Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

For PM "Who is a Christian"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Pythagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Right. No matter who's in power, there's bound to be a decently-sized group in opposition. If you want to call Christian politicians pseudo, I think a definition of a true Christian is in order.
    I also find this to be a very interesting question. It's certainly common to hear people claim that Mormons and JW's aren't really Christians, for example. However, I've also heard Roman Catholics who say that Protestants aren't really Christians, and Protestants who say the same about Roman Catholics. I've heard Calvinists who claim that Arminians aren't really Christians. I've heard Young Earthers who say that OEC's and Theistic Evolution proponents aren't really Christian.

Generally, I consider anyone who self-identifies as Christian to be a Christian-- but, as I am non-Christian, I can understand how this might ruffle some feathers. So, what is the definition of a "true" Christian, and how can I-- as a non-Christian-- tell whether that definition is any more correct than someone else's definition of a "true" Christian.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    A true Christian is someone who confesses with his mouth that Jesus is Lord and believes in his heart that God raised Him from the dead. Note that this describes belief coupled with action because faith without works is dead.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Someone sincere in their faith would surely show dedication in their worship.
    "going to church" is not necessarily worship.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

How on earth are you able to get that out of what CP wrote?
    Psychic Gymnastics.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    So would you define a Christian as someone who goes to church regularly?
    No sir.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Not necessarily. For instance take someone who has political aspirations who figures that attending a popular church regularly would improve his chances. He may be nominally religious, an agnostic or even an atheist but still sees an advantage to attending church regularly.

So he routinely goes to service so that he can be seen attending and make contacts but pretty much zones out while the minister/pastor/priest gives his sermon thinking instead about the game being played on TV later that afternoon, if he can still get a round of golf in or whatever.

The point being that such a person, although he goes to church regularly, could hardly be considered a Christian based upon his church attendance.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied

It is called bias.

Leave a comment:

• jordanriver
    replied
    A true Christian is someone that Jesus Christ knows He owns.

and Jesus Christ knows He owns them because there was a time in their life that they relenquished ownership of their selves and decided to let themselves be owned by Jesus Christ ....forever

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Perhaps, but that is not how CP differentiated between the politicians who were simply "talking the talk" vs the Sheriff and Police Chief who were actually "walking the walk".

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    To PM's quote there....

I have known many politicians who can "talk the talk" and quote a bible verse to appeal to a particular audience.. I've even known a few in East Texas who were NOTORIOUS for attending Church in the months leading up to their campaign so they could brag about "being an active member of [whatever] church" - one guy would actually join the choir until the election was over.

On the OTHER hand, there are guys like our late Sheriff, and our current Police Chief who will teach a Bible study, or serve as a speaker for a Sunday Morning sermon, and their "walk" is VERY consistent with their talk.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    To PM's quote there....

I have known many politicians who can "talk the talk" and quote a bible verse to appeal to a particular audience.. I've even known a few in East Texas who were NOTORIOUS for attending Church in the months leading up to their campaign so they could brag about "being an active member of [whatever] church" - one guy would actually join the choir until the election was over.

On the OTHER hand, there are guys like our late Sheriff, and our current Police Chief who will teach a Bible study, or serve as a speaker for a Sunday Morning sermon, and their "walk" is VERY consistent with their talk.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    started a topic For PM "Who is a Christian"

For PM "Who is a Christian"

This question is being considered in a Christian only forum. Let's see how it goes here.

Right. No matter who's in power, there's bound to be a decently-sized group in opposition. If you want to call Christian politicians pseudo, I think a definition of a true Christian is in order.