Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Privilege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harrison Bergeron?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I get the "privilege" statement. Yes, I am privileged in many ways. I can check it.

So, now what?

Is there something that's supposed to come after the checking part?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        I get the "privilege" statement. Yes, I am privileged in many ways. I can check it.

So, now what?

Is there something that's supposed to come after the checking part?
        Taxation.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Taxation.
          DeFiled.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            DeFiled.
            APPealed. (there's an APP for that!)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is this the part where I say I'm proud to be a Black teen, with privilege(in general) in a 1st world country or no?
              "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                I disagree. Every man has male privilege in the sense of not ever having to worry about getting pregnant and experiencing those physically tolling nine months, or dealing with messy periods and painful menstrual cramps. The concept of male privilege attributes something to every male person, based on the presence of certain genitalia, but it makes no sense to claim that this is sexist. It's objective fact.

Or have I misunderstood you somehow?

"Harrison Bergeron" is indeed a well-articulated warning against playing to the lowest common denominator. That's why efforts to achieve equality should primarily be focused on lifting up those who are in disadvantaged positions. But I'm sure Kurt Vonnegut would agree that it'd be silly if the people who were attractive and strong started complaining about the fact that people were trying to uplift the disadvantaged but not the already advantaged. Or if the already advantaged started making dumb graphics trying to argue that the disadvantaged were actually the advantaged.
                So you believe that those who are disadvantage by the clear pretty privilege in our society should be "lifted up"?
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  So you believe that those who are disadvantage by the clear pretty privilege in our society should be "lifted up"?
                  I guess. If attractive people are unfairly receiving higher wages, you don't have to force them to take a pay cut; increasing the wages of the unattractive to achieve income equality would work. You don't have to shame attractive people and lower their self-esteem; rather, you positively boost the self-esteem of unattractive people. Things like that.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

If white privilege is a thing, and male privilege is a thing, is pretty privilege a thing?
                    It’s all to do with sex and pecking orders and how people high up in the pecking order, because they are pretty or wealthy or charming or intelligent or some combination, reserve for themselves other pretty people to have sex with and fend off the lower castes with photographs, movies and television shows rather than just punching them in the face … or something. (needs a bit of work – Ed.)
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                      I disagree. Every man has male privilege in the sense of not ever having to worry about getting pregnant and experiencing those physically tolling nine months, or dealing with messy periods and painful menstrual cramps. The concept of male privilege attributes something to every male person, based on the presence of certain genitalia, but it makes no sense to claim that this is sexist. It's objective fact.

Or have I misunderstood you somehow?
                      How is that a privilege??? That is just biology. I think being able to give birth to a new human being is a wonderful privilege that men can't share. It depends on how you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                        Is this the part where I say I'm proud to be a Black teen, with privilege(in general) in a 1st world country or no?
                        Yes...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

If men have male privilege because of the hardships that women face, then women have female privilege because of the hardships that men face (such as, for example, dying younger on average).

For about the past ten years of my life, I have suffered from an unusual and extremely uncomfortable digestion issue. (I'd rather not get into specifics.) I am naturally and noticeably disadvantaged in this area, through no fault of my own. Do those of you who don't suffer from my particular problem (which would be all of you, I guarantee it) have "healthy gut privilege"?

Comment

If men have male privilege because of the hardships that women face, then women have female privilege because of the hardships that men face (such as, for example, dying younger on average).

For about the past ten years of my life, I have suffered from an unusual and extremely uncomfortable digestion issue. (I'd rather not get into specifics.) I am naturally and noticeably disadvantaged in this area, through no fault of my own. Do those of you who don't suffer from my particular problem (which would be all of you, I guarantee it) have "healthy gut privilege"?
                            Considering I will need a liver transplant one day because of my diabetes and I am on some pretty strong meds, I think you need to check your gut privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Considering I will need a liver transplant one day because of my diabetes and I am on some pretty strong meds, I think you need to check your gut privilege.
                              I'm just trying to explore how far the idea of privilege can be taken. I'm trying to illustrate, with the examples from my own life, how ridiculous the concept seems to be.

Comment

I'm just trying to explore how far the idea of privilege can be taken. I'm trying to illustrate, with the examples from my own life, how ridiculous the concept seems to be.
                                duh.

Everyone has advantages and disadvantages. It's part of life. We all have to deal with the life we have and the circumstances we find ourselves in. If the PC crowd had their way, we would all be clones.

Comment