Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bacon!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon!!!

There seems to be a number bacon aficiandos here. So, I thought y'all would find this interesting and tinder to a discussion on the pandering to Muslims in the free world.

K54

http://americanprosperity.com/anothe...ar-university/

I hate to derail this thread so early, but....

bacon!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I hate to derail this thread so early, but....

bacon!
      That's Politically Incorrect(tm), son!

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post

K54
        Who cares, son?
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I stand by my opinion of "Politically Incorrect," but this is just a dig at Muslims to put the thread here. It does not belong as it has nothing to do with discussing the religion of Islam.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            I stand by my opinion of "Politically Incorrect," but this is just a dig at Muslims to put the thread here. It does not belong as it has nothing to do with discussing the religion of Islam.
            Can a mod move it to the "Comparative Religions 101?"
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

There is a question I have been contemplating about......
              How and who decides what to regulate in "speech" and when and where the rules apply or don't?

For example, some swear/bad words are not used in polite publications but these may be used in some movies, likewise, some people are "allowed" to use sensitive words while others are not---for ex (I have heard) African American comedians are allowed to use the n-word while European-Americans are not...
              Are these rules arbitrary?... or is there some reasoning behind it?....or are these things negotiated under particular circumstances?.....

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                There is a question I have been contemplating about......
                How and who decides what to regulate in "speech" and when and where the rules apply or don't?

For example, some swear/bad words are not used in polite publications but these may be used in some movies, likewise, some people are "allowed" to use sensitive words while others are not---for ex (I have heard) African American comedians are allowed to use the n-word while European-Americans are not...
                Are these rules arbitrary?... or is there some reasoning behind it?....or are these things negotiated under particular circumstances?.....
                My general rule of thumb is that I'm not going to care whether my words or actions offend anyone unless they threathen to blow me to smithereens for them.

Comment

@ Chrawnus
                  Even if the rules are arbitrarily decided by individuals...human beings live in a group--communities/society. Words convey ideas and attitudes---some of them are bad and can cause harm, others are good...
                  What if the use of certain words that convey particular ideas/attitudes causes harm ---not to yourself--but to another---would you reconsider their use or feel responsible for self-censorship?
                  and what degree of responsibility would you feel if individuals in your society/community used these words that caused harm to others?

What is your opinion of social narratives---or more specifically, bad ideas/narratives that are blindly accepted by a group or society---for example, American exceptionalism. This idea may be appealing to Americans---but it results in toxic actions towards non-Americans because it promotes the idea of American entitlement---particularly entitlements at the expense of others such as Americans are "entitled" to safety/security even if that means all other nations on earth have to be bombed to smithereens in order to get it......

Comment

@ Chrawnus
                    Even if the rules are arbitrarily decided by individuals...human beings live in a group--communities/society. Words convey ideas and attitudes---some of them are bad and can cause harm, others are good...
                    What if the use of certain words that convey particular ideas/attitudes causes harm ---not to yourself--but to another---would you reconsider their use or feel responsible for self-censorship?
                    and what degree of responsibility would you feel if individuals in your society/community used these words that caused harm to others?
                    I don't know how to answer this because I don't know what you mean by "cause harm". If by this phrase you mean that the person in question would take offense by what I say then no, I wouldn't feel responsible for self-censorship simply because of the fact that speaking what you perceive to be the truth today is likely to make someone take offense at your words. If this is not what you mean by the phrase "cause harm" you're going to have to elaborate.

What is your opinion of social narratives---or more specifically, bad ideas/narratives that are blindly accepted by a group or society---for example, American exceptionalism. This idea may be appealing to Americans---but it results in toxic actions towards non-Americans because it promotes the idea of American entitlement---particularly entitlements at the expense of others such as Americans are "entitled" to safety/security even if that means all other nations on earth have to be bombed to smithereens in order to get it......
                    I don't have any particular opinion on this because I've not studied the issue enough for me to form an opinion one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post

K54
                      thank you - thank you verymuch
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Ah!!! I didn't realize --- I just assumed this was poop deck stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          I don't know how to answer this because I don't know what you mean by "cause harm".
                          I think, to a large degree, the world has become really sissified. When we were kids, we had nicknames for each other that would horrify the political correctness police today - heck, we'd probably all be in PC Prison. But there was no harm - it kinda toughened us up.

I'm not talking about things like the "N word" - just dumb stuff we said, and you understood it's "part of life".

People get WAY to touchy about what others say.

Comment

@ Chrawnus
                            As we all know words can hurt

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Ah!!! I didn't realize --- I just assumed this was poop deck stuff.
                              Isn't this the same excuse you use when you do a panty raid in the Sorority?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment