Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Who are the "high ratings" liberal commentators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the "high ratings" liberal commentators?

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Really Leonhard, have you listened to liberal commentators?

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I used to listen to Mike Malloy when he was in Atlanta during the mid 80s. This was before he went way off the deep end. He was back then pretty good at presenting his case trying to rely on facts and not emotionalism.
    Who are they? I mean, everybody knows there's a bunch of "conservative" talk show hosts and commentators, but who are the liberals who bring in the ratings like Rush or - don't know if he's even around anymore - Glen Beck or Hannity?

I'm not asking about "who's right" and "who's wrong" - simply who are the liberal commentators with audiences comparable to, say, Rush?

(in another thread, I've been pointing out that "it's all about ratings".)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Jon Stewart, and I think that's it. As for radio, my theory is that liberal audiences are more likely to listen to music on the radio (those who don't are probably listening to something like NPR).
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Who are they? I mean, everybody knows there's a bunch of "conservative" talk show hosts and commentators, but who are the liberals who bring in the ratings like Rush or - don't know if he's even around anymore - Glen Beck or Hannity?

I'm not asking about "who's right" and "who's wrong" - simply who are the liberal commentators with audiences comparable to, say, Rush?

According to this, Thom Hartmann seems to be the one that has the most listeners. I am not sure if that means anything.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Jon Stewart, and I think that's it. As for radio, my theory is that liberal audiences are more likely to listen to music on the radio (those who don't are probably listening to something like NPR).
        Hmmmm... and he just announced he's quitting?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hmmmm... and he just announced he's quitting?
          Yep. I remember when Al Franken tried to launch a liberal radio network. There just wasn't a demand for it.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            According to this, Thom Hartmann seems to be the one that has the most listeners. I am not sure if that means anything.
            Thanks. That's interesting. I was wondering about Colmes, and that has him just behind Hartmann, of whom I have never heard.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Yep. I remember when Al Franken tried to launch a liberal radio network. There just wasn't a demand for it.
              And I'm interested in hearing perspectives - why that is. I have some thoughts, but gonna hold off for a while.

Comment

Thanks. That's interesting. I was wondering about Colmes, and that has him just behind Hartmann, of whom I have never heard.
                Right? I would've thought Colmes would beat out everyone.
                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Right? I would've thought Colmes would beat out everyone.
                  I get annoyed watching his eyebrows.

I used to watch "Hannity & Colmes", but got really tired of all the yelling over each other.

Comment

And I'm interested in hearing perspectives - why that is. I have some thoughts, but gonna hold off for a while.
                    I think maybe it's because of cultural reasons? We are flooded with liberal thought on a daily basis. So hearing an alternative seems refreshing?

Comment

I think maybe it's because of cultural reasons? We are flooded with liberal thought on a daily basis. So hearing an alternative seems refreshing?
                      That would be the logical conclusion from a conservative perspective, so I'm wondering what else there is.

Comment

I get annoyed watching his eyebrows.

I used to watch "Hannity & Colmes", but got really tired of all the yelling over each other.
                        Lol. His whole face makes me want to punch something. I had to stop myself for the same reason.

Comment

I suspect part of the issue is that conservatives are more geographically spread out, which is helpful for sustaining enough listeners for each affiliate station.

Still, I wish it weren't such a slanted situation. It would give me a better alternative when I run into the occasional crisis of being out of audiobooks in the car. ;-)

Comment

That would be the logical conclusion from a conservative perspective, so I'm wondering what else there is.
                            That is the only thing that came to mind. If there is more, I must not be aware of it.

Comment

Liberals, for the most part, want their news straight up and without the ranting, which works against personality journalism. Wassername, hmm ... Amy Goodman ... of Democracy Now would be one of the few exceptions, but it's hard to attract advertisers when you're anti-corporate, and the further to the left, the more anti-corporate they are.

I see some folks mentioning Colmes. :banghead: He was hired as a punching bag for Hannity, deliberate chosen as someone Hannity could beat up. He was, quite literally, a comedian before they brought him in on FOX. Nobody on the left respects him, either.

Comment