Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hands Up Don't Shoot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You mean, because the MSM from DAY ONE was determined that this was a white police officer gunning down a completely innocent black youth?

It would have been FAR better to look for FACTS than manufacture a STORY.
    They came to that conclusion on the basis of eyewitness testimony. If Brown raised his hands in mock surrender, it's easy to see how some witnesses might've misperceived that as genuine surrender.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
      The "jokes" are horrifyingly racist.
      Right, I forgot how easy it is for you to go into a seizure.

The report elsewhere notes that black people make up the majority of arrests/stops for drug checks but are 26% less likely to be found in possession of contraband.
      It's not elsewhere, it's in the part you quoted and it has nothing to do with what I said was missing (namely, crime rates, and no, rate of found contraband is not the same thing).

Wrongfully detaining and brutalizing minorities doesn't suggest anything to you?
      Not really. Why should it? In and of itself it doesn't mean anything.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

They came to that conclusion on the basis of eyewitness testimony.
        Nope -- they came to that conclusion based on the most DRAMATIC testimony that supported their forgone conclusion.

If Brown raised his hands in mock surrender, it's easy to see how some witnesses might've misperceived that as genuine surrender.
        MOMENTARILY, and he was, at the time, mocking the officer saying "you're not going to shoot me, you're too much of a ******".....

ANY due diligence would have caused them to step back a little and do some more fact gathering before trying/convicting/condemning Wilson.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The report elsewhere notes that black people make up the majority of arrests/stops for drug checks but are 26% less likely to be found in possession of contraband.
          Square, you do agree that percentage wise African Americans are more likely to commit crimes than whites.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Whaddya wanna bet the leftist idiots shrug this off and STILL carry on the "hands up" idiocy?
            Yesterday, I heard from a prominant former black congressman (he was one of the founding members of the Congressional Black [Democrats] Caucus) who cited the Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin cases as an example of racially biased police brutality. He also claimed that the distrust that exists between black communities and their respective police departments is entirely the fault of the police, and that it's up to the police to repair those relations.

Racial relations will not improve until people come to grips with the truth.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Yesterday, I heard from a prominant former black congressman (he was one of the founding members of the Congressional Black [Democrats] Caucus) who cited the Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin cases as an example of racially biased police brutality. He also claimed that the distrust that exists between black communities and their respective police departments is entirely the fault of the police, and that it's up to the police to repair those relations.

Racial relations will not improve until people come to grips with the truth.
              If people want to talk about police racism, they really really ought to cite actual examples of police racism.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by square_pinhead View Post
                Not really. Wilson did acknowledge that Brown held his hands up at some point early in the confrontation, so it's understandable that in the heat of the moment, some witnesses incorrectly remembered it as hands held in surrender rather than whatever it was for. So it's not "ALL bs." You act as if the citizenry all conspired to create a movement out of whole cloth, when the truth, as is often the case, is more complex and messy than that. Sometimes people can be genuinely mistaken. People on both sides.
                Wrong. They didn't "incorrectly remember", they were afraid to contradict the narrative.

Source: Breitbart

According to an 86-page report issued by the Department of Justice, six of the most credible witnesses to the shooting of Michael Brown were afraid to give testimony in support of Ferguson, MO, police officer Darren Wilson, because they knew it would undercut the “Hands up, don’t shoot” narrative being advanced by their neighbors and, eventually, by the media.

Several expressed concern for their safety should they choose to contradict that narrative publicly. As one witness noted, there were signs in the neighborhood reading “snitches get stitches.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journal...oot-narrative/

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  This data is meaningless because it omits the massive disparity in black and white crime rates. The reason why African Americans are targeted a lot more often is because they commit crimes a lot more often. Just about every time these misleading statistics are brought up it usually turns out that the cops actually go easier on blacks than they would on whites if crime rates were similar.
                  Exactly. They completely ingore the question of whether or not the arrests and citations are justified.

Comment

f9c9ebefdacb16c40f0a520fa0dedacb4d93dbedd3def60b07a34b55fa5b1cbf.jpg
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I found it both sad and frustrating that a man with his career could be so ignorant and uninformed.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Square, you do agree that percentage wise African Americans are more likely to commit crimes than whites.
                        Uh...no. That's why, in the post that you yourself quoted, I cite the report that black people do not, in fact, commit more crimes percentage-wise.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        If people want to talk about police racism, they really really ought to cite actual examples of police racism.
                        The Ferguson report that I linked to specifically cites actual examples.

Wrong. They didn't "incorrectly remember", they were afraid to contradict the narrative.

Source: Breitbart

According to an 86-page report issued by the Department of Justice, six of the most credible witnesses to the shooting of Michael Brown were afraid to give testimony in support of Ferguson, MO, police officer Darren Wilson, because they knew it would undercut the “Hands up, don’t shoot” narrative being advanced by their neighbors and, eventually, by the media.

Several expressed concern for their safety should they choose to contradict that narrative publicly. As one witness noted, there were signs in the neighborhood reading “snitches get stitches.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journal...oot-narrative/

© Copyright Original Source

If only you were dedicated to actually reading posts instead of finding lame puns to make on people's names. You then might've noticed that I said "some witnesses" rather than "literally every single witness."
                        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

The Ferguson report that I linked to specifically cites actual examples.
                          I hadn't even read that--my post was just a response to MM's comment about somebody referring to the Brown and Martin cases as police racism.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Exactly. They completely ingore the question of whether or not the arrests and citations are justified.
                            When police arrest someone whom they have no reason to arrest and he turns out to be innocent, and when police use ECWs on someone who didn't act aggressively (both from the Ferguson report that I cited), it should be clear that such arrests and citations were not justified.

Comment

Uh...no. That's why, in the post that you yourself quoted, I cite the report that black people do not, in fact, commit more crimes percentage-wise.
                              The report says no such thing. And you can easily get crime statistics yourself from the FBI.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...ables/table-43
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by square_pinhead View Post
                                If only you were dedicated to actually reading posts instead of finding lame puns to make on people's names. You then might've noticed that I said "some witnesses" rather than "literally every single witness."
                                And if you weren't such a dull witted moron, maybe you would have realized that not a single credible witness supported the "Hands up, don't shoot" narrative.

Comment