Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hands Up Don't Shoot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    You don' think the tensions were stoked by the media coverage of the Ferguson and NYC incidents? If not, I have a bridge to sell you...
    I don't think news reports can turn a non-murderer into a murderer.

No doubt you believe J. D. Salinger is responsible for John Lennon's death, John Fowles is responsible for the murder of dozens of women, Stephen King responsible for the murder of several students, and Henry Ford responsible for the murder of six million Jewish people?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      I don't think news reports can turn a non-murderer into a murderer.
      No, but they can provide targets and additional motive. Or perhaps you've never heard of things like copycat killers?

No doubt you believe J. D. Salinger is responsible for John Lennon's death,
      Um, I don't see Chapman claiming that Catcher in the Rye was about Lennon. Fictional vagueries about teenage angst are not the same as intentionally villainizing the police.

John Fowles is responsible for the murder of dozens of women, Stephen King responsible for the murder of several students, and Henry Ford responsible for the murder of six million Jewish people?
      Again, more vagueries. The MSM stoked SPECIFIC fears and prejudices into actionable circumstances.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
        It isn't happening to non-black people at particularly high rates.
        How would you know that?

Er...both sides probably have degrees of guilt in the existence and maintenance of the racial tension, but how would you possibly know "the black community is the chief instigator" of it?
        Because they're relative newcomers (last couple of decades, before that Ferguson was almost entirely white, now it's in full white flight) and turned Ferguson into another ghetto craphole. I agree that white people are partially responsible for it, because the general response of white people is passive aggressive crap. Very few have the stones to bring up the issue publicly (they prefer to use black proxies like Thomas Sowell and the 5 other black conservatives in the country) and in the rare instance when they do the other white people devour them.

Hang on. It says black people who are stopped by police are found with contraband 26% less often than white drivers, not that the total number of stopped black drivers with contraband is 26% less than the total number of stopped white drivers with contraband. If one baseball player has more than twice as many at-bats as another baseball player but gets a hit 26% less often than that other baseball player, you can't say that the second player is actually worse than the first player.
        I didn't say anything about who's worse. Your math is problematic though, because it assumes a random sample, when in reality I'm going by the assumption that the cops search, say, 100 whites and 100 blacks on account of catching some sort of signal that they're hiding something, then an additional 100 people just because they're black (the original report's assumption). But if the additional 100 is purely the product of racism the black contraband numbers should be way lower (50%, actually), since they're just harassing innocent people for being black. Ironically this is where they could probably use more diversity on the police force since black cops have more room to act and to interact with the community.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

That's the MSM's job: get more eyes watching.
          No, that's NOT their job - that's what they've become. The have become prostitutes.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's the MSM's job: get more eyes watching.
            I couldn't help thinking about this.... THINK about this, PM -- are you conceding that the mainstream media's JOB is to get ratings? And that seems to suggest that "all is fair" in the ratings game? do you REALLY believe that?

And, quite honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if you DID believe that, because the media no longer does hard investigative reporting -- they DO, in fact, cater to the "yeah, I'll watch ANYTHING if there's blood and guts and trickery and deceit" crowd.

I think this reveals a lot about your worldview!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, but they can provide targets and additional motive. Or perhaps you've never heard of things like copycat killers?

Um, I don't see Chapman claiming that Catcher in the Rye was about Lennon. Fictional vagueries about teenage angst are not the same as intentionally villainizing the police.

Again, more vagueries. The MSM stoked SPECIFIC fears and prejudices into actionable circumstances.
              The MSM never asked for police officers to be murdered. Compare them to Fowles and King, who wrote about specific events that were reenacted. The MSM's characterization of police officers at its possible worst would pale in comparison to the characterization of the Jewish people in Ford's The International Jew.

The Media didn't force Brinsley to commit murder, just like Fowles, King, Salinger, and Ford didn't force the people they "inspired" to kill. I wouldn't have thought the idea that people are responsible for their own action would be controversial. I can only guess you make the connection you did because it suits your narrative rather than because it actually makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                No, that's NOT their job - that's what they've become. The have become prostitutes.
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I couldn't help thinking about this.... THINK about this, PM -- are you conceding that the mainstream media's JOB is to get ratings? And that seems to suggest that "all is fair" in the ratings game? do you REALLY believe that?

And, quite honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if you DID believe that, because the media no longer does hard investigative reporting -- they DO, in fact, cater to the "yeah, I'll watch ANYTHING if there's blood and guts and trickery and deceit" crowd.

I think this reveals a lot about your worldview!
                The MSM is a business, and a business's job is to make money. I actually don't watch any mainstream news media because I don't find them reliable. If the market decides that they want less sensationalism and less opinion, like me, the MSM will be forced to respond. Until then, they have no choice but to go where the majority demands.

Comment

cwvnu6ebbsvl7c0347qq.jpg

Comment

The MSM never asked for police officers to be murdered. Compare them to Fowles and King, who wrote about specific events that were reenacted. The MSM's characterization of police officers at its possible worst would pale in comparison to the characterization of the Jewish people in Ford's The International Jew.

The Media didn't force Brinsley to commit murder, just like Fowles, King, Salinger, and Ford didn't force the people they "inspired" to kill. I wouldn't have thought the idea that people are responsible for their own action would be controversial. I can only guess you make the connection you did because it suits your narrative rather than because it actually makes sense.
                    You're delusional. Re-enacting events in a book is nowhere near what happened with Brinsley. He was part of the larger hysteria that was stoked by the MSM's false story on the fabricated "Hands up don't shoot" frenzy. Fowles, King, and Salinger wrote fictional stories, not to race-bait, and certainly not to pour more fuel on a powder keg. Ford on the other hand was sued and settled out of court, but of note, nothing from The Dearborn Independent called for Jews to be killed. So, again, you are comparing apples and oranges.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You're delusional. Re-enacting events in a book is nowhere near what happened with Brinsley. He was part of the larger hysteria that was stoked by the MSM's false story on the fabricated "Hands up don't shoot" frenzy. Fowles, King, and Salinger wrote fictional stories, not to race-bait, and certainly not to pour more fuel on a powder keg. Ford on the other hand was sued and settled out of court, but of note, nothing from The Dearborn Independent called for Jews to be killed. So, again, you are comparing apples and oranges.
                      I find your objections weak and I still don't understand the idea that people aren't responsible for their own actions. Brinsley decided on his actions without being forced. It doesn't matter if the context was rock music, comic books, horror movies, video games, or novels. The commonality among people who kill isn't the media they consume, it's their mental issues.

Comment

I find your objections weak
                        This is me not caring...

and I still don't understand the idea that people aren't responsible for their own actions.
                        Oh, they are! But those that stoked the fire hold a moral responsibility for the results of the fire too.

Brinsley decided on his actions without being forced. It doesn't matter if the context was rock music, comic books, horror movies, video games, or novels. The commonality among people who kill isn't the media they consume, it's their mental issues.
                        But he had no other reason to kill those two cops. His girlfriend, yes. that was pre-meditated. But the hysteria generated by the lie of "HUDS" gave him another target, and he is just one ember in that blaze of misplaced indignation.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by square_pinhead View Post
                          Originally posted by Mountain Man
                          Some probably were, but Holder's report is a long way from actually proving it
                          Those emails that were sent and circulated by certain officers were undeniably racist. Therefore, it's undeniable that certain officers in the department were racist. Additionally, if video surveillance of an incident shows that a compliant black suspect was indeed being mistreated by an officer who used ECWs on him, then that's an instance in which an officer was unjustified. There's no getting around this--the Ferguson police department had some bad apples.
                          You know what would help? If you actually responded to my entire post instead cherry-picking part of a sentence out of context and acting like it's a summation of my entire argument. Here's what I said:

"Some probably were [racist], but Holder's report is a long way from actually proving it and offers zero grounds for suing the entire Ferguson police department."

If there were a few "bad apples" in the Ferguson PD then go after the bad apples, not the entire department. But again, this isn't about justice, it's about Holder trying to cement his "legacy".
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This is me not caring...

Oh, they are! But those that stoked the fire hold a moral responsibility for the results of the fire too.

But he had no other reason to kill those two cops. His girlfriend, yes. that was pre-meditated. But the hysteria generated by the lie of "HUDS" gave him another target, and he is just one ember in that blaze of misplaced indignation.
                            He was mentally disturbed. That seems like a pretty big reason to me.

People don't kill people because of a news story. People kill people because of mental problems. Your attempt to pin blame down through your pet cause is transparent. You are no different from the hysterics who blamed comic books, rock music, and video games for violence. You're ignoring the one commonality to push your agenda.
                            Last edited by Psychic Missile; 03-10-2015, 04:00 AM.

Comment

People don't kill people because of a news story. People kill people because of mental problems.
                              People kill for a lot of reasons. It doesn't mean they have mental problems. They might be embarrassed a secret gets out. They might do it for "love". They might be greedy. They might do it for political reasons. They might do it because they are simply evil. They might do it to protect someone else or themselves. They might do it by accident....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                People kill for a lot of reasons. It doesn't mean they have mental problems. They might be embarrassed a secret gets out. They might do it for "love". They might be greedy. They might do it for political reasons. They might do it because they are simply evil. They might do it to protect someone else or themselves. They might do it by accident....
                                Not everyone would kill in the same situation, so discounting the last two of your points, certain people can be said to be more inclined to kill.

Comment