Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

For PM "Who is a Christian"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    How do we know if somebody is "happily married"? Would a wedding license do the trick? A statement by one of the spouses? A statement by BOTH spouses?

Or would we look at how much time they spend together, how much they enjoy being around each other, how faithful they are to one another..... how they talk about each other, how they live their lives...
    I think BP's earlier statement covers this: self-identification. There is no other test without arguing definitions (which is endless and subjective). Better to ask "what does that mean to you?" and realize that "if one acts/thinks thus, so will they all" is a false statement.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
    I understand that such beliefs would preclude someone from being an orthodox Christian, but wouldn't they still be an unorthodox Christian, in that case? For example, Oneness Pentecostals consider themselves to be Christian, despite their rejection of the Triune Godhead. Would you say that Oneness Pentecostals are not "real" Christians?
    I think the term "unorthodox Christianity" is a polite way of saying "A Christian in Name Only". The question that still needs to be asked is "have they replaced the essentials?"

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    Sure, go right ahead! :P :)
    It kinda reminds me of when my wife asks, "can you scootchie over"?

Leave a comment:

• Kristian Joensen
    replied
    I love that! Can I use that?
    Sure, go right ahead! :P :)

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    How do we know if somebody is "happily married"? Would a wedding license do the trick? A statement by one of the spouses? A statement by BOTH spouses?

Or would we look at how much time they spend together, how much they enjoy being around each other, how faithful they are to one another..... how they talk about each other, how they live their lives...

The PROOF of the banana puddin is in the TASTING!*

*ok, so that doesn't apply so much

Leave a comment:

• Boxing Pythagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I think this probably then gets into the nitty gritty of who the Jesus is they call Lord. To the Mormon, Jesus is the brother of Lucifer, and the spirit-child of the Father (who himself was once a spirit-child), born on the planet Kolob, and that eventually, like his father before him, he grew up and became a god through his mighty works. To the Jehovah Witness, Jesus is the archangel Michael. To the orthodox Christian, Jesus is a member of the eternal Triune Godhead. Three distinct persons who share the same essence or nature.

These distinctions may seem unimportant to the outsider, but its the difference between making Jesus Lord, and making Mickey Mouse Lord in orthodox theology.
    I understand that such beliefs would preclude someone from being an orthodox Christian, but wouldn't they still be an unorthodox Christian, in that case? For example, Oneness Pentecostals consider themselves to be Christian, despite their rejection of the Triune Godhead. Would you say that Oneness Pentecostals are not "real" Christians?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    Regarding JW's and Mormon's I would use creedal orthodoxy as a sort of rule of thumby litmust test. So agreement with the Apostle's, Nicene, Chalcedonian and Athenasian creeds.
    I love that! Can I use that?

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Yeah, and AGAIN I'll point out that Just becomes somebody "becomes a Mormon" doesn't necessarily make them "NOT a Christian", because the Mormons are very sneaky about hiding their weirder doctrines -- they want you going in thinking that they are just "the RESTORED Church", and that the Book of Mormon is "another Testament of our Lord Jesus". It's during their indoctrination that you learn new meanings of familiar terms, etc...
    Yeah, I don't know how many times I've heard ex-Mormons express surprise about the church's teachings. The other day I was listening to the testimony of Lynn Wilder who was a BYU Professor and was shocked to learn about the church's past, and its stranger bits of doctrine. Things that didn't come to light for her until her son got into trouble with the church when he expressed doubts about Mormonism based on his reading of the New Testament. She's now an orthodox Christian.

Leave a comment:

• Kristian Joensen
    replied
    It seemed from that post that the essentials you propose for calling oneself Christian are confessing in one's heart that Jesus is Lord, and believing that God raised Jesus from the dead. However, as you seem to acknowledge, this would include other groups (like Mormons and JW's) who I am quite often told are not real Christians. I don't understand how your reference to Revelation 22:19 is supposed to disqualify these groups from their adherence to Romans 10:9, though.

Regarding JW's and Mormon's I would use creedal orthodoxy as a sort of rule of thumby litmust test. So agreement with the Apostle's, Nicene, Chalcedonian and Athenasian creeds.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I think this probably then gets into the nitty gritty of who the Jesus is they call Lord. To the Mormon, Jesus is the brother of Lucifer, and the spirit-child of the Father (who himself was once a spirit-child), born on the planet Kolob, and that eventually, like his father before him, he grew up and became a god through his mighty works. To the Jehovah Witness, Jesus is the archangel Michael. To the orthodox Christian, Jesus is a member of the eternal Triune Godhead. Three distinct persons who share the same essence or nature.

These distinctions may seem unimportant to the outsider, but its the difference between making Jesus Lord, and making Mickey Mouse Lord in orthodox theology.
    Yeah, and AGAIN I'll point out that Just becomes somebody "becomes a Mormon" doesn't necessarily make them "NOT a Christian", because the Mormons are very sneaky about hiding their weirder doctrines -- they want you going in thinking that they are just "the RESTORED Church", and that the Book of Mormon is "another Testament of our Lord Jesus". It's during their indoctrination that you learn new meanings of familiar terms, etc...

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    It seemed from that post that the essentials you propose for calling oneself Christian are confessing in one's heart that Jesus is Lord, and believing that God raised Jesus from the dead. However, as you seem to acknowledge, this would include other groups (like Mormons and JW's) who I am quite often told are not real Christians. I don't understand how your reference to Revelation 22:19 is supposed to disqualify these groups from their adherence to Romans 10:9, though.

Last edited by Adrift; 02-17-2015, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    To be a Christian, or not to be a Christian?
    By Jove, I think he's GOT it!

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    I thought it was "to be, or not to be"?
    To be a Christian, or not to be a Christian?

Leave a comment:

• Boxing Pythagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Have you even bothered to read my posts? I answered this question in post #21.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    That is the question, isn't it.
    I thought it was "to be, or not to be"?

Leave a comment: