Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

For PM "Who is a Christian"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For PM "Who is a Christian"

This question is being considered in a Christian only forum. Let's see how it goes here.

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Right. No matter who's in power, there's bound to be a decently-sized group in opposition. If you want to call Christian politicians pseudo, I think a definition of a true Christian is in order.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

To PM's quote there....

I have known many politicians who can "talk the talk" and quote a bible verse to appeal to a particular audience.. I've even known a few in East Texas who were NOTORIOUS for attending Church in the months leading up to their campaign so they could brag about "being an active member of [whatever] church" - one guy would actually join the choir until the election was over.

On the OTHER hand, there are guys like our late Sheriff, and our current Police Chief who will teach a Bible study, or serve as a speaker for a Sunday Morning sermon, and their "walk" is VERY consistent with their talk.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      To PM's quote there....

I have known many politicians who can "talk the talk" and quote a bible verse to appeal to a particular audience.. I've even known a few in East Texas who were NOTORIOUS for attending Church in the months leading up to their campaign so they could brag about "being an active member of [whatever] church" - one guy would actually join the choir until the election was over.

On the OTHER hand, there are guys like our late Sheriff, and our current Police Chief who will teach a Bible study, or serve as a speaker for a Sunday Morning sermon, and their "walk" is VERY consistent with their talk.
      So would you define a Christian as someone who goes to church regularly?

Comment

How on earth are you able to get that out of what CP wrote?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

Someone sincere in their faith would surely show dedication in their worship.

Comment

Perhaps, but that is not how CP differentiated between the politicians who were simply "talking the talk" vs the Sheriff and Police Chief who were actually "walking the walk".

Comment

A true Christian is someone that Jesus Christ knows He owns.

and Jesus Christ knows He owns them because there was a time in their life that they relenquished ownership of their selves and decided to let themselves be owned by Jesus Christ ....forever
              To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

It is called bias.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Not necessarily. For instance take someone who has political aspirations who figures that attending a popular church regularly would improve his chances. He may be nominally religious, an agnostic or even an atheist but still sees an advantage to attending church regularly.

So he routinely goes to service so that he can be seen attending and make contacts but pretty much zones out while the minister/pastor/priest gives his sermon thinking instead about the game being played on TV later that afternoon, if he can still get a round of golf in or whatever.

The point being that such a person, although he goes to church regularly, could hardly be considered a Christian based upon his church attendance.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No sir.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Psychic Gymnastics.

Comment

"going to church" is not necessarily worship.

Comment

A true Christian is someone who confesses with his mouth that Jesus is Lord and believes in his heart that God raised Him from the dead. Note that this describes belief coupled with action because faith without works is dead.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Right. No matter who's in power, there's bound to be a decently-sized group in opposition. If you want to call Christian politicians pseudo, I think a definition of a true Christian is in order.
                            I also find this to be a very interesting question. It's certainly common to hear people claim that Mormons and JW's aren't really Christians, for example. However, I've also heard Roman Catholics who say that Protestants aren't really Christians, and Protestants who say the same about Roman Catholics. I've heard Calvinists who claim that Arminians aren't really Christians. I've heard Young Earthers who say that OEC's and Theistic Evolution proponents aren't really Christian.

Generally, I consider anyone who self-identifies as Christian to be a Christian-- but, as I am non-Christian, I can understand how this might ruffle some feathers. So, what is the definition of a "true" Christian, and how can I-- as a non-Christian-- tell whether that definition is any more correct than someone else's definition of a "true" Christian.
                            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                              I also find this to be a very interesting question. It's certainly common to hear people claim that Mormons and JW's aren't really Christians, for example. However, I've also heard Roman Catholics who say that Protestants aren't really Christians, and Protestants who say the same about Roman Catholics. I've heard Calvinists who claim that Arminians aren't really Christians. I've heard Young Earthers who say that OEC's and Theistic Evolution proponents aren't really Christian.

Generally, I consider anyone who self-identifies as Christian to be a Christian-- but, as I am non-Christian, I can understand how this might ruffle some feathers. So, what is the definition of a "true" Christian, and how can I-- as a non-Christian-- tell whether that definition is any more correct than someone else's definition of a "true" Christian.
                              Apparently this is true in your own preferred faith as well,

Source: https://readingheathenism.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/4-real-reasons-heathens-hate-lokeans-by-a-lokean/

1) The Heathen Community is Notoriously Bad at Social Justice

It is no secret to anyone, whether they want to admit it or not, that Heathenry has a problem with bigotry. When I first felt drawn to Ásatrú as a religion, it took me nearly a year to give it a try because every time I searched for information I turned up documented evidence of heathens who hate minorities. While there certainly are skinhead groups who co-opt heathen imagery without actually practicing the religion, there are also well-known heathen leaders and authors like Stephen McNallen and Wyatt Kaldenberg espousing views that advocate separatism and exclusion. The AFA, the largest Ásatrú organization in the United States, is so notorious for its racism, in fact, that many heathen organizations in Scandinavia refused to attend a gathering at which they would be present. While many heathens are inclined to say “racist/misogynist/queerphobic heathens aren’t real heathens, just people using our religion for their agenda,” the fact remains that these unsavory figures are everywhere in our religion, particularly in the US.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment