Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CUNY abolishes use of “Mr.,” “Mrs.” and “Ms.”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUNY abolishes use of “Mr.,” “Mrs.” and “Ms.”

Source: Wall Street Journal

“Mr.,” “Mrs.” and “Ms.” are being shown the door at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York.

In a new policy that has sparked debate among academics, school staffers have been advised to refrain from using gendered salutations in correspondence with students—and instead use a student’s full name, according to an internal memo sent out earlier this month.

© Copyright Original Source

Source

Such progress! When will science-denying bigots realize that biological sex is such an outdated, prejudicial, patriarchal, sexist, misogynist concept?

Edit: for some reason, when I got to this story via Google it was not blocked with a subscription, but it is in the link.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

When we were kids we got in trouble for NOT using proper names. "Hey YOU" was a really bad choice.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      When we were kids we got in trouble for NOT using proper names. "Hey YOU" was a really bad choice.
      Back in the days of cis-heteronormative patriarchal gender-binary oppression, you mean.

Comment

I had an "Uncle Bill" when I was a kid. He would come over to the house, often bringing ice cream or stuff for us kids, and hang out with my parents.

When I was in High School, I found out - to my utter horror - that he wasn't related to us AT ALL!!! Much less an UNCLE!

But we weren't allowed to call adults by first names, and "Mr. Taylor" was too formal, so we were taught to call him "Uncle Bill".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I had an "Uncle Bill" when I was a kid. He would come over to the house, often bringing ice cream or stuff for us kids, and hang out with my parents.

When I was in High School, I found out - to my utter horror - that he wasn't related to us AT ALL!!! Much less an UNCLE!

But we weren't allowed to call adults by first names, and "Mr. Taylor" was too formal, so we were taught to call him "Uncle Bill".
          When I was really little, we ate at Burger King every Friday with an older lady from our church. One of the ladies who worked there I would get to know as "Grandma".
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I guess this is what happens when tumblr is down.

Comment

Your continued use of traditionalist patriarchal anti-non-heteronormative bigot words (e.g., such vile and exclusionary terms as "Uncle" and "Grandma") is oppressing me. Stop it.

Edit: I think I understand SJW's now. This is kind of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                Edit: I think I understand SJW's now. This is kind of fun.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

What was the line from "No Country for Old Men?" "Everything went to hell when we stopped using Ma'am and Sir."
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    What was the line from "No Country for Old Men?" "Everything went to hell when we stopped using Ma'am and Sir."
                    That movie was the most boring, narratively unsatisfying, best movie I've ever seen.

Comment

That movie was the most boring, narratively unsatisfying, best movie I've ever seen.
                      Here is the actual quote: "But I think once you quit hearing "sir" and "ma'am," the rest is soon to follow..." And it wasn't that bad - it was worth one viewing.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Here is the actual quote: "But I think once you quit hearing "sir" and "ma'am," the rest is soon to follow..." And it wasn't that bad - it was worth one viewing.
                        Yeah, it's a good movie. Just dry and very narratively nontraditional. Joe Abercrombie's review of it sums up the movie really well.

Favorite quote from that review:

"Acting is equally understated and effective across the board, particularly oscar-winning Javier Bardem, who produces one of the all time great screen psycopaths, exuding relaxed menace as he calmly slaughters his way across Texas under some of the most terrifying hair ever captured on film."

Comment

Source: Wall Street Journal

“Mr.,” “Mrs.” and “Ms.” are being shown the door at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York.

In a new policy that has sparked debate among academics, school staffers have been advised to refrain from using gendered salutations in correspondence with students—and instead use a student’s full name, according to an internal memo sent out earlier this month.

© Copyright Original Source

Source

Such progress! When will science-denying bigots realize that biological sex is such an outdated, prejudicial, patriarchal, sexist, misogynist concept?

Edit: for some reason, when I got to this story via Google it was not blocked with a subscription, but it is in the link.
                          I appreciate CUNY's kindhearted effort to help students who genuinely struggle with gender identity issues by not wanting to possibly distress them while they sort things out during a very difficult time in their lives, but it seems that a better solution would be to simply allow each individual student to give a personal preference.

Ah, what the hell. The solution sounds somewhat silly, but I hardly feel like they should be slammed for what clearly seems like an honest attempt to be helpful.
                          Last edited by fm93; 02-10-2015, 03:34 PM.
                          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Yeah, it's a good movie. Just dry and very narratively nontraditional. Joe Abercrombie's review of it sums up the movie really well.

Favorite quote from that review:

"Acting is equally understated and effective across the board, particularly oscar-winning Javier Bardem, who produces one of the all time great screen psycopaths, exuding relaxed menace as he calmly slaughters his way across Texas under some of the most terrifying hair ever captured on film."
                            I think my favorite part of that movie was what Carla Jean Moss says at the end. I agree with the reviewer that Anton is one of the greatest psychopaths, but her bit at the end made that movie. I didn't really care for the movie, though.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                              I appreciate CUNY's kindhearted effort to help students who genuinely struggle with gender identity issues by not wanting to possibly distress them while they sort things out during a very difficult time in their lives, but it seems that a better solution would be to simply allow each individual student to give a personal preference.

Ah, what the hell. The solution sounds somewhat silly, but I hardly feel like they should be slammed for what clearly seems like an honest attempt to be helpful.
                              Maybe I'm just feeling mean-spirited today, but there are some things that are so obviously ridiculous IMO that, well-meaning or not, they deserve to be mocked.

For example, I once read (rather, skimmed) a blog post by a feminist who argued, quite seriously, that sexual intercourse of any sort was by definition rape, and that consensual sex between a man and a woman was inherently impossible. She was not joking.

Comment