

I responded that there are many reasons why people kill. It doesn't mean they have mental problems. And yes, some people could be influenced by news stories. If they believe the news stories and get angry at "racist cops" then they might go out and kill a cop. You are not a mind reader, PM. You can't say why or why not someone kills someone else, nor whether it means they are crazy or have "mental problems"

If all you read about and see on TV are stories about how fascist and racist cops are, you could begin to believe that most or all cops are stormtroopers. Whether you want to admit it or not, the MSM does influence public opinions and attitudes.

Comment

You said, "People don't kill people because of a news story. People kill people because of mental problems."

I responded that there are many reasons why people kill. It doesn't mean they have mental problems. And yes, some people could be influenced by news stories. If they believe the news stories and get angry at "racist cops" then they might go out and kill a cop. You are not a mind reader, PM. You can't say why or why not someone kills someone else, nor whether it means they are crazy or have "mental problems"

If all you read about and see on TV are stories about how fascist and racist cops are, you could begin to believe that most or all cops are stormtroopers. Whether you want to admit it or not, the MSM does influence public opinions and attitudes.
          Likewise, if all one reads about and sees on TV from one's narrowly selected media sources are stories about angry black people sagging their pants and looting and acting aggressively, one could begin to believe that most or all black people are looting stores and behaving inexcusably, rather than a minority of them in the midst of a majority of peaceful protesters. Who knows, this could even make some people believe that violence or slander against black people is justified. Let's not act as if only one group of media is guilty of wrongly influencing public opinions and attitudes.
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
            Likewise, if all one reads about and sees on TV from one's narrowly selected media sources are stories about angry black people sagging their pants and looting and acting aggressively, one could begin to believe that most or all black people are looting stores and behaving inexcusably, rather than a minority of them in the midst of a majority of peaceful protesters. Who knows, this could even make some people believe that violence or slander against black people is justified. Let's not act as if only one group of media is guilty of wrongly influencing public opinions and attitudes.
            sheesh, are you TRYING to pick a fight? I agree with you. People can be influenced by what they read and see, especially in the Mainstream Media.

Comment

People kill for a lot of reasons. It doesn't mean they have mental problems. They might be embarrassed a secret gets out. They might do it for "love". They might be greedy. They might do it for political reasons. They might do it because they are simply evil. They might do it to protect someone else or themselves. They might do it by accident....
              "Mental problems" are for the most part just an excuse. That is a way to let people avoid the responsibility for what they have done. True there are some real and meaningful mental problems, but they are far and away the exception.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment